Footballscoop.com - Story on Grant Gunnell

https://footballscoop.com/news/how-one-quarterbacks-transfer-tells-the-story-of-modern-college-football-grant-gunnell-sam-houston

How one quarterback's transfer tells the story of modern college football

At one point in time, Grant Gunnell was the Next Big Thing at quarterback. Today, he's grinding for playing time at his fourth FBS school.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On the one hand, it's a story of the recruiting industry over-inflating and over-hyping a kid who simply did not have the talent to back up its initial projections. Note that while 247 at one time rated him the No. 2 quarterback and a borderline top 50 player in 2019, by the final ranking of 2019 they had Gunnell a mid-tier 3-star, the No. 15 quarterback and No. 438 overall player in the class.

...I have this image in my head of a player's parent absolutely fuming at that.

One more thought I'll add to this article: maybe Gunnell's fall can be linked to the injury at Memphis.  Sometimes, it's not just about the physical healing.  Getting back into the exact same rhythm - the rhythm that saw success - might be hard for some.  You're a little bit older when you're healed.  Maybe you see things differently.  In GG's case, he was emerging from the injury into a different offensive system, with a different roster.  Something didn't click, and he's never gotten dialed back in since.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/how-one-quarterbacks-transfer-tells-the-story-of-modern-college-football-grant-gunnell-sam-houston

How one quarterback's transfer tells the story of modern college football

At one point in time, Grant Gunnell was the Next Big Thing at quarterback. Today, he's grinding for playing time at his fourth FBS school.

Wow, seeing that in print is amazing.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

These writers really failed Gunnell by not linking the obvious decline in his performance to the timing of the injury he sustained.  It was barely mentioned.  They just focused on his trail of schools, almost like mocking it.

This writer is Zach Barnett, I believe a nephew of Dave Barnett, who usually does a really good job.  I believe he is also a NT alumni and would be aware of the injury. Wonder why he did reference it. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This writer is Zach Barnett, I believe a nephew of Dave Barnett, who usually does a really good job.  I believe he is also a NT alumni and would be aware of the injury. Wonder why he did reference it. 

I always thought Dave was Zach’s father but I guess I’m wrong. Zach’s bio says he went to Texas.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

At one point, you just gotta commit and go all in. Arizona should have been that stop, but it seems like he was forced to always overachieve his expectations (By who, I wonder...?)

The portal can help revive careers. In this case, it has all but ended it because there was no commitment to working harder/better to earn the spot. Find the next easiest stop and hope for the best?

• Upvote 1