We Should Be All Over This Young Man

UNTLifer

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/article/micah-robinson-tcu-smu-lsu-mississippi-state-illinois-210725652/

Makes me want to barf reading his thoughts on smu.  Why we haven't been in contact is beyond me.  Don't get me wrong, I like our JUCO and portal recruiting so far, but we should take the same approach as the new football staff and hit the local schools.  Too much talent in this area to not even reach out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/article/micah-robinson-tcu-smu-lsu-mississippi-state-illinois-210725652/

Makes me want to barf reading his thoughts on smu.  Why we haven't been in contact is beyond me.  Don't get me wrong, I like our JUCO and portal recruiting so far, but we should take the same approach as the new football staff and hit the local schools.  Too much talent in this area to not even reach out.

Maybe NT is not interested or did contact him and there was no interest from him.

Per you, there is too much talent in the area; frankly NT or any other school is limited in the number of recruits they can significantly invest in.   

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Per you, there is too much talent in the area; frankly NT or any other school is limited in the number of recruits they can significantly invest in.   

So we are limited but TCU and SMU are not?  We should always recruit our “home area” first. We should have relationships with all the schools but especially the traditional powers like Duncanville.  There is another thread about a young man from Denton High. I don’t think we ever contacted him or set foot on their campus. That doesn’t mean we will sign a local kid every year, but we should have those relationships in place. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So we are limited but TCU and SMU are not?  We should always recruit our “home area” first. We should have relationships with all the schools but especially the traditional powers like Duncanville.  There is another thread about a young man from Denton High. I don’t think we ever contacted him or set foot on their campus. That doesn’t mean we will sign a local kid every year, but we should have those relationships in place. 

I’m not trying to start an argument because I agree we can recruit more local talent, but how do you know he wasn’t contacted and just said thanks but not interested?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I’m not trying to start an argument because I agree we can recruit more local talent, but how do you know he wasn’t contacted and just said thanks but not interested?

I don’t, but it was recently reported that McCasland didn’t recruit locally much, if at all. I just think we should be recruiting and have relationships with the local schools, especially the local power teams like Duncanville. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

You know that is not what I am implying. 

My comment:  "Per you, there is too much talent in the area; frankly NT or any other school is limited in the number of recruits they can significantly invest in."   

Do you not agree that whether it is 5 or 500; there is a limit to how many players you can effectively recruit?

If you can get a better return on your recruiting in Mongolia than the local area; than I would focus on Mongolia.

It is obvious that NT or any other team should recruit in their area because it is easier, cheaper, and should bring in more fans than an equal player from elsewhere. 

Once they have on a NT uniform, I care about how they perform and it really does not matter where they came from.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

You know that is not what I am implying. 

My comment:  "Per you, there is too much talent in the area; frankly NT or any other school is limited in the number of recruits they can significantly invest in."   

Do you not agree that whether it is 5 or 500; there is a limit to how many players you can effectively recruit?

If you can get a better return on your recruiting in Mongolia than the local area; than I would focus on Mongolia.

It is obvious that NT or any other team should recruit in their area because it is easier, cheaper, and should bring in more fans than an equal player from elsewhere. 

Once they have on a NT uniform, I care about how they perform and it really does not matter where they came from.  

I think essentially we are on the same page. 

1.  I agree that once they have North Texas on their jersey, it doesn’t really matter to me where they are from. 

2.  I too, want the best player regardless of where they come from. 

3.  But, I think it is beneficial on many levels to the program to cultivate relationships with the local schools. 

• Upvote 3

He didn't say that UNT didn't contact him. What he said was that he is interested in a number of P5 programs and that he lives 15 minutes from SMU. Just because we are not on his list doesn't mean lack of effort on our part. It seems that when a local prospect doesn't include UNT as a school of interest a few members of this board automatically blames our staff for not doing their job with no basis for their post.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

He didn't say that UNT didn't contact him. What he said was that he is interested in a number of P5 programs and that he lives 15 minutes from SMU. Just because we are not on his list doesn't mean lack of effort on our part. It seems that when a local prospect doesn't include UNT as a school of interest a few members of this board automatically blames our staff for not doing their job with no basis for their post.

Since this is directed at me, let me clarify.  It was reported numerous times that McCasland didn’t recruit locally much, if at all. Based on that, I made the assumption that we really never contacted him. There are zero reports that we ever offered. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1