Breaking: ASU Transfer DB Tarik Luckett Commits to North Texas

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Iowa state defense has been the best D in big 12 last half decade.. and they haven’t been over ran with 5 star guys. that found guys that fit the system. I’m going to trust them till I’m proven wrong. I don’t think it will be a one year turn around. But using the same tactics they used in building Iowa state defense Kratch and Caponi will get this thing rolling

This is an encouraging take.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Iowa state defense has been the best D in big 12 last half decade.. and they haven’t been over ran with 5 star guys. that found guys that fit the system. I’m going to trust them till I’m proven wrong. I don’t think it will be a one year turn around. But using the same tactics they used in building Iowa state defense Kratch and Caponi will get this thing rolling

Jon Heacock is not out DC though.

I get the excitement of newness, & I know your role has kinda morphed over the last year or so to a more diplomatic-type, but please understand the concerns are very valid.  

When one of the top LBs to wear Green just graduated (the guy that basically kept the defense somewhat respectable almost single-handedly), and you lose your 2nd best LB to the portal, I think it’s completely acceptable to expect some growing pains under a 1st-year DC.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Of course you will. Of course you do. You're a quasi beat writer trying to maintain access. Can't be doggin down results, regardless of what the results are, and expect to maintain access. Same shit was said by you and others with littrell. Shit, don't recall you being around here during the mcarney years, but dumbasses were defending him, too. Hell, RV had loyalists, somehow. I don't fall for that BS, nor should anyone else. Insert new name, lather - rinse - repeat. 

And btw, trust is earned. Here. Earn it here. Until then, pssshhhhh. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 8

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Of course you will. Of course you do. You're a quasi beat writer trying to maintain access. Can't be doggin down results, regardless of what the results are, and expect to maintain access. Same shit was said by you and others with littrell. Shit, don't recall you being around here during the mcarney years, but dumbasses were defending him, too. Hell, RV had loyalists, somehow. I don't fall for that BS, nor should anyone else. Insert new name, lather - rinse - repeat. 

And btw, trust is earned. Here. Earn it here. Until then, pssshhhhh. 

stay true love and hip hop GIF by VH1

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Let’s hope this works out better than our last ASU DB transfer. 
As with most of our recent transfers, I don’t see this as someone expected to come in and start. Many of these seem like depth prices, which is fine. 

• Upvote 5

On 5/27/2023 at 9:37 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

Jon is not our DC. But we brought in 3 of his disciples. I def think there will be growing pains. The point I was making is the Iowa State defense is not loaded with 5 star talent. Iowa State has not finished better than fifth in the big 12  the last half decade in recruiting. And only came in 5th once. But yet the defense has been near the top in both country and confernce year end and year out. 

This keeps being said. It's like signing a liability waiver. I think we're in good hands, but I also think we're going to suck is really what I'm hearing. We can't be in good hands and suck. And going from something like 110th in defense this year to 99th in defense in '24 isn't the flex I want to see, but bet ya ass it's the one we'll get. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

13 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

110th in defense this year to 99th in defense in '24 isn't the flex I want to see

Someone will flex it.

Someone will say "that's not a flex"

Someone will respond, "look at where we are coming from.  Rome wasn't built in a day."

Here in Denton, it's that.  Rinse and repeat.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This keeps being said. It's like signing a liability waiver. I think we're in good hands, but I also think we're going to suck is really what I'm hearing. We can't be in good hands and suck. And going from something like 110th in defense this year to 99th in defense in '24 isn't the flex I want to see, but bet ya ass it's the one we'll get. 

I know it is the off season, but not sure what would make you happy. 5 star recruits? Big splash hire?

As others have said, I am not sure what to expect. On paper, it might not be flashy, but we have seen this work before. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

I know it is the off season, but not sure what would make you happy. 5 star recruits? Big splash hire?

As others have said, I am not sure what to expect. On paper, it might not be flashy, but we have seen this work before. 

Yeah me too.  I’m just elated we hqve someone other than mediocre Seth at the helm.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Caponi could just as easily surprise us all & get his defense clicking early… who knows?

We need to pump the brakes on both sides.  Just because he was on IASt’s staff, doesn’t mean he’s going to have NT playing at that level right away.  And just because he’s a 1st-time DC doesn’t mean he’s gonna suck.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Someone will flex it.

Someone will say "that's not a flex"

Someone will respond, "look at where we are coming from.  Rome wasn't built in a day."

Here in Denton, it's that.  Rinse and repeat.

Sorta like watching a QB throw costly interceptions 

Then being told said quarterback is the best we’ve ever seen…if you squint a little and have bad short term memory

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, BigWillie said:

I think, if we're actually going to be honest with ourselves, we all know what to expect. Snagging Rogers from ULM at the time seemed like it was great. Then Spring ball and the spring game happened. He couldn't (while Aune did) separate himself from the pack, and that's concerning. Also dd in that we've lost a lot of production to the portal and have been replacing that production with patchwork players with minimal to zero collegiate production. All the while being told give it time. Time is no longer a construct in the world of college athletics. You're either playing the game within the set rules well or you're not. We aren't. 

*I get we have 4 or 5 solid commits to the '24 class. That's the '24 class. We have a season to play in 2023 and there were countless diamonds in the portal. I know what to expect. 

• Upvote 1