Grant Gunnell Update

8. Sam Houston
Even though Sam Houston ranks near the bottom of Conference USA, don't be surprised if this team easily exceeds this prediction. For starters, coach KC Keeler is 85-27 with the Bearkats, including a FCS title in 2020. Also, the team wisely redshirted a handful of players with an eye to '23 and beyond as it made the move to FBS. Defense should be the strength of Sam Houston's first team at the FBS level, as this unit boasts preseason Athlon Sports second-team All-C-USA selections in Markel Perry (DL), Trevor Williams (LB) and Jordan Morris (CB). The offense has question marks up front (only one returning starter) and needs to find an answer at quarterback (potentially North Texas transfer Grant Gunnell).

LINK: https://athlonsports.com/college-football/conference-usa-football-2023-predictions

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

"Update" is not an update. But gonna laugh when the starting QB isn't Gunnell. I don't know how he stayed on the transfer market as a big name for so long unless everyone was giving a lot of credit to his high school career. 

Did you watch him attempt a pass while with us? I’m the opposite and laugh if he is named the starter. That would be really bad news for the Bearkats.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

29 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Did you watch him attempt a pass while with us? I’m the opposite and laugh if he is named the starter. That would be really bad news for the Bearkats.

Or it could mean that there was something wrong in his game that an experienced QB coach could help correct. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

On 6/7/2023 at 6:37 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Or it could mean that there was something wrong in his game that an experienced QB coach could help correct. 

Grant is the perfect example of a player in the transfer portal attempting to find a better situation on a new team, and not trying to gain NIL $$.   I think most players in the portal are there for the same reason.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, NT80 said:

Grant is the perfect example of a player in the transfer portal attempting to find a better situation on a new team, and not trying to gain NIL $$.   I think most players in the portal are there for the same reason.

Don't know about GG, but I bet there are some helicopter parents around telling these kids that there is certain NFL time/money down the line if they play their schools cards right.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1