Colorado holds 'substantive' talks with Big 12 as Buffaloes consider leaving Pac-12

Jonnyeagle

I don't think it should be lost on anyone that if the Pac starts to lose schools we need them to collapse entirely. A Pac that loses 2 or even 4 more schools, but whose teams have nowhere else to go has the potential to cause havoc for us. I would not want a scenario where out of desperation they try to snag Tulane and Memphis along with SMU. 

• Upvote 1

PAC12 just lost their 2 biggest schools financially, they are on the verge of loosing  their next two in Washington and Oregon to the Big10, and they do not have a media deal.  whats going to be left of the Pac12?  they would no longer be a power conference, and would likely need to merge with the MWC, while watching a couple of their schools join the big12.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

SMU in this new pay to play era of college football is a juggernaut. The budget they have at the moment to pay players is on another level. I think if they move to the west coast they will lose some of the luster with having the west coast scheduling and timing. Even tho it is P5 football I think it will hurt them not having any texas teams. 

Washington and Oregon aren’t staying in a conference with SMU for long.  PAC 12 will morph into a “MWC+” at best.  Stanford and Cal are likely to leave also. So you are most likely looking at a “PAC 12” with the only holdovers that actually were P5 before 2010 of Oregon State and Washington State.  That conference would not be significantly better than the current AAC if at all.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

SMU in this new pay to play era of college football is a juggernaut. The budget they have at the moment to pay players is on another level. I think if they move to the west coast they will lose some of the luster with having the west coast scheduling and timing. Even tho it is P5 football I think it will hurt them not having any texas teams. 

Smut was 7-6 last year.  All their $$ didn't show up on the scoreboard.   I really doubt they can buy their way into relevance.  And even if they win, they still have no fans in the stands.  A media nobody.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Smut was 7-6 last year.  All their $$ didn't show up on the scoreboard.   I really doubt they can buy their way into relevance.  And even if they win, they still have no fans in the stands.  A media nobody.

They beat us 48-10. The NIL money has really just started to flow this offseason. They have added a ton of P5 talent. I have heard from SMU sources that the combination of cupcake schedule the AAC gave SMU combined with the level of talent they have added if it doesn't equal 9-11 wins SMU will be looking for a new coach. Expectations are sky high. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If we are on course to continue to get curbstomped every time we play SMU, we hired the wrong coach.

It is not a knock on Eric Morris. It is just a fact that one team can and is paying every recruit 36-55k... With a couple recruits making near 100k.. While UNT just does not have that capability yet. Im sorry I just don't care who the coach is. 18-21 year old kids arent turning down an extra 40k. I'm 33 and I ain't turning down an extra 40k.

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It is not a knock on Eric Morris. It is just a fact that one team can and is paying every recruit 36-55k... With a couple recruits making near 100k.. While UNT just does not have that capability yet. Im sorry I just don't care who the coach is. 18-21 year old kids arent turning down an extra 40k. I'm 33 and I ain't turning down an extra 40k.

Smut would get a better return for their Million$ if they hired an elite Head Coach.  Rhett Lashlee is not that coach.  All the best players money can buy still need to be organized and made into a unit.  Think Nick Saban type coach with 40 assistants.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

What benefit is it getting curbed stomped yearly? Does it truly matter if you are in conference or not?

You don't want to jump up to a new conference and then immediately see the best teams leave. It's in the AAC's and UNT's best interest that SMU remains a member. I want UNT to play in the best possible conference. If that means there are 1 or 2 really tough games, then so be it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You don't want to jump up to a new conference and then immediately see the best teams leave. It's in the AAC's and UNT's best interest that SMU remains a member. I want UNT to play in the best possible conference. If that means there are 1 or 2 really tough games, then so be it. 

I agree with this.  We want to have some solidarity in the league at least initially.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Tell this to everyone in the Big12 who has benefitted from being in the same conference with Texas and OU.

YES!!  Conference affiliation matters.  I'd rather be in the conference with them while getting our butts kicked than not.  Playing against good teams brings interest, which brings more casual fans that might turn into serious fans and donors.  If we are always running from competition then why even compete in the first place?

This. 

Vanderbilt gets curb-stomped in football in the SEC every season, but they would never consider leaving it.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

This. 

Vanderbilt gets curb-stomped in football in the SEC every season, but they would never consider leaving it.

Vandy has zero interest in committing to be competitive on a level with the best of SEC.  They're in it because of affiliation and money, for sure, but that's it.

I like to think we can pursue both: align/affiliate ourselves with the most competitive programs we can get, with the largest possible audience, and eventually compete with them too.  I think that's where we differ from the Vandys of the world.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

The more I think about it, the more disturbing it is to see this messaging coming from @TheReal_jayD  If this is how our staff is thinking, already putting out excuses before they've played even a single down in a real game, we are in big trouble.

What is our staff thinking?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Tell this to everyone in the Big12 who has benefitted from being in the same conference with Texas and OU.

YES!!  Conference affiliation matters.  I'd rather be in the conference with them while getting our butts kicked than not.  Playing against good teams brings interest, which brings more casual fans that might turn into serious fans and donors.  If we are always running from competition then why even compete in the first place?

Ask Baylor fans who are older than 20 if you want to see how true this is.   They used to be the automatic win for EVERYONE in the Big XII...and now they're a perennial Top 25 squad

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

The more I think about it, the more disturbing it is to see this messaging coming from @TheReal_jayD  If this is how our staff is thinking, already putting out excuses before they've played even a single down in a real game, we are in big trouble.

I have my own opinions. As much as that is hard for some on the board to believe. The staff nor any one from the athletic department as mentioned a word to me about SMU. I am speaking on this as just someone that follows recruiting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 2

9 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

It's not what our coaches are thinking, and no one has even suggested that in this thread.

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2023 at 8:30 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Colorado to take the bait or otherwise Memphis is next in line. The big12 is under the impression that if they can get Colora

I don’t think Memphis is an option for the PAC 12 by themselves or even with a team west of DFW.  The PAC 12 has a problem with brands that bring large markets.  Memphis isn’t a large market and they 2nd or 3rd fiddle in that CFB market.   NOBOBY in the Memphis region except hard core Memphis fans (and fans of the PAC 12 team they are playing) is turning off a SEC, Big 12 or Big 10 game to watch Memphis play a PAC 12 opponent.  They know this and so do the media outlets they are trying to negotiate with.  Truth is if there were available options better than SMU and SDSU they would be in the rumor mill or probably already announced as additions.  It’s far more likely PAC 12 survives as a pumped up version of a MWC+ adding teams like SMU and points west than Tulane & Memphis.  The travel expense, splitting revenue with them and lack of fanbase they bring with them isn’t a value add. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I don’t think Memphis is an option for the PAC 12 by themselves or even with a team west of DFW.  The PAC 12 has a problem with brands that bring large markets.  Memphis isn’t a large market and they 2nd or 3rd fiddle in that CFB market.   NOBOBY in the Memphis region except hard core Memphis fans (and fans of the PAC 12 team they are playing) is turning off a SEC, Big 12 or Big 10 game to watch Memphis play a PAC 12 opponent.  They know this and so do the media outlets they are trying to negotiate with.  Truth is if there were available options better than SMU and SDSU they would be in the rumor mill or probably already announced as additions.  It’s far more likely PAC 12 survives as a pumped up version of a MWC+ adding teams like SMU and points west than Tulane & Memphis.  The travel expense, splitting revenue with them and lack of fanbase they bring with them isn’t a value add. 

I didn't say Pac12, I was referencing big12. 

I just saw this on 247/Sports. I wish we played SMU earlier in the season, before these players have time to jell. They will get a couple of losses early, because of road trips to a Oklahoma team that loaded up in the portal and pretty much the same for TCU.

"SMU football hit the transfer portal hard this offseason, bringing in quantity and quality proven by placing three new players on the Top247 transfer portal players this cycle.

The Mustangs added 26 players through the portal, 17 before the spring and another nine between spring and summer. That was good enough to give SMU the No. 12 transfer class in the country, topping the American Athletic Conference and all Group of 5 teams. In fact, SMU would be No. 1 in the Big 10, No. 2 in the Big 12, No. 4 in the Pac-12 and the ACC and No. 5 in the SEC.

Eight of SMU's transfers were four-star recruits coming out of high school and all 25 scholarship transfers are at least three-star transfers."

Edited by dodgefan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1