Houston Cougars Dana Holgorsen, Rice Owls Mike Bloomgren on Texas College Coaches Hot Seat Meter heading into 2023 season

Harry

Two of the 12 FBS coaches in Texas lost their jobs after the 2022 season when North Texas parted ways with Seth Littrell and Texas State moved on from Jake Spavital. Yearly turnover is the norm with that many programs, and the number grows to 13 in 2023 as Sam Houston moves up from the FCS ranks. 

Where do things stand heading into 2023? 

HOT SEAT 

Dana Holgorsen – Houston 

Wanting to play big-boy college football requires big-boy expectations. Holgorsen was hired after the 2018 season when Major Applewhite’s eight-win campaign wasn’t up to snuff. Holgorsen has only won more than eight games once in his four seasons in charge. On one hand, he led the team to a 12-win season in 2021 and is 20-7 over the last two years. On the other, a mass of offensive linemen left the program since the end of 2021, the star running back just entered the transfer portal, and the defense is waiting for key pieces to arrive in the transfer portal. A sub .500 finish in 2023 could spell doom. 

Mike Bloomgren – Rice 

Fair or not, Rice expects to be in bowl contention regularly and Bloomgren is only batting 20 percent in terms of achieving that goal. His Owls have reached one bowl game in his five seasons in charge, and that was last year with a 5-7 regular season record. He inherited a program in the basement and has increased its win total by one in each of his five seasons. Reaching six wins in 2023 earns more time, but the competition steps up in the AAC. Rice is arguably the toughest FBS job in the Lone Star State and Bloomgren’s reestablished the program in his tenure. 

read more:  https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/05/10/texas-college-coaches-hot-seat-meter-2023-update?ref=article_preview_img

• Upvote 2

I think that Holgorson will benefit greatly from Rice moving to the American Athletic Conference.  It seems to be that he hasn't quite been able to get the talent that he needs to be competitive in CUSA.  Rice has the prestige and the money to be competitive in what is considered a higher conference.  If Holgorson is not the man then I believe they'll pour enough money into the program to be competitive. They are a too old and storied program to fund a cellar-dweller.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I think that Holgorson will benefit greatly from Rice moving to the American Athletic Conference.  It seems to be that he hasn't quite been able to get the talent that he needs to be competitive in CUSA.  Rice has the prestige and the money to be competitive in what is considered a higher conference.  If Holgorson is not the man then I believe they'll pour enough money into the program to be competitive. They are a too old and storied program to fund a cellar-dweller.

Agree.  I think with the right coach they could be powerhouses.  I wonder if Tom Herman may not consider coming back.

56 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Bloomgren?

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

You lost me. I assume you were writing about the Rice coach, Bloomgren, not the Houston coach. Holgorson.   If so, then my take is that if Rice can't compete in CUSA they certainly can't compete in the AAC. As to funding, they have been funding a cellar dweller for decades, ever since the SWC imploded, and don't seem to be bothered by it.

• Upvote 2

On 5/11/2023 at 12:46 PM, GrayEagle said:

If Holgerson was coaching Rice, I would be a very happy man.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Cougar King said:

If Holgerson was coaching Rice, I would be a very happy man.

You overpaid and extended him last year, and now can't afford to dump him!

In other words...you have a "Seth" situation!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/dana-holgorsen-contract-houston-coach-agrees-to-six-year-26-7-million-extension-following-banner-season/#:~:text=Holgorsen will earn %244.2 million,Chris Pezman in a statement.

Edited by NT80
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1