Breaking News: North Texas lands Ole Miss Transfer Robert Allen

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Where does Stone fit in on the equation.  He got a lot of playing time. Does he elevate his game like Ruben did last year. 

His defensive intensity was great, but his offensive spacing/shot making/handling could all use some work.  I’m a fan of his, but he wasn’t a real threat on the offensive side of the ball this past season.  Hoping he sees this post and realizes what he needs to work on to improve his game. 😝😝

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

His defensive intensity was great, but his offensive spacing/shot making/handling could all use some work.  I’m a fan of his, but he wasn’t a real threat on the offensive side of the ball this past season.  Hoping he sees this post and realizes what he needs to work on to improve his game. 😝😝

You might want to send this opinion to the Head Coach.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

we lost four starters, 48 of our 64 points per game...75% of our scoring from last season, plus our head coach. 

I know everyone is still stoked on this program moving forward, but I also think "rebuilding" is fine coming from our beat writer who is only responsible for reporting, not cheerleading. 

I never said anything about his word choice. Just throwing out a warning. My original comment earlier in the thread was not directed to any DRC article. But while on the subject I don't really care what word is used to descibe this team. But I will say that the core of Jones, Scott and Sissoko is a damn good trio to build around. I also think Ross played a much bigger part than anyone realizes the last few years. I had two seperate college coaches not affiliated with North Texas tell me prior to any coaching changes that Ross would have been a bigger loss than Grant would have been. 

• Upvote 5

57 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I also think "rebuilding" is fine coming from our beat writer who is only responsible for reporting, not cheerleading

I see not one beat writer that doesn’t try to pump up the program when given a chance.  Every beat has positive, fun stories too.  Vito rarely does anything positive that I can see although I refuse to pay his subscription fees and this do not read much from him anymore.  I know I am not alone in that opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

DENTON, Texas – UNT men’s basketball head coach Ross Hodge signed veteran Ole Miss transfer Robert Allen to a Financial Aid Agreement on Monday.

The 6-foot-8, 230-pound forward from Orlando, Florida, joins the reigning National Invitation Tournament champs and immediately becomes the most experienced player on the team. He has 134 career games played under his belt and 88 career starts. Allen, who began his college career at Stamford in 2018, heads to Denton on the verge of joining the illustrious 1,000-point, 1,000-rebound club. He’s already surpassed the 1,000-point mark (1,079) and will enter his final season just 259 rebounds from 1,000. Allen for his career has averaged 5.5 rebounds per contest.

Allen graduated from Edgewater High School in 2018 in central Florida where he was a 3.0+ student-athlete and led his prep team to a pair of state semifinal appearances, two regional championships and three distract titles. He earned MVP honors at the Winter Park Classic two years in a row, and he was named All-Metro and All-Area First Team by the Orlando Sentinel as a senior.

In addition to basketball, Allen was on the Edgewater High School volleyball and swim team.

Before transferring to Ole Miss, Allen began his college career at Samford where he played two seasons (2018-20) for the Bulldogs. In 2019 he was named to the SoCon All-Freshman team after averaging 9.9 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. During his sophomore season he improved on his stats by averaging 14.1 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. He also knocked down a career-high 32 3-pointers and had 43 blocks during his sophomore season at Samford.

In three seasons with the Rebels (2020-23), Allen played in 69 games and made 25 starts. He started Ole Miss’ final 13 games this past season. He missed a majority of the 2021-22 season after sustaining an injury early in the year.

Allen scored in double figures 10 times while in Oxford, Mississippi, including a 10-point performance last year in an 80-67 win over UNT conference mate Florida Atlantic who went on to reach the NCAA Tournament Final Four.

A two-time SEC Academic Honor Roll recipient, Allen had some of his best performances at Ole Miss in crucial league games.  He had an Ole Miss career-best eight rebounds versus South Carolina in the 2021 SEC Tournament to lead his team to victory. He had a five-assist and six-rebound performance at Georgia this past season to propel the Rebels to the win. Four of his 10 double-digit scoring performances came against SEC opponents with three of the four happening on the road.

Allen joins a UNT men's basketball program coming off its most successful season in its history. The Mean Green won a program-record 31 games last season to go along with tying the program-record for conference wins (16). UNT earned a bid into the 2023 National Invitation Tournament where they defeated Alcorn State, Sam Houston, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin and UAB in route to its first NIT championship in program history.

North Texas, which has now won a championship trophy in each of the last four seasons, elevated associated head coach Ross Hodge to head coach on April 2 and will make the move to the American Athletic Conference next season. 

Season tickets for the 2023-24 Mean Green men and women's basketball teams are available now at www.meangreentickets.com. Tickets start as low as $99 for men's and $75 for women's basketball. For more information on tickets, contact the Mean Green Ticket Office at 940-565-2527 or at ticketoffice@unt.edu. Fans can visit the UNT Athletics Ticket Office located at Gate 2 of Apogee Stadium between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

May 6th

Robert Allen (Ole Miss) – Commits to North Texas

Ole Miss forward announced that he will be heading to play at North Texas. Allen will have one more year of eligibility remaining. Allen came to Ole Miss after spending two seasons at Samford. Spending three seasons at Ole Miss, Allen appeared in 69 games as a Rebel providing high energy. Allen appeared in 33 games for Ole Miss this past season coming back from a torn ACL the year before. He averaged 4.4 PTS and 3.4 REB.

LINK: https://therebelwalk.com/2023/05/2023-ole-miss-mens-hoops-transfer-portal-tracker/

• Upvote 1