UNT lands OU transfer SG CJ Noland

just gonna repost this with a few edits since the "we need another big man" people who stopped learning about basketball in 1998 are back out posting again:

it could be a luxury, but I don't really think we "need" any more size than what is already on the roster.

looking across our AAC foes and really the entire college basketball landscape, save for maybe the absolute elite programs most everyone is running out at least 3 if not 4 guards around a "center" who really is more of a classic power forward.

my assumption on the starting line-up, at least early on, next season:

1. Rubin Jones - 6'5" 190
2. John Buggs III - 6'3" 185
3. Matt Stone - 6'4" 205  CJ Noland - 6'3" 230
4. Aaron Scott - 6'7" 200 (that feels small...he at least plays bigger)
5. Moulaye Sissoko - 6'9" 240

that's plenty of size across the whole floor, especially the way they team defend and team rebound. I anticipate we'll still use a pretty tight 8 man rotation...Allen the Ole Miss transfer is 6'8" 230 and will likely be the primary 4/5 back-up...if Morgan gets his line up to something like 2ppg, 2rpg in 20 appearances, I'll call it a win...Edwards I'm assuming will be the primary bench scorer with Moore growing into a contributing role throughout the season. Stone now presumably moves to the bench where he can fill in time at the 2, 3 and 4. no clue on Cotton.

with all that in place, my priority with the open spots would be an upgrade to Stone at the 3...an experienced tough 6'5"-ish guard who rebounds and shoots 35%+ from 3 and can play some PF in a small line-up. (I was off by about 2 inches, but with his strong frame you can easily get away with CJ playing stretches at the 4) maybe then a wirey 6'7"-ish high school kid...raw with some upside...I think we're looking for one more immediate contributor and an upside project with the final scholarships

• Upvote 9
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

just gonna repost this with a few edits since the "we need another big man" people who stopped learning about basketball in 1998 are back out posting again:

it could be a luxury, but I don't really think we "need" any more size than what is already on the roster.

looking across our AAC foes and really the entire college basketball landscape, save for maybe the absolute elite programs most everyone is running out at least 3 if not 4 guards around a "center" who really is more of a classic power forward.

that's plenty of size across the whole floor, especially the way they team defend and team rebound. I anticipate we'll still use a pretty tight 8 man rotation...Allen the Ole Miss transfer is 6'8" 230 and will likely be the primary 4/5 back-up...if Morgan gets his line up to something like 2ppg, 2rpg in 20 appearances, I'll call it a win...Edwards I'm assuming will be the primary bench scorer with Moore growing into a contributing role throughout the season. Stone now presumably moves to the bench where he can fill in time at the 2, 3 and 4. no clue on Cotton.

with all that in place, my priority with the open spots would be an upgrade to Stone at the 3...an experienced tough 6'5"-ish guard who rebounds and shoots 35%+ from 3 and can play some PF in a small line-up. (I was off by about 2 inches, but with his strong frame you can easily get away with CJ playing stretches at the 4) maybe then a wirey 6'7"-ish high school kid...raw with some upside...I think we're looking for one more immediate contributor and an upside project with the final scholarships

I agree with this! Great write up 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I don't think anyone stopped following the game back around '98, but what we are proposing is a true back up to Sissoko, like he was earlier in the year to Abou.  They don't have to be a true, "back to the basket" player like Zach Simmons, but someone with Sissoko's build to give him a couple breaks a game would be my preference.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Awesome read! Question - Where is the scoring coming from within the starting lineup?  At first glance, I'm not seeing point production replacement from last season's departures.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Excellent analysis @Censored by Laurie

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Awesome read! Question - Where is the scoring coming from within the starting lineup?  At first glance, I'm not seeing point production replacement from last season's departures.  

We all asked the same thing when we lost Javion, Zach, & Reese after ‘21.  
Tylor & TB3 stepped right up.   
I don’t know if Edwards is the next in the amazing JUCO guards we’ve had (really tough to saddle a guy with Javion/Tylor-like expectations) on this run, but I look forward to seeing how his game translates.   

I said this last offseason, and was off, but maybe this is the year Rubin steps up!  And I think Buggs is going to remind us a lot of Drez, if Hodge uses them in the same way.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Sissoko's finish to last season was more impressive each game he played.  I'm excited to see how the new additions meld with the returning players.   Some great pickups so far during the offseason.  I hope for a couple more to finish it up.  

• Upvote 5

On 6/7/2023 at 7:31 AM, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm guessing that Allen, the 6'8" transfer from Mississippi State would help a lot in rebounding; he only needs 259 to a career total of 3,000.

• Upvote 6

On 6/8/2023 at 12:28 AM, GrayEagle said:

Morgan has signed with some group who is supposed to do get him a transfer to the best position available in line with his talents.

Was this just posted for shock value or do you have a source?

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it somewhere but I haven't found it.  It was a name and a number like Legends 11.  He wasn't the main person but he was mentioned in addition to another player.  I've queried his name and followed all postings to the bitter end.  I'll keep looking but unless he gets a transfer I probably won't find it.