GMG Report: Arizona State CB transfer Tarik Luckett is on OV at North Texas

Per sources Arizona State transfer Tarik Luckett is in Denton for his OV to North Texas. Luckett has one remaining season of eligibility after spending one season as a backup cornerback at Arizona State. 

Playing in 11 games primarily on special teams, Luckett had five tackles with one pass breakup in 2022.

North Texas could be his fourth college. He started two games as a freshman at Colorado before later dropping down to Cisco College in Cisco, Texas, and later bouncing back up to the Pac-12 at ASU. 

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Luckett started at cornerback against Stanford and UCLA for Colorado in 2019. He had eight tackles, two pass breakups and one quarterback hurry in that season.

In 2019 he was a four-star prospect as evaluated independently by 247Sports, No. 40 at wide receiver and No. 40 in California.

https://thesundevils.com/sports/football/roster/tarik-luckett/13803

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Which is more exciting that he’s been a backup his entire college career or that we will be his fourth school?

A backup who signed with ASU last season when they were losing all 4 starters in the secondary and still didn't crack the two deep. What about the WR who averaged ~50 yards receiving per game at an FCS school we got last week? Aren't yall fired up? 

I won't be as pessimistic as I was at the end of the Littrell era but I reserve the right to be critical about the fact that other than a handful of recruits so far, it's more of the same from the Littrell era, we are hoping their evaluations are correct and they're better at finding diamonds in the rough than other staffs..

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

A backup who signed with ASU last season when they were losing all 4 starters in the secondary and still didn't crack the two deep. What about the WR who averaged ~50 yards receiving per game at an FCS school we got last week? Aren't yall fired up? 

I won't be as pessimistic as I was at the end of the Littrell era but I reserve the right to be critical about the fact that other than a handful of recruits so far, it's more of the same from the Littrell era, we are hoping their evaluations are correct and they're better at finding diamonds in the rough than other staffs..

With the amount of injuries in college football, I welcome any depth.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

My concern is the same as it was with all of our other coaches (which was why I wanted Fuente because he's done it at our level😞 I fear they're under-estimating the level of football we (as well as our opposition) play.   These coaches are thinking they can succeed at the G5 level with P5 leftovers & FCS level guys...  it's just proven over & over to be untrue here.  And for every successful story like Mazin Richards and Riley Mayfield who can step up to play at our level from FCS or below, there are 20 Devonte McCrae's & Amani Gilmore's that we get from P5 schools who severely underperform. 

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

This is my thought, too.  I’m assuming all of the coaches are communicating with eachother to review film, indentify strengths, needs of the team, etc. Welcome to the Mean Green, Tarik!

I hope so. In 11 games last year he had five tackles and broke up one pass. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1