Perry commits to Kansas State

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Agree.  Would we think of Joe Greene the same if he had spent his last season in college at Oklahoma or A$M before the NFL?   NO.   

what?
He'd still be the greatest DE that ever played, the greatest player that ever played in Denton.  You're off your rocker if you think he wouldn't be put in our HOF  nor memorialized with a statue or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, greenminer said:

what?
He'd still be the greatest DE that ever played, the greatest player that ever played in Denton.  You're off your rocker if you think he wouldn't be put in our HOF  nor memorialized with a statue or something.

Didn't say he wouldn't be in our HOF, but he would be in another college HOF too.   A shared greatest?  

Can you imagine him in an OU uniform as All-American?   Wouldn't be the same would it??

gomeangreen.com on Twitter: "He was the greatest defensive ...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Tylor Perry was amazing player and seems to be a good person. I wish him well.

He certainly tarnished his legacy here by transferring and won’t be remembered the same as if he stayed. He could have had a statue outside the Super Pit. Now he won’t.

Doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right decision for him though. How much more NIL did he get? Does Kansas State win the Big 12 and make a deep tournament run? Or does Kansas State come back down to earth in a very competitive conference and Tylor is just another forgettable one and done for them?

Will be interesting to see what happens. Go Mean Green!

Edited by MeanGreenZen
Spelling
  • Upvote 4

And some of the Tylor worshippers on here are underestimating what he turned his back on and abandoned.

We won the NIT last year and Florida Atlantic damn near won a national championship and we gave Florida Atlantic all they could handle TWICE last year. 
Even with Grant gone: Ross + our returning roster + Tylor and a few higher level recruits (who would be available to us because of our recent success and this opportunity) and we could have made a Florida Atlantic-like run next season. 
I would also like to point out that Florida Atlantic kept EVERYONE because none of those players made selfish decisions.

The idea that we at North Texas can’t have nice things is a loser mentality. Be a winner.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, NT80 said:

Didn't say he wouldn't be in our HOF, but he would be in another college HOF too.   A shared greatest?  

Can you imagine him in an OU uniform as All-American?   Wouldn't be the same would it??

It would absolutely be the same.  Even better, because his greatness would be solidified.  Their success was a not a matter of anything specific to Denton.  Timing.  Matchups.  nothing got in his way.

It wiggs you out when someone's accomplishments are shared and you cannot call it all your own.  I don't know how to address this weird sense of possessiveness some of y'all have. I don't relate to that.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

I'd love for Perry to have an amazing season in Manhattan and make a run in March like the Wildcats did this year.  But it's also gonna twist the knife if he does.  I want him to have a ton of success and it'll really hurt.

Both can be true.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

He could have had a statue outside the Super Pit. Now he won’t.

Statue? How many would you put up?

https://dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/unts-hamlet-named-c-usa-male-athlete-of-the-year/article_05a638a0-3929-516f-bb96-9eb5742b7d39.html#:~:text=Hamlet was named the Michael L. Slive Conference,was named the league’s Player of the Year.

Winning CUSA Male Athlete of the Year> Winning Basketball MVP  

Even more so when there were 14 teams in Conference vs 11 teams in Conference.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

https://dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/unts-hamlet-named-c-usa-male-athlete-of-the-year/article_05a638a0-3929-516f-bb96-9eb5742b7d39.html#:~:text=Hamlet was named the Michael L. Slive Conference,was named the league’s Player of the Year.

Oh! Hamlet remains the greatest player in program history. No doubt. Dude won a freaking NCAA tournament game and finished his college career at North Texas. 

Tylor forfeited his chance to eclipse him. And if Tylor had stayed and had another year like last year with the same kind of team success, he would be a beloved legend worthy of a statue.

He will still be remembered fondly by me, but I will also remember that he preferred to finish his career somewhere else. 

All y’all who don’t care about that probably let your wife sleep with other dudes. I’m not down with that. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
Spelling
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 5

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Oh! Hamlet remains the greatest player in program history. No doubt. Dude won a freaking NCAA tournament game and finished his college career at North Texas. 

Great player, but greatest in program history?

Come On No GIF by Bounce

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't know how to address this weird sense of possessiveness some of y'all have.

it's ego...maybe even bordering on narcissism for some. it's why so much of the negativity post-NIT has read like lovers scorned.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

And some of the Tylor worshippers on here are underestimating what he turned his back on and abandoned.

We won the NIT last year and Florida Atlantic damn near won a national championship and we gave Florida Atlantic all they could handle TWICE last year. 
Even with Grant gone: Ross + our returning roster + Tylor and a few higher level recruits (who would be available to us because of our recent success and this opportunity) and we could have made a Florida Atlantic-like run next season. 
I would also like to point out that Florida Atlantic kept EVERYONE because none of those players made selfish decisions.

The idea that we at North Texas can’t have nice things is a loser mentality. Be a winner.

I'm very intrigued to see what FAU does this year. I believe most of the big tourney runs in the past...George Mason, VCU, Loyola Chicago...were done by very senior-laden teams...that the Owls are bringing back like 90% of their scoring is interesting. 

to the first bolded part...the close-call/what-if game is a dangerous one, and logically flawed. their run is not really a comparison for what UNT could've/would've done in their place and I don't feel like we nearly twice beat a top 4 in the country team last season in our games with FAU. 

to the second...I'd be curious if Kai had eligibility and the whole Abou thing didn't happen if TP would've given more consideration to staying. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I’m interested in hearing who you think was better or more successful…

I have nothing but respect for Javion, but I could throw out names like Joe Hamilton, Kenneth Lyons, Chris Davis, and Melvin Davis.  Couple of others that I could throw in there would be names like Jesse Ratliff, Tony Worrell, John Savage and Josh White.  It is difficult to compare eras, etc., and I really don't want to discredit Hamlet in any way, but I think there would be quite a bit of discussion prior to anointing him greatest player of all time.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I have nothing but respect for Javion, but I could throw out names like Joe Hamilton, Kenneth Lyons, Chris Davis, and Melvin Davis.  Couple of others that I could throw in there would be names like Jesse Ratliff, Tony Worrell, John Savage and Josh White.  It is difficult to compare eras, etc., and I really don't want to discredit Hamlet in any way, but I think there would be quite a bit of discussion prior to anointing him greatest player of all time.

He (Javion) should be top 5 with Lyons, Davis, Hamilton, and in my opinion Jordan Williams simply due to loyalty. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

5 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

I think Hamlet was better overall, but NIT MVP was HUGE.  IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Tylor forfeited his chance to eclipse him. And if Tylor had stayed and had another year like last year with the same kind of team success, he would be a beloved legend worthy of a statue.

He will still be remembered fondly by me, but I will also remember that he preferred to finish his career somewhere else. 

All y’all who don’t care about that probably let your wife sleep with other dudes. I’m not down with that. 

80S Dancing GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/3/2023 at 8:35 PM, Venson said:

It's in the article that Brett Vito wrote. Here it is from the article. 

"Hodge encouraged Perry to explore his options.

“What I love about coach Hodge is he told me, ‘You have to go,’” Perry said. “He said, ‘It’s time. You’ve earned it. You’ve done everything you can here. You gave everything you could to us. You need to go spread your wings.’”

Damn. I didn’t know that. That is some beta cuck talk there. Hope that isn’t true and was maybe misinterpreted by Tylor. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If anyone has followed NT basketball closely during the 21st Century, they would say Chris Davis was/is the best player to wear Green for us, and it's not really all that much of a debate.  Leaving Davis out of a "top 5" list means you aren't paying attention, or haven't been around very long.    As for Hamlet VS Perry... it's a close one, but I'll tip slightly to Javion, just for that sweet, sweet floater in the lane he could always hit if he needed to.