New Green Brigade Director

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I wonder what happened to the former director, Dr Williams, I think.  I think he came here from Penn State and got his PhD.  

Best of luck and Amy Woody.

He is the director of bands at the University of Melbourne...down under! BTW, he got all of his degrees at North Texas.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

He is the director of bands at the University of Melbourne...down under! BTW, he got all of his degrees at North Texas.

williams was also a drum major of mine while at north texas, not that ya'll care, but he is a true north texas guy

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/4/2023 at 9:01 AM, greenjoe said:

I wonder what happened to the former director, Dr Williams, I think.  I think he came here from Penn State and got his PhD.  

23 hours ago, THOR said:

williams was also a drum major of mine while at north texas, not that ya'll care, but he is a true north texas guy

He did his undergrad at North Texas as well; he and I had some classes together.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:25 AM, UNTLifer said:

I wish her great success, but I am underwhelmed by the hire.  Hope she proves me wrong.

Following a thorough national search for the position of Director of Athletic Bands,

I will admit I know very little about her job, but this seems like an underwhelming hire for the high level many hold the Green Brigade to.

• Upvote 2

It says she was a student of Dr Cook at UNT, who she is now replacing. From what I found, the Guyer band is highly rated in UIL competition every year. I wish I could find their results, but the UIL site and their social media suck.  I'm sure she'll do great. 

1 hour ago, YNWA2017 said:

It says she was a student of Dr Cook at UNT, who she is now replacing. From what I found, the Guyer band is highly rated in UIL competition every year. I wish I could find their results, but the UIL site and their social media suck.  I'm sure she'll do great. 

When all else fails, we do not lose halftime.  Is this the equivalent of when Notre Dame hire Gerry Faust?  I will reserve judgement until I see them perform.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:40 AM, YNWA2017 said:

She is taking over the most visible part of supposedly one of the best music school around, the marching band.  I fail to see how anyone is impressed with a former high school band director who won UIL competitions.

I do think that obviously she has potential way above anything she has thus far accomplished.  It still looks like a risky move to me.  

However, nothing surprises much with NT's band program, who apparently embraced the idea the bigger the better.  They have been consistently outperformed by smaller more enthusiastic bands.   This is not a knock on the band members, but a condemnation of the direction of the band. 

Bring back the focus on the drumline, learn more than 3 songs, play some music that football fans not music majors want to listen to. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Bring back the focus on the drumline, learn more than 3 songs, play some music that football fans not music majors want to listen to. 

I love UNT, but this, like most things that surround the "Game Day" experience at UNT, struggle. Sadly, most UNT programs that " fans " watch don't seem to focus on doing things for the fans. From music to the color of uniforms, it seems lately it has become the company line that "it's what they want, so fans should not complain," but please send your donations.

• Upvote 1