In what order do you see the new 2023 AAC football league playing out?

15 hours ago, akriesman said:

IMO, the loss of Jyaire Shorter is going to hurt in particular.  That guy was a beast for us and clearly the best WR.   He was the ONE guy that I didn't want to see hit the portal.

If we can’t replace 23 catches for 600 yards, we’re definitely in trouble.  I was a big fan of Shorter and loved his potential, but I don’t think we ever saw the full potential manifested.  That being said, the 11 TD’s were big.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Too much production leaving. Not enough proven replacements. Easy to see. 

I don't believe I mentioned disbanding football. 

I did pick something else. Basketball. And no misery here at all. Just realism. We will never ever never have a 5-year run the basketball program just had and looks to continue compounding. We will never ever have a football season to even remotely match this past basketball season. Hell, in our 110 years of football, we haven't even won 10 games. We haven't sold out our 12 year old stadium. We are who we are, and that's OK. Let's commit to something practical. All I'm saying. But, hey, the old football adage, there's always next year. 

Such a great outlook for our various programs. 

You first claim we will never be any good in football and state we are a basketball school, yet then state we will never replicate our recent five year run. Kind of contradictory, don’t you think?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

56 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Such a great outlook for our various programs. 

You first claim we will never be any good in football and state we are a basketball school, yet then state we will never replicate our recent five year run. Kind of contradictory, don’t you think?

We will never do anything remotely similar in football as we have in this 5 year run in basketball.* 

I then went on to state that the run looks to not be done in basketball. 

I'm not contradicting anything. I either worded it confusingly or you misread. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

22 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Disclaimer. This is my power rankings as of today. Not sure they will finish this way. For instance I do think SMU will be too in standings just because of their cupcake schedule. 

Tulane

UTSA

SMU

Florida Atlantic

Memphis

East Carolina

South Florida

UNT

Tulsa

UAB

Temple

Navy

Rice

Charlotte

3A2F2829-F183-4CA0-BD11-A6CEE6FA3678.png

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:36 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

8th at best. Easily could be worse. Not a shot at any better. 

Yet, we'll keep blindly pumping money into it for the sake of next year then next year then next decade then next whatever. 

We are a basketball school. #GMG

If we were really a basketball school attendance would have really jumped the past few years. However winning didn't move the needle at all. I have about decided that based upon lack of football and basketball fan support and we are just not a sports school.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

If we were really a basketball school attendance would have really jumped the past few years. However winning didn't move the needle at all. I have about decided that based upon lack of football and basketball fan support and we are just not a sports school.

We are 100% not a sports school. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1. FAU (I think people will be surprised)

2. Tulane

3. UTSA. They clearly have one of the better HC and bring back a great QB. but they also lost a lot everywhere else

4. East Carolina. Moving in the right direction

5. SMU (The most talent...but I don't believe in Lashlee as an HC)

6. USF. not convinced on their new HC, but there are resources etc.

7. UNT (this is an optimistic take)

8. Memphis (people have them high because of history. Other than history I don't see much reason they ought to be good)

9. Navy

10. UAB (It will be an interesting experiment, and could go much better. UAB has the resources now. But until he proves he can replicate Clarks success i am skeptical)

11. Tulsa (I am not a believer here either. i could see Kevin Wilson do ok as a coach. But I honestly think Tulsa is a bad place in the long run to have an FBS program, and will be overtaken by pretty much all the newcomers eventually. Tiny enrollment, not enough investment, a University that is gonna get hit haard by the enrollment cliff)

12. Charlotte

13. Temple

14. Rice

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 5/15/2023 at 2:32 PM, NT80 said:

Compared to who?

We won the NIT and a National Championship in Polo.

What did other G5 "sports schools" do better?

Fan support, cheeks in the seats, financial contributions to athletic department. We average 20,000 fans in a 30,000 seat football stadium, 4,000 fans in a 10,000 seat basketball arena despite have great success the past 5 years, and towards the bottom of the Texas G5 barrel in alumni giving to athletics. I have and continue to support UNT athletics since my freshman year of 1961 but in my opinion North Texas is a G5 school that has sports as opposed to one that is a sports school.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Fan support, cheeks in the seats, financial contributions to athletic department. We average 20,000 fans in a 30,000 seat football stadium, 4,000 fans in a 10,000 seat basketball arena despite have great success the past 5 years, and towards the bottom of the Texas G5 barrel in alumni giving to athletics. I have and continue to support UNT athletics since my freshman year of 1961 but in my opinion North Texas is a G5 school that has sports as opposed to one that is a sports school.

Yes, fan support always needs improved, but I think most can remember it being much worse.

I will rephrase the question:  What did other G5 "sports schools" do better in sports championships this past year?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

Yes, fan support always needs improved, but I think most can remember it being much worse.

I will rephrase the question:  What did other G5 "sports schools" do better in sports championships this past year?

I didn't know we had a polo team let alone won a national championship so I don't know if you are joking or not. I know we won the NIT, which I am very proud of, and its certainly a big step up from the CBIT [I think that is correct but not sure]  we won before,but it's not the NCAA tournament. Tulane had a pretty good year. I guess it all depends on your definition of " sports championships " and "sports schools."  We have come a long way in women's sports with good softball,soccer, and volleyball programs and men's basketball. However I stand by my statement that we are a school that has sports, not a "sports school."

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/12/2023 at 4:05 PM, meangreenfaninno said:

1 SMU

2 Tulane

3 UTSA

4 East Carolina

5 UAB

6 Florida Atlantic

7 Memphis

8 South Florida

9 Tulsa

10 Temple

11 Navy

12 UNT

13 Rice

13 Charlotte

I hope I am wrong and that we do better but looking at the fact we lost so much in the portal not just this year but last year with the twins and also the fact we lose our long time starter at QB (Aune) I just don't see an easy road for us and will chalk this up to being a rebuilding year.  Had we held onto more of our players I think we could have been middle of the pack.  Interested to see everyone else's list and thoughts.

How did South Florida get so high?  They won one game last year and their new coach was the offensive coordinator in '21 and they won one game then also.  Furthermore I believe that this is his first year as a head coach.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

ECU had a nice portal haul. They'll be trouble. 

The portal isn’t always the answer. Typically, if they are P5 moving to a G5 it is because they aren’t cracking the two deep or getting playing time. There is a reason for that. The other approach is where we have seen some success. Players at a lower level that have seen success there and want to test their mettle against better competition like Richards did with us last year. Yes, ECU and SMU picked up some nicely rated players but what did they do at their previous school that has the new teams excited outside of a high rating and potential?  It will be interesting to see how these players pan out. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The portal isn’t always the answer. Typically, if they are P5 moving to a G5 it is because they aren’t cracking the two deep or getting playing time. There is a reason for that. The other approach is where we have seen some success. Players at a lower level that have seen success there and want to test their mettle against better competition like Richards did with us last year. Yes, ECU and SMU picked up some nicely rated players but what did they do at their previous school that has the new teams excited outside of a high rating and potential?  It will be interesting to see how these players pan out. 

Much like "stars" from recruiting services, portal players aren't always what they're cracked up to be, but usually are. 

When a player out of high school chooses UNT to get early playing time, or get close to home, or because he likes the coach, nobody on here bats an eye. But if they are transferring to get playing time, or get closer to home, or because they didn't like the coach, somehow it's questionable.

If a player isn't getting enough playing time at Texas A&M and wants to come to SMU or UNT to get it, that's not some kind of bad thing or a mark of a bad player. I'll take that all day long. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:36 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

8th at best. Easily could be worse. Not a shot at any better. 

Yet, we'll keep blindly pumping money into it for the sake of next year then next year then next decade then next whatever. 

We are a basketball school. #GMG

Name me the flag ship university of a public public university system respected or well known because of its Basketball program without a FBS football program.  A NIT Championship is great but it isn't as significant as a sweet 16 appearance.  Furthermore let compare the history of the programs.

Winning Percentage

Basketball  0.463

Football 0.502

Conference Championships

Basketball 6* (only counting NCAA invites and the NIT Championship as an equivalent to a conference championship)

Football 25

Weeks in AP Poll

Basketball 0

Football 2

The history says we aren't a basketball school and DFW area isn't a hungry Basketball market.  SMU couldn't get to a sweet 16 with HOF Head Coach Larry Brown.    We will likely never be able to hire a coach with a resume similar to his.  So expecting any coach here to reach a sweet 16 or higher here no matter the amount of money we throw at it is foolish.

In summary you can logically argue we should make more judicious investments in Football  and loosen the purse strings on basketball spending.  But you can’t logically argue we will likely be a basketball powerhouse just by throwing more money at it by cutting football.  If that were the case experiments at UTA and SMU would have been far more fruitful.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Name me the flag ship university of a public public university system respected or well known because of its Basketball program without a FBS football program.  A NIT Championship is great but it isn't as significant as a sweet 16 appearance.  Furthermore let compare the history of the programs.

Winning Percentage

Basketball  0.463

Football 0.502

Conference Championships

Basketball 6* (only counting NCAA invites and the NIT Championship as an equivalent to a conference championship)

Football 25

Weeks in AP Poll

Basketball 0

Football 2

The history says went aren't a basketball school and DFW area isn't a hungry Basketball market.  SMU couldn't get to a sweet 16 with HOF Head Coach Larry Brown.    We will likely never be able to hire a coach with a resume similar to his.  So expecting any coach here to reach a sweet 16 or higher here no matter the amount of money we throw at it is foolish.

In summary you can logically argue we should make more judicious investments in Football  and loosen the purse strings on basketball spending.  But you can’t logically argue we will likely be a basketball powerhouse just by throwing more money at it by cutting football.  If that were the case experiments at UTA and SMU would have be far more fruitful.  

I'm not explaining myself again on this matter. The math is simple. 

• Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 5/13/2023 at 10:28 AM, Green Crazy said:

Agreed. Earlier I thought we'd go 4-8 next season and now I don't know how we win 4.

La Tech, FIU, ACU, Temple, Navy, Tulsa, UAB, 

No reason we shouldn't win at least 4 of these games. With our easy OOC schedule, anything less than 5 wins would be very disappointing. I'm expecting 6-6 or 7-5. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

We needed the coaching change.  I feel we would not be any better this season had Seth stayed and finished his contract.  But this change should have happened the year prior.  I am looking forward to the new energy this new staff brings to the program.  

• Upvote 3

UNT 2023

4-8 but I warm you Tulsa always over performs. Could be 3-9.

L Sept. 2 California

W Sept. 9 at Florida International

W Sept. 16 at Louisiana Tech

W Sept. 30 Abilene Christian

L Oct. 7 at Navy*

L Oct. 14 Temple*

L Oct. 21 at Tulane*

L Oct. 28 Memphis*

L Nov. 4 UTSA*

L Nov. 10 at SMU*&

W Nov. 18 at Tulsa*

L Nov. 25 UAB*%