Are we really on top of recruiting?

"Texas State’s 2023 recruiting class is nearing the half-century mark after three more transfers pledged this week: West Virginia defensive backs Caleb Coleman and Jaylon Shelton and Colorado offensive tackle Alex Harkey. And with Texas linebacker Derrick Brown committing last Friday, the Bobcats now have 49 new players, including 35 transfers from FBS or FCS schools and seven junior college players."

"Austin American Statesman"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

13 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

You may be right, but it's certainly not impossible in today's climate.  Colorado has 68 new scholarship players so far.

Yes, because Deion Sanders did not renew many scholarships if any.

I'm not sure how he is getting around the number of ships that can be offered in one year.

Not a whole lot of relevance to Texas State IMO.

Edited by GrandGreen

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I'm not sure how he is getting around the number of ships that can be offered in one year.

The reason it is relevant is because it shows what can be done in the current unregulated climate, when there is no longer any limit to the number of scholarships that can be offered in one year, other than total roster limits.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Answering my own question, there are no limits on the number of ships currently other than a max of 85.

Passed for a 2 year period to aid teams losing great numbers of players to the portal. 

These 4 guys were either back ups or not even on the depth chart at their P5 schools. GJ Kinne had a little brother that played football at TJC. I'm sure the connection pulled in Shelton and Harkey (both played at TJC). If Kinne expects these guys to come in and start right away, they will struggle. It's essentially like going to the gas station and buying a scratch off ticket. Sometimes you hit on them, other times you wasted your money (scholarship). Regardless of what the DCTF folks say, Texas State is not ready to compete for a conference championship. GJ pretty much had to gut the roster. It appears he brought over the majority of the Incarnate Word OL and a couple of skill guys from the team as well. I am interested to see how this all plays out, but Texas State has a long ways to go before they are competing for a conference title. They will be lucky to win 4 games next year. 

Schedule next year:

Baylor, UTSA, Jackson State, Nevada, Southern Miss, UL-La, ULM, Troy, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Arkansas State, and South Alabama

Recruits mentioned in article:

Caleb Coleman- WVU 

2022 (r-Fr.)

Played in five games

Added depth at safety and on special teams

Assisted on a tackle at Oklahoma State, at Iowa State and against Towson

Jaylon Shelton- WVU

2022 (r-So.)

Saw action at Texas Tech

Alex Harkey- Colorado

Harkey is a 6-foot-6, 300-pound offensive tackle that served as a reserve offensive lineman during his career with the Buffaloes.

Derrick Brown- Texas

A second-year linebacker from Texarkana, Texas.

FRESHMAN (2022)
Did not see any game action during the 2022 season.

• Harry featured this topic