Charlotte In: North Texas Out

Eagle71

4 hours ago, Eagle71 said:

Charlotte is picked for an at-large slot and North Texas stays home.  Didn't we beat them during the regular season and in the tournament, too? And, oh, didn't we just beat the NCAA #6 seed?  It's tough to be an Eagle.

ncaa 2023 tournament FwIFqSxXoAAMrnR.jpg

NT beat Charlotte 3 out of 4 games.  Committee just based it on Charlotte winning regular season, they lost twice in tournament.   They were 16-7 in conference to NT's 16-8.

Just a very bad pick and I'm not saying NT should get it; but I question Charlotte getting an at large bid.  

I have stated that NT's lack of hitting was a major problem, but Charlotte should have never been picked over NT.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

NT beat Charlotte 3 out of 4 games.  Committee just based it on Charlotte winning regular season, they lost twice in tournament.   They were 16-7 in conference to NT's 16-8.

Just a very bad pick and I'm not saying NT should get it; but I question Charlotte getting an at large bid.  

I have stated that NT's lack of hitting was a major problem, but Charlotte should have never been picked over NT.  

RPI: Charlotte 29, North Texas 63.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Just a deeply saddening outcome for the season.  Terrible officiating but nit good that it had to come down to one call.   DeLong will need to rebuild the team confidence after this setback.  Still a decent season despite the ending.

North Texas was the only team not afforded two losses in the tournament.  A double-elimination tournament should be that way for all teams.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, blurbeard said:

RPI: Charlotte 29, North Texas 63.

Pre tournament, Charlotte was 37 and NT 64

Looking at those schedules, I have no idea why Charlotte would by ranked 27 teams better, and for that matter why Charlotte would improve based on their CUSA tournament performance

NT was 35-22 and Charlotte 32-21 pre tournament

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

North Texas was the only team not afforded two losses in the tournament.  A double-elimination tournament should be that way for all teams.

la tech only got 1 loss

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I also had to look at Charlotte's schedule.  They did have some impressive wins during the season.  But they also lost 3 of 4 games to UNT, and lost 2 of 3 games in the CUSA tournament.

In the regular season they beat:

South Carolina

#13 Georgia

Georgia Tech

#23 Arizona State

Louisville

#11 Virginia Tech

North Carolina

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

Well that was just a screwed up tournament all the way around then.  Judy?

First round, single elimination. After that, only the undefeated team in the Championship is out with one loss. I believe that someone had written it was done that way so CBS Sports could work it into their schedule.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

I don't mind the format. Everyone knew what they had to do. We just didn't hit well enough to get it done (and hitting plagued UNT all season). Having stated that.... the umps deserve the RBI for MT's winning run in the 12th inning. C-USA is bush-league and I'm glad we are leaving for the AAC. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1