If a guy leaves UNT for the portal should they be allowed to enter the HOF or return to coach?

Jonnyeagle

The “or return here to coach” makes this an odd question.  I understand the part about the HOF, but why would a person be precluded from getting a job here?  Being honored versus being employed seems like two entirely different things.

To answer the first part of your question, I think anyone entering the portal probably hasn’t put up career numbers worthy of the HOF.  I don’t think one great season should get you in the HOF, but as has been stated many times, our HOF doesn’t have the highest of standards.

• Upvote 7

Just my opinion -

First, what @meanrob said, it should be a HOF, not whatever we have let it become. Standards are too low if you don't have people that meet the criteria; don't add.

HOF - IMO, if a player has undergraduate eligibility left and transfers to another school to play, then no to the HOF.

As far as coaching not a problem.

• Upvote 6

Here is something to ponder. Jamario Thomas had a HOF-worthy freshman season and didn’t do much HOF-worthy after that. What if there were penalty-free transfers back in 2004, would Jamario still be in our HOF if he had transferred to Texas or A&M? His HOF resume had already been written by that point so it is just something to think about.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Here is something to ponder. Jamario Thomas had a HOF-worthy freshman season and didn’t do much HOF-worthy after that. What if there were penalty-free transfers back in 2004, would Jamario still be in our HOF if he had transferred to Texas or A&M? His HOF resume had already been written by that point so it is just something to think about.

For me, I would hope not. I stick with the "if you have undergrad eligibility left, and you transfer to another school by your own choice, then no." You can still honor their accomplishments, but don't have them in the HOF

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For me, I would hope not. I stick with the "if you have undergrad eligibility left, and you transfer to another school by your own choice, then no." You can still honor their accomplishments, but don't have them in the HOF

So Jaelon Darden and Jalen Guyton are eligible because they left early for the NFL but if they’d have gone to Alabama or Georgia instead it would be a no-go?

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So Jaelon Darden and Jalen Guyton are eligible because they left early for the NFL but if they’d have gone to Alabama or Georgia instead it would be a no-go?

Well, Guyton did graduate; not sure about Darden, but to answer your question - yes. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

This is exactly who I was thinking of when I posted that one great season shouldn't make you HOF worthy.  Not to get off topic, but Freshman Jamario was one of the most exciting players I've ever seen.  That being said, he shouldn't be in the HOF based on that one season.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

This is exactly who I was thinking of when I posted that one great season shouldn't make you HOF worthy.  Not to get off topic, but Freshman Jamario was one of the most exciting players I've ever seen.  That being said, he shouldn't be in the HOF based on that one season.

Sadly our standards have not been that high, and JT's single-season accomplishments far outshine at least one other "modern-day" player who was put in.

21 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Jamario Thomas was all everything his freshman year, and that alone should put him in the NT HOF.  

He did not transfer, he played but was never the same after an early in career injury.  This debate has come up on this board several times.  Would if his best year was his senior season, there would absolutely be no discussion whether he belongs in the HOF.  

• Upvote 1

Rather than thinking how we can punish or turn our back on players for finding opportunities elsewhere, I think we should look for ways to celebrate with greater enthusiasm those who demonstrate an enduring commitment to UNT and spend all 4 years here. On senior day, all seniors should be honored but particular recognition given to those who signed here out of high school.  Build that into a goal worth achieving and add positive incentive for players to hang around.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Jamario Thomas was all everything his freshman year, and that alone should put him in the NT HOF.  

He did not transfer, he played but was never the same after an early in career injury.  This debate has come up on this board several times.  Would if his best year was his senior season, there would absolutely be no discussion whether he belongs in the HOF.  

Not implying he should not be in it; hell, based on our standards, he is a clear-cut choice. Regardless of what they did here, I am saying that if they transfer to another college with undergraduate eligibility, there is no UNT HOF.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not implying he should not be in it; hell, based on our standards, he is a clear-cut choice. Regardless of what they did here, I am saying that if they transfer to another college with undergraduate eligibility, there is no UNT HOF.

Well we just disagree.   If a player was a consensus All America at NT and then transferred his senior year (which would almost certainly happen with NIL), then you would not put him in the NT HOF.

That's the problem with NIL, A lower tier team is not going to hang on to a super player.  I can't imagine a player deciding to stay at his current school to make the HOF and give up a bunch of money and a chance to play on a bigger stage.     

• Upvote 3

On 5/17/2023 at 7:19 PM, NT93 said:

To clarify, I’m not saying that Jamario shouldn’t be in the HOF, I’m saying that he shouldn’t be on his freshman season alone.  While he obviously never reached near that level of performance again, he did have almost 1700 yards rushing in his final three seasons and led the team in rushing his junior and senior seasons.  

• Thanks 1