Colorado holds 'substantive' talks with Big 12 as Buffaloes consider leaving Pac-12

Jonnyeagle

While a move out of the Pac-12 is not assured, Colorado is performing due diligence to determine whether to return to the conference it once called home. The Buffaloes, like the rest of the Pac-12, remain in wait-and-see mode regarding a new media rights deal that has yet to be solidified.

Colorado and the Big 12 have met face-to-face while involved in consistent talks over a period several months, according to multiple sources. It was made clear that a move to the Big 12 would not be made without the support of football coach Deion Sanders.

read more: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/colorado-holds-substantive-talks-with-big-12-as-buffaloes-consider-leaving-pac-12/amp/

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

Haha.  Once the Buff bail, that conference is a heaping pile of dung in a shitty time zone.  I seriously doubt SMU leadership will approve that move. 

Heyyyyyy, I live in this shitty time zone. 

There’s going to be movement this month. SDSU has to notify the MW they are leaving by the end of the month or the amount to leave goes way up. 

I wonder if the PAC 12 tv deal is just lousy and behind the scenes they are throwing Hail Marys to keep the teams. Because once the deal is announced, all hell might break loose. 

• Upvote 7

13 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

Haha.  Once the Buff bail, that conference is a heaping pile of dung in a shitty time zone.  I seriously doubt SMU leadership will approve that move. 

Don't be so sure, their quest to be "P5" and prove they are still relevant knows no bounds. 

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, meanrob said:

Heyyyyyy, I live in this shitty time zone. 

There’s going to be movement this month. SDSU has to notify the MW they are leaving by the end of the month or the amount to leave goes way up. 

I wonder if the PAC 12 tv deal is just lousy and behind the scenes they are throwing Hail Marys to keep the teams. Because once the deal is announced, all hell might break loose. 

Lovely area, bad time zone for televised sports in this area. SMU will jump just to say they are P5 and to get away from us. They are that shallow. 

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Lovely area, bad time zone for televised sports in this area. SMU will jump just to say they are P5 and to get away from us. They are that shallow. 

Probably, but adding SDSU and SMU doesn’t save the PAC 12 from more cherry-picking 

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

It's only a shitty time zone for TVs in the East, not for probably 70% of their alumni base. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, meanrob said:

Not sure the Big12 would take Colorado just by themselves.   The Big12 Commish wants west coast media coverage. 

SDSU opened a new 35K football stadium last fall.   They are a favorite for a PAC12 invite and to help re-cover SoCal from USC and UCLA leaving soon.  Smut, not so much.  They were floated to media and fans but got laughed out of contention.

Yes, the PAC12 media deal, or lack of if it fails to compare to the Big12, will light a fuse of panic and possible exodus.

More conference chaos is good for NT.  The best we can hope for is the PAC12 losing several members to the Big12 then backfilling with MWC schools.  This in turn could lead to the AAC expanding also with programs like AF, Colo St and UNM.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

27 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

I've heard of Trump Derangement Syndrome, but some of you mental midgets, must have Mustang Derangement Syndrome. Getting negative emojis, when I am providing information, for a subject that is being discussed in this thread.

Quit painting with such a broad brush.  We have plenty on here that appreciate your postings.  To quote Stripes, "Lighten up Francis!".

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If we had the option, we'd jump too and start praising the PACXX.  We are that shallow.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, dodgefan said:

I've heard of Trump Derangement Syndrome, but some of you mental midgets, must have Mustang Derangement Syndrome. Getting negative emojis, when I am providing information, for a subject that is being discussed in this thread.

I didn’t react negatively but is it really “information”?  I mean I could create a YouTube channel talking about how Deion was scared too scared to wait around for a FBS job near Dallas to become available so he took the Colorado job.  It a Go Ponies Channel not exactly going to be championing rumors (no matter how valid or sourced they may be) of the PAC 12 demise before SMU goes.  🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

As previously mentioned, the BIG12 is making plans (article below) on purging the PAC12 (plus perhaps a couple basketball-only schools).  This could happen soon after the PAC12's media rights deal is announced.

Big 12 talks expansion, source says, as commish touts 'plan"

"...but the presidents and chancellors are in a holding pattern until the Pac-12 announces its television deal."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37781820/big-12-talks-expansion-source-says-commish-touts-plan

To keep the conference together save smu (who cares), we need Colorado to take the bait or otherwise Memphis is next in line. The big12 is under the impression that if they can get Colorado then one of the Arizona schools will come with. This would all but solidify the Big12, to a degree. The Pac12 would then be in obligatory mode in taking sdsu and smu. That would possibly put the AAC in backfill. Who, is the question. My guess is App State or Liberty. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:16 PM, UNTLifer said:

SMUt are wanna be, has beens.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Why?  Not necessarily disagreeing, just wondering about your reasoning.

SMU in this new pay to play era of college football is a juggernaut. The budget they have at the moment to pay players is on another level. I think if they move to the west coast they will lose some of the luster with having the west coast scheduling and timing. Even tho it is P5 football I think it will hurt them not having any texas teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

51 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

SMU in this new pay to play era of college football is a juggernaut. The budget they have at the moment to pay players is on another level. I think if they move to the west coast they will lose some of the luster with having the west coast scheduling and timing. Even tho it is P5 football I think it will hurt them not having any texas teams. 

Gotcha.  But isn't it better for us to be in a conference with SMU?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Gotcha.  But isn't it better for us to be in a conference with SMU?

I think yes. You can elevate yourself all you want but your status will still be defined by the company you keep. Ideally, SMU becomes a juggernaut but because football is still played with a ball on a field and not with bank account balances, we can still compete as long as we keep making the right hires.

For me, I don't want to keep being in CUSA 2.0 and AAC 2.0. A watered down G5 conference is a bad place to be. You can be dominant but at the end of the day, you're just the top sh!t on turd mountain.

• Upvote 2