CUSA Softball Tournament: 5.12.23 vs. Charlotte

UNTLifer

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I wonder about some of Delong's decisions, like starting Savage in an important game.

Savage has all the potential in the world, but she is too wild to ever start in a championship game at this point in her career. 

I think he was hoping her performance against OK St. would carry over.  I am far from an expert on pitching a softball, but she appears off balance in her follow through which would seem to cause wildness.  She needs to rediscover the form she showed at the end of last year.

• Upvote 2

Peters comes in with one on and no outs to earn the save, but MacKenzie Childers deserves to be the player of the game.  The true freshman came in and delivered 3.2 innings of one hit relief, gave up one run while striking out 7.  After walking the leadoff hitter in the 7th, DeLong pulled her and put in Peters who struck out the side, but also walked two to load the bases.  Overall, our pitching held them to only 2 hits while striking out 12.  What killed us was 9 base on balls, some obvious and some due to a shaky strike zone.

On to the finals tomorrow at noon on CBS SportsNetwork.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

At this point in the process, I hate that the "undefeated" team in the championship game does not have to be beaten twice!

Certainly far from fair, but I assume it's done for scheduling the championship game when better coverage is available. 

Off the subject, but umpiring seems to be an issue and this is coming from a fan of an undefeated tournament team. 

It appeared to be a very elastic strike zone and that call on second base was a crime.   The commentator stated the umpire was in good condition to call the play, apparently he was not.

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

At this point in the process, I hate that the "undefeated" team in the championship game does not have to be beaten twice!

just another dumb ass move by CUSA, not sure any other conference does this garbage.

I do see AAC plays single elimination so you have to be ready every game. 

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 1