Collective?

Caught up with a BU grad during HS grad party yesterday and we talked about Baylor’s challenges in new B12 and their NIL collective. That’s the challenge UNT faces - the new NIL and $. I don’t know about y’all but North Texas was an affordable college option for myself vs other schools during my time. I didn’t come from much $. How does UNT’s collective stack up vs TX and other AAC schools? What’s your thoughts on the $ collective competition scenario the Mean Green are in? 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • RV 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

The only one that I know of that received NIL money that mentioned the amount was (I believe) KD Davis who received a little more than $8,000 last year.  Don't depend on the Light the Tower Collective to give out information.

KD Davis received substantially more NIL monies than $8K, and around 30 total football players were a part of the Light the Tower Collective last season. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

17 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

We have no idea, because they're not giving us any info. I'd imagine it's not great though.

How can it be transparent,  in terms of payments made, if you are giving different amounts to different players?  Explain to me how that works?  We are not SMU.  They are paying 100 players at a minimum $30k a year or whatnot.

• RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

How can it be transparent,  in terms of payments made, if you are giving different amounts to different players?  Explain to me how that works?  We are not SMU.  They are paying 100 players at a minimum $30k a year or whatnot.

I don't care how much the players are receiving, I don't think any(or the majority) of schools collectives shout from the rooftops that they paid X player tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. That information usually comes from people who know people in the athletics department.

I'm more concerned about how much is in the coffers, what is being done to fill said coffers, how are they reaching out? What is the level of activity and give a damn within the collective?

Like @NorthTexasWeLove mentioned, I think they got RV to run this deal because he was and is notoriously tight lipped on giving any relevant or useful information outside of "Look we have a collective! It's doing good things." 

My frustration sits squarely in players like Nixon or Jyaire, or hell any of our incoming highly rated recruits, what are we doing to retain these guys when they're being offered sums of cash to MAYBE crack the two deep for an SEC or Big 10 school? Or are we perpetually stuck in the cycle of losing a good player, the replacing them with a unknown JUCO or 4th string P5 guy looking for playing time?

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I don't care how much the players are receiving, I don't think any(or the majority) of schools collectives shout from the rooftops that they paid X player tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. That information usually comes from people who know people in the athletics department.

I'm more concerned about how much is in the coffers, what is being done to fill said coffers, how are they reaching out? What is the level of activity and give a damn within the collective?

Like @NorthTexasWeLove mentioned, I think they got RV to run this deal because he was and is notoriously tight lipped on giving any relevant or useful information outside of "Look we have a collective! It's doing good things." 

My frustration sits squarely in players like Nixon or Jyaire, or hell any of our incoming highly rated recruits, what are we doing to retain these guys when they're being offered sums of cash to MAYBE crack the two deep for an SEC or Big 10 school? Or are we perpetually stuck in the cycle of losing a good player, the replacing them with a unknown JUCO or 4th string P5 guy looking for playing time?

To your last question, yes. The rules favor those with large resources. It was intentionally made this way. The the gap was closing. Those with said large resources started puling strings. 

• RV 1

I was just on the TCU board and their fans are pretty irritated with the Mustangs. SMU got two of their players last week, including four-star receiver Jordan Hudson from Garland High School that was a true freshman last year. They are also irked, because the Mustangs just got a commitment from a transfer defensive lineman from Oklahoma, that TCU hosted this past Tuesday and Wednesday. They said SMU's NIL program, is just as good or fearfully better than theirs.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 5/23/2023 at 2:05 AM, Jonnyeagle said:

Do all of them have the same name identification, image usage and likeness?  If not, they are abusing the spirit of the NIL.  Not everyone has the same amount of familiarity with the public.  The amount of NIL each recruit should earn has been worked out and I see the NIL for the average recruit seems to be $6,000-$10,000; nowhere near what SMU is paying.

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

I was just on the TCU board and their fans are pretty irritated with the Mustangs. SMU got two of their players last week, including four-star receiver Jordan Hudson from Garland High School that was a true freshman last year. They are also irked, because the Mustangs just got a commitment from a transfer defensive lineman from Oklahoma, that TCU hosted this past Tuesday and Wednesday. They said SMU's NIL program, is just as good or fearfully better than theirs.

When you're the J.C. Penney of FBS private schools you get defensive real quick when a decent clothier opens up shop next door. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 5/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, UNT Mean Green said:

KD Davis received substantially more NIL monies than $8K, and around 30 total football players were a part of the Light the Tower Collective last season. 

I know that I saw that figure but it could have been from clothing sales.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, UNT Mean Green said:

I was told it was 4-5 players tops, and the amount was < than 10K. Just look at the captains from last year and it might give your an indicator. I expect this staff to operate differently and try to do more if resources are made available. 

22 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Do all of them have the same name identification, image usage and likeness?  If not, they are abusing the spirit of the NIL.  Not everyone has the same amount of familiarity with the public.  The amount of NIL each recruit should earn has been worked out and I see the NIL for the average recruit seems to be $6,000-$10,000; nowhere near what SMU is paying.

Tech also gives 25k to each player including walk-ons.  It's a one year contract that can be renewed yearly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 5/25/2023 at 3:23 PM, GrayEagle said:

Ed O’Bannon filed his lawsuit back in 2009 and the NCAA, conferences and schools had ten plus years to figure this out but instead they wanted the gravy train to continue and/or wanted Congress or some other entity to bail them out. Nobody did. The grownups had a chance to put controls on this but failed. 
There is no spirit of the NIL. Anybody can pay anybody any amount they want.  And right now any school with money is doing that. They certainly aren’t going to want to stop the advantage the have. 
Any pissing and moaning about it is too late. If in the meantime the players benefit, so be it. The grownups f’d around and now are finding out the price of inaction. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1

On 5/25/2023 at 5:05 PM, dodgefan said:

SMU is going to be able to buy any player they want. Most P5’s will not be able to compete with the $$$ they have. I wish they would go to the PAC!

• Puking Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

SMU is going to be able to buy any player they want. Most P5’s will not be able to compete with the $$$ they have. I wish they would go to the PAC!

Smut finished 7-6 last season.  For a program that can "buy any player they want" I would expect better results!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Exactly although their schedule this season is off the charts easy!

Schedule should not matter if you can truly buy any player.  I don't believe Smut can recruit all the best players just by money-whipping them.    

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Smut finished 7-6 last season.  For a program that can "buy any player they want" I would expect better results!

Definitely can't buy "any" player, and would be foolish to blow money on something like Arch Manning.  But it should be noted, most of our money was just trying to prevent Sonny Dykes' raids on our roster and stabilize the transition. This season is the first real test of our NIL/transfer strategy

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2