Perry commits to Kansas State

11 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Nothing against Nowell, but I think Perry is better. 

Better shooter, no question IMHO.  Nowell was a MUCH better passer though.  Hell, he was one of the best passers I've seen in college going back the last dozen years or so.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

If I put money on it, I would have bet this. Might have been nothing, but he took a picture with everyone during his visit to K State.

Happy for him. I will always love TP for what he did here. I hope he does well there and makes it far in any level of professional basketball.

• Upvote 3

Doesn’t make much sense when your new head coach is convinced that we are only a G5 program; with no aspirations to elevate the basketball program.  

Why would he encourage his borderline P5 player to move on and out? No the job is not finished and yes, Tylor could have helped the program more. Does he ever go after legit P5 players in the portal? Or, does he have the mindset that we are just North Texas. Does this have something to do with Reese, Woolridge, Abou, Hamlet, Mo Gipson, and others, moving on? We did just beat Purdue, Wisconsin and Oklahoma State. Let Perry make the decision to move on on his own. Sell him on the opportunity to help do greater things.

In every interview where I’ve heard Ross speak he characterizes us as a G5 school. Would we have been better off with a national search to secure a P5 coach/assistant coach coming in to build a P5 type program? I get the lack of NIL money and maybe this was 99% the issue.

Im just venting. This was probably the best fit for Perry in his last year of college basketball. He was becoming a legend off the court in Denton and we encouraged him to walk.

I’m sure McCasland could have signed him if he felt he could help Texas Tech. Missed opportunity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

12 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Out of all the potential destinations he was going to go to I'm glad that he picked Kansas State. They really came on late this year and he stands the best chance of advancing far into the tournament next year with this team.

It was the best and most natural fit. Tech is rebuilding, Ole Miss & Florida are just ehh. At K State, they have their foundation built and there’s familiarity there. Tylor is smart and I’m glad he weighed his options for as long as he did. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, rcade said:

Boy is he going to feel foolish next year when UNT wins the NCAA tournament.

Even moreso if we beat KSU on the way to the title.

Imagine a run that involves TTech in the S16, and KSU in the E8.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, Cooley said:

Doesn’t make much sense when your new head coach is convinced that we are only a G5 program; with no aspirations to elevate the basketball program.  

Why would he encourage his borderline P5 player to move on and out? No the job is not finished and yes, Tylor could have helped the program more. Does he ever go after legit P5 players in the portal? Or, does he have the mindset that we are just North Texas. Does this have something to do with Reese, Woolridge, Abou, Hamlet, Mo Gipson, and others, moving on? We did just beat Purdue, Wisconsin and Oklahoma State. Let Perry make the decision to move on on his own. Sell him on the opportunity to help do greater things.

In every interview where I’ve heard Ross speak he characterizes us as a G5 school. Would we have been better off with a national search to secure a P5 coach/assistant coach coming in to build a P5 type program? I get the lack of NIL money and maybe this was 99% the issue.

Im just venting. This was probably the best fit for Perry in his last year of college basketball. He was becoming a legend off the court in Denton and we encouraged him to walk.

I’m sure McCasland could have signed him if he felt he could help Texas Tech. Missed opportunity. 

Where are you seeing/hearing that we actively encouraged Tylor to move on? Can’t possibly imagine that’s reality.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Where are you seeing/hearing that we actively encouraged Tylor to move on? Can’t possibly imagine that’s reality.

It's in the article that Brett Vito wrote. Here it is from the article. 

"Hodge encouraged Perry to explore his options.

“What I love about coach Hodge is he told me, ‘You have to go,’” Perry said. “He said, ‘It’s time. You’ve earned it. You’ve done everything you can here. You gave everything you could to us. You need to go spread your wings.’”

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Venson said:

It's in the article that Brett Vito wrote. Here it is from the article. 

"Hodge encouraged Perry to explore his options.

“What I love about coach Hodge is he told me, ‘You have to go,’” Perry said. “He said, ‘It’s time. You’ve earned it. You’ve done everything you can here. You gave everything you could to us. You need to go spread your wings.’”

Gotta admit - that’s a wild quote. Can be interpreted a couple of different ways. 

Not a fan of the “you’ve done everything you can here”. Winning the NIT was special but it’s not the NCAA Tournament. We could have run it back again next season - added a couple transfer pieces and tried to make a Sweet 16 push. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Gotta admit - that’s a wild quote. Can be interpreted a couple of different ways. 

Not a fan of the “you’ve done everything you can here”. Winning the NIT was special but it’s not the NCAA Tournament. We could have run it back again next season - added a couple transfer pieces and tried to make a Sweet 16 push. 

Agree.  Would we think of Joe Greene the same if he had spent his last season in college at Oklahoma or A$M before the NFL?   NO.   

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1