CUSA Softball Tournament: 5.11.23 vs. UAB

UNTLifer

Good Lord!  What in the world are we doing?  Gamble, one of the best power hitters in the conference is up with two on and she attempts two bunts?  And as I am typing this, she lines one out to straight away center after missing two bunts and we take the league 3-2.  Still makes zero sense to have her attempting to bunt.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

Waggoner comes on to end a UAB threat with Sparks making a heck of a play to end the inning.  FYI, dirty slide into first base by the UAB player could have injured Gamble.  We head to the seventh inning up 3-2.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

These girls are going to give me a heart attack!

Very grateful for the win today, and glad to see Gamble show all of C-USA why she's the real "C-USA Player of the Year".

I like her, but when your main claim to fame is your Homerun hitting, and you go almost a month without one down the stretch, it is hard to say she should have been POY.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Good Lord!  What in the world are we doing?  Gamble, one of the best power hitters in the conference is up with two on and she attempts two bunts?  And as I am typing this, she lines one out to straight away center after missing two bunts and we take the league 3-2.  Still makes zero sense to have her attempting to bunt.

Our offensive strategy is mind-boggling, to say the least.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

56 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Our offensive strategy is mind-boggling, to say the least.

I realize now, 50 years later, that my players won in spite of my coaching!  I think our lack of hitting this season has made Coach try some things that he would have never thought about last season.  I suggested to one of our players that they just go ahead and score 5 in the 1st inning tomorrow so our blood pressure might get back in line for a day.

• Upvote 2

• UNTLifer changed the title to CUSA Softball Tournament: 5.11.23 vs. UAB
On 5/11/2023 at 8:56 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I like her, but when your main claim to fame is your Homerun hitting, and you go almost a month without one down the stretch, it is hard to say she should have been POY.

It's hard to hit homeruns when they won't pitch to her. Gamble has collected quite a few walks in conference play this season.

On 5/16/2023 at 7:03 AM, outoftown said:

you can do that when you are not afraid of the next two hitters that are up.

Very true. A large portion of our roster and our hitter coach need to be evaluated. The 50 point drop in the team's overall batting average needs to be addressed. If our team hits a horrible .242 next season in the AAC, we won't be contending for the conference title. 

• Upvote 2