Breaking News: North Texas MBB lands Jason Edwards from Dodge City

On 5/7/2023 at 9:22 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

You can play with pace while playing “slow”. The team is going to have too many offensive threats to not push from time to time (off misses, for example). 

I agree.  If a player has a shot he'll take it rather than wait to the last second as Grant's teams did.  The defense may press but I believe that we'll score more.  I doubt that we'll be the least scored on team again.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't follow kstate basketball, but if they don't have a primary ball handler that can d&k to Perry I'm afraid kstate might end up very disappointed in what they stole from UNT. 

Did NT have a primary ball handler that would d&k to Perry?   
I mean, Kai may have done that a few times, but TP was our primary ball handler when he was on the floor.

And now that Nowell has declared for the draft, I anticipate Perry will step right in that very same role.

Or, are you saying his ball handling is not up to Big12 par?  (Pretty sure OKSt. would vehemently disagree).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Did NT have a primary ball handler that would d&k to Perry?   
I mean, Kai may have done that a few times, but TP was our primary ball handler when he was on the floor.

And now that Nowell has declared for the draft, I anticipate Perry will step right in that very same role.

Or, are you saying his ball handling is not up to Big12 par?  (Pretty sure OKSt. would vehemently disagree).

I'm saying elite guards at that level can create off the dribble if they want to be a serious team. TP couldn't really do that in CUSA, he sure as shit won't be able to do that in the big12.

And, yes, Kai was a Godsend to TP. It allowed TP to play off the ball with frequency. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm saying elite guards at that level can create off the dribble if they want to be a serious team. TP couldn't really do that in CUSA, he sure as shit won't be able to do that in the big12.

And, yes, Kai was a Godsend to TP. It allowed TP to play off the ball with frequency. 

I guess the pudding is in the oven now.  We’ll know in about 6 months if TP is able to play at the Big12 level.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I guess the pudding is in the oven now.  We’ll know in about 6 months if TP is able to play at the Big12 level.

I don't know why that is even a question, he obviously can play with the best in college basketball because he did it at NT.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't know why that is even a question, he obviously can play with the best in college basketball because he did it at NT.

I believe it sir!    But I guess some require proof.  Something Tylor's had to do his whole career.  Nothing new for him... and he's risen to the occasion each time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I believe it sir!    But I guess some require proof.  Something Tylor's had to do his whole career.  Nothing new for him... and he's risen to the occasion each time.

Some require proof because their feelings are hurt. Makes no dang sense. He was the best player on one of the best mid-majors and won the NIT, beating 2 high-majors on the way. No reason to believe he can't compete in the Big 12.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Some require proof because their feelings are hurt. Makes no dang sense. He was the best player on one of the best mid-majors and won the NIT, beating 2 high-majors on the way. No reason to believe he can't compete in the Big 12.

Wrong thread, but I will bite.

Hypothetical question. How much of TPs success was due to him thriving in this type of system.

I will hang up and listen.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Hypothetical question. How much of TPs success was due to him thriving in this type of system.

TP's success is to due to his clutch shooting, right? I think he was CLUTCH before he came to Denton.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Lol. Yo, he bout to have a schedule full of high majors. And no hard feelings from here. I'm just pointing out what I believe is pretty easy to see. 

13 hours ago, BigWillie said:

And his JUCO success was due to him thriving in that type of system? Ah yes but that was JUCO so that doesn't count because the level of competition wasn't the same. At some point you have to realize it's the player and not the system. And I'm sorry but our system did nothing to help talented scoring players such as himself. At KStates he's going to have more space and a faster pace that should give him more open chances unlike the press he'd see as soon as he hit the halfcourt last season. As long as the lights don't get too bright,he'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Lol. Yo, he bout to have a schedule full of high majors. And no hard feelings from here. I'm just pointing out what I believe is pretty easy to see. 

No player has ever had success going from JUCO to high-major or mid-major to high-major. Just doesn't happen. That's why Nowell struggled going from Arkansas Little Rock to Kansas State. Just too small to play with the big boys.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

And his JUCO success was due to him thriving in that type of system? Ah yes but that was JUCO so that doesn't count because the level of competition wasn't the same. At some point you have to realize it's the player and not the system. And I'm sorry but our system did nothing to help talented scoring players such as himself. At KStates he's going to have more space and a faster pace that should give him more open chances unlike the press he'd see as soon as he hit the halfcourt last season. As long as the lights don't get too bright,he'll be fine.

I dont think a faster pace favors TP. He is not a super athletic guy, just highly skilled. He will function there the same way he did here, highly efficient and clutch. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I dont think a faster pace favors TP. He is not a super athletic guy, just highly skilled. He will function there the same way he did here, highly efficient and clutch. 

I think he makes up for the lack of athleticism with his basketball IQ. Plus I think his role will be off the ball. Break open on an off-ball screen or hang back at the 3 line on a fast break/dribble penetration from a slashing guard.

Where the accelerated speed can work to his advantage is defenders cheating inside to make a play on a player driving to the hoop or a defender fatigued from running up and down the court being put on skates. Many of the high-majors don't necessarilly play with the best integrity on defense. They hunt for turnovers, like UAB. A guy like Perry will punish you for that.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

No player has ever had success going from JUCO to high-major or mid-major to high-major. Just doesn't happen. That's why Nowell struggled going from Arkansas Little Rock to Kansas State. Just too small to play with the big boys.

Nowell is a slasher. TP is not. That's literally the basis of my point. 

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think he makes up for the lack of athleticism with his basketball IQ. Plus I think his role will be off the ball. Break open on an off-ball screen or hang back at the 3 line on a fast break/dribble penetration from a slashing guard.

Where the accelerated speed can work to his advantage is defenders cheating inside to make a play on a player driving to the hoop or a defender fatigued from running up and down the court being put on skates. Many of the high-majors don't necessarilly play with the best integrity on defense. They hunt for turnovers, like UAB. A guy like Perry will punish you for that.

This was literally what I was saying. He'll need that guy or I'll expect him to struggle. 

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This was literally what I was saying. He'll need that guy or I'll expect him to struggle. 

I expect him to have a better supporting case overall than what he had at UNT so I think he'll be much more open than what he was here. If we're being honest, some of his teammates here were not the most natural scorers so teams were willing to leave guys open in order to make his life harder. At K State he's going to have several guys who require as much attention as he does. He'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2023 at 10:18 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sure, I think Perry was a great clutch player for UNT. But, I also think Perry's height and lack of a big-time burst will hurt is play in the Big12, which is arguably the best basketball conference in all of college. Those larger, faster, and more athletic defenders are going to negatively affect his impact on games and his overall numbers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Sure, I think Perry was a great clutch player for UNT. But, I also think Perry's height and lack of a big-time burst will hurt is play in the Big12, which is arguably the best basketball conference in all of college. Those larger, faster, and more athletic defenders are going to negatively affect his impact on games and his overall numbers. 

Obviously playing against better teams is going to make it more difficult to score and defend.

However, I predict Perry will be a star in the B12; he has been great in his career thus far because of his decision making and shooting.  His lack of extreme quickness and height has not kept him from excelling at every level thus far.  

You IMO, are greatly underrating the basketball that was played in CUSA last year.  All those teams recruiting him after last season were not doing it for a backup guard.   

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 5/23/2023 at 10:24 PM, GrandGreen said:

He was a featured player at NT and a go-to player for a last second shot at NT.  Will he be that on a Big12 team filled with other featured and go-to players?   Would he be happy with a reduced role if that happens?    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Obviously playing against better teams is going to make it more difficult to score and defend.

However, I predict Perry will be a star in the B12; he has been great in his career thus far because of his decision making and shooting.  His lack of extreme quickness and height has not kept him from excelling at every level thus far.  

You IMO, are greatly underrating the basketball that was played in CUSA last year.  All those teams recruiting him after last season were not doing it for a backup guard.   

I'm not dismissing the quality of the top programs in C-USA. UNT, UAB, and especially FAU were good enough to compete in any conference in the country, but the rest of C-USA was fairly mediocre to downright awful. In the Big12 there will be no UTSA's on his basketball schedule. That conference is a gauntlet, and he will play against teams ever night that won't have to double team him to shut him down.

Perry was great for UNT, but the Big12 has plenty of film on him now. None of those teams are going to give him an inch of space in the closing seconds of games. They saw what he did to Oklahoma State at the NIT. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1