Should the AAC consider adding Liberty?

Jonnyeagle

15 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I just don't like they way they conduct themselves as a University.  They just don't seem to be a good match for our values.

What values are those?  Public pajama bottoms and 2nd best  food?

I say no not due to any "I hate evangelists" viewpoint, but simply because there's enough competition in the AAC already.  Let's prove we belong before inviting others.

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Why, we have no future in either of the major sports.

Wrong. Basketball. 

Real - haha - funny. Let football prove something, anything. That's where I'm at with the other side of 35. Until then it's a clear waste of resources. Keep the team, be as formidable as possible and dump some of that money into something that has an easier path to competitiveness. It's like I'm speaking latin in here. What I'm saying isn't a grandioso idea. It's pretty straight forward and easy to see when you choose to see it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

10 hours ago, tmjerm said:

No.  They are slimy and disgusting.  Fake virtues.  Laying with them will give us fleas.  

No need to point out their non-athletically impactful shortcomings.  Generally conference should steer clear of adding private institutions if their current membership is more than 12.  Also a young program, not in a major TV market, that doesn't have a strong following throughout their home stare and  without a New Year's 6 bowl appearance is not a hot commodity for media coverage contracts.  SMU is a laughably poor addition to the Pac 12 but that is an even better add than Liberty to AAC.   Whenever the ACC gets raided they won't be "P5" level anymore and I don't foresee an ACC conference with the likes of North Carolina, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Syracuse, Boston College or Duke in it with Liberty.  If anything AAC should be hotly pursuing UConn while they are still available without a good football program.  Once they put out the dumpster fire that is football they are a P5 program just by virtue of their association with elite basketball.  Having UConn Basketball would be a game changer for our basketball.  It would make almost all the schools in the conference now more reluctant to leave for any conference except the Big 10 and SEC.  And with UConn the league probably gets two bids into the NCAA tournament any times it produces 2 quality teams and some years three teams in. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Wrong. Basketball. 

Real - haha - funny. Let football prove something, anything. That's where I'm at with the other side of 35. Until then it's a clear waste of resources. Keep the team, be as formidable as possible and dump some of that money into something that has an easier path to competitiveness. It's like I'm speaking latin in here. What I'm saying isn't a grandioso idea. It's pretty straight forward and easy to see when you choose to see it. 

It isn’t about proving something in football it about leadership managing the program correctly.  Seth’s multiple extensions were laughably unnecessary.  And as far as basketball it is really good that we have an NIT Championship that but that is our ceiling here because the coach was already good as gone before the team advanced to the semifinals.  Furthermore basketball just isn’t a hot ticket in DFW.  And that matters because we will never be able to afford to keep the best head coaches we hire.  And now with NIL and transfer portal the best talent the head coach brings in and develops will leave too much money on the table to stay at UNT.   What do you think basketball attendance numbers will be for the defending NIT Champions next year?  I guarantee they will be subpar.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

12 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Having UConn Basketball would be a game changer for our basketball.  It would make almost all the schools in the conference now more reluctant to leave for any conference except the Big 10 and SEC.  And with UConn the league probably gets two bids into the NCAA tournament any times it produces 2 quality teams and some years three teams in. 

UConn will never leave the Big East for the AAC.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

It isn’t about proving something in football it about leadership managing the program correctly.  Seth’s multiple extensions were laughably unnecessary.  And as far as basketball it is really good that we have an NIT Championship that but that is our ceiling here because the coach was already good as gone before the team advanced to the semifinals.  Furthermore basketball just isn’t a hot ticket in DFW.  And that matters because we will never be able to afford to keep the best head coaches we hire.  And now with NIL and transfer portal the best talent the head coach brings in and develops will leave too much money on the table to stay at UNT.   What do you think basketball attendance numbers will be for the defending NIT Champions next year?  I guarantee they will be subpar.

Well aren’t you a Ray of sunshine. 
Jim Cantore Sun GIF by The Weather Channel

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1

11 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

You are right. As is, basketball isn't being funded properly. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

20 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Playing in the AAC next year, attendance number will be way better.  Home games against new conference opponents like Memphis, Wichita state, and SMU.  We also get UTA at home this season, they usually bring a crowd.  The AAC has been built to be a basketball conference, and I expect it to be more exciting to watch then football.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

23 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

No need to point out their non-athletically impactful shortcomings.  Generally conference should steer clear of adding private institutions if their current membership is more than 12.  Also a young program, not in a major TV market, that doesn't have a strong following throughout their home stare and  without a New Year's 6 bowl appearance is not a hot commodity for media coverage contracts.  SMU is a laughably poor addition to the Pac 12 but that is an even better add than Liberty to AAC.   Whenever the ACC gets raided they won't be "P5" level anymore and I don't foresee an ACC conference with the likes of North Carolina, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Syracuse, Boston College or Duke in it with Liberty.  If anything AAC should be hotly pursuing UConn while they are still available without a good football program.  Once they put out the dumpster fire that is football they are a P5 program just by virtue of their association with elite basketball.  Having UConn Basketball would be a game changer for our basketball.  It would make almost all the schools in the conference now more reluctant to leave for any conference except the Big 10 and SEC.  And with UConn the league probably gets two bids into the NCAA tournament any times it produces 2 quality teams and some years three teams in. 

UCONN already left the AAC to specifically get their basketball teams back into the Big East. There’s no scenario where they ever come back. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/15/2023 at 8:43 PM, NT80 said:

UConn will never leave the Big East for the AAC.

Well, it's possible that they might move their football program to the AAC but never their basketball program.  I would not be for that.  The only addition that I would be for is Army, with the same situation as Navy (having another program for all other sports.)  However, we would need a 16th team and that would likely have to come from another conference.  I don't know who that would be, but not Liberty. I would prefer Air Force or Colorado State at the moment but that could change.  Then, to me, that would give the AAC a tremendous amount of visibility.  Then I move that the nominations cease.  I don't think that any conference should have more than 16 teams.  All three service academies have national audiences, so we would have a tremendous viewing potential.

I'm not doing this with the thoughts that we could be another power conference.  My hope is that they will do away with the Ps and Gs.

4 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I would prefer Air Force or Colorado State at the moment but that could change.  Then, to me, that would give the AAC a tremendous amount of visibility.  Then I move that the nominations cease.  I don't think that any conference should have more than 16 teams.  All three service academies have national audiences, so we would have a tremendous viewing potential.

I'm not doing this with the thoughts that we could be another power conference.  My hope is that they will do away with the Ps and Gs.

Having all three service academies should be a priority to get more national media.

• Upvote 1

Would have preferred Liberty over Rice or UTSA. Liberty is investing the resources necessary to become a serious player in the next few years. Will it happen? I don't know. What I do know is if we want to keep elevating ourselves on the athletic front, we need to be in conferences with strong programs or programs who are committed to becoming strong. Otherwise we'll always be a step behind trying to make a name for ourselves in a has-been conference.

For those talking about Liberty being slimy or being false to their supposed valued and so on, I ask you this: would you say no to joining the Big 12 or the SEC or the ACC today? Every conference has slimy schools. In some cases it's how they got there. With their financial backing, Liberty won't be in CUSA for long but they'll certainly bring eyes to that conference while they're there. I'd rather them bring eyes to the AAC.

• Puking Eagle 2

On 5/17/2023 at 8:36 AM, TheColonyEagle said:

What are our values?

Because you asked:

UNT

• Community - Creating a sense of belonging
  • Unity - Coming together with strength
  • Culture - Embracing diversity

UNT System

- Courageous Integrity 

- Be Curious

- We Care

- Better Together

- Show Your Fire

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/15/2023 at 9:01 AM, Matt from A700 said:

There might be competition then from the ACC if the SEC has poached their top schools. Liberty's stadium seats only 6K fewer the ACC's current smallest venue at Wake Forest.

Liberty's stadium seats 25,000 which would be the smallest stadium in the AAC after Charlotte completes its new stadium.  Its DMA would be the smallest in the conference as well.