Austin Aune- Atlanta Falcons Camp Invite

jtm0097

44 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Some of you are just splitting hairs analyzing AA’s stats. Much like how your GPA doesn’t matter beyond an internship or maybe a first job, his college stats don’t mean a dang thing anymore. Once you get a chance, it’s your turn to prove your worth. I’ll be pulling for him. He’s always seemed like a good ambassador for UNT.

AEADE5DD-E0A8-496E-83E5-E02FDED58444.jpeg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Cooley said:

My sister’s grandson signed with the Minnesota Vikings; their top free agent  target.  Had over 30 college offers before UNT offered late. Exciting times for Aune and many other families going through the process. 

You could have just said your great nephew.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Ability to recognize his talent and play him?

No, I said coaching ability. Your statement refers to talent evaluation. These are two different things. SL and Co could definitely evaluate talent. It was their ability to coach these guys up to their potential and put them in the best position possible to succeed that did them in.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

Hmmm, lots of numbers being thrown around. I was just curious about one of our legendary QB's Steve Ramsey. Please keep in mind that all his numbers are based on playing for three years.

# of passes attempted 1015

# of passes completed 491

# of passing yards 7076

# of TD passes thrown 69

# of interceptions  67

Pro career, 71-76 with the Denver Broncos.  6437 yrds passing, 35 TD's and 58 Int's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Aune is a good passer...as long as there isn't a defender.  I'm guessing that he had no interceptions (because there weren't any defenders).  It almost seemed that he thought that as long as someone caught it, it was a completion.  That doesn't mean that he can't be taught.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Hmmm, lots of numbers being thrown around. I was just curious about one of our legendary QB's Steve Ramsey. Please keep in mind that all his numbers are based on playing for three years.

# of passes attempted 1015

# of passes completed 491

# of passing yards 7076

# of TD passes thrown 69

# of interceptions  67

Pro career, 71-76 with the Denver Broncos.  6437 yrds passing, 35 TD's and 58 Int's. 

I could go old school and mention how it was harder to complete passes when DBs were allowed to maul the receivers and be much more aggressive, and how many more completions/yards might he have had if his receivers could have worn the gloves they wear today? 

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I could go old school and mention how it was harder to complete passes when DBs were allowed to maul the receivers and be much more aggressive, and how many more completions/yards might he have had if his receivers could have worn the gloves they wear today? 

With all this talk about the importance of completion percentage, I would like to point out that Riley Dodge completed 67.7 percent of his passes in 2009 while leading us to a 2 win season.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/16/2023 at 10:33 PM, Cr1028 said:

Play calling that made him the single season record holder for passing touchdowns while leading the nation in yards per completion? Yes I know yards per completion, well what about all of those incompletions. Good point, he finished 18th in the NATION in yards per attempt right between 17th ranked Dylan Gabriel of OU and 19th ranked Frank Harris of Bexar County CC.

Because he played a (what would be in this scenario) NFL quarterback over all the guys on here wanting anybody but Aune?

Ability to recognize his talent and play him?

We played a high risk/high reward type of offense which is why Aune’s completion percentage was low and interceptions were high. His touchdowns were also very high. Many of you are super high on Chandler Rogers and his 67.5% completion percentage and just get disgusted at Aune’s 56.4% last season. Did you know that even with a much higher completion rate Rogers averaged a full 1.1 yards per attempt less than Aune. Their touchdown to interception ratio was almost identical yet Aune threw for a touchdown every 12.5 attempts while Rogers threw one every 21 attempts. Aune was not anywhere close to as bad as some of you made him out to be.

You could make it even easier.  Rogers threw just about one touchdown a game...one.  Now, I'm optimistic about Rogers and think he looks like a solid get (although in my opinion he's been outperformed so far), but completion % can be misleading. Short completions and garbage time completions against loose coverage can embellish that stat. So, I'm a little skeptical of his high completion % when its accompanied by other stats that are on the low side.  If he was so good at completing passes why didn't they ask him to do it more often?

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

With all this talk about the importance of completion percentage, I would like to point out that Riley Dodge completed 67.7 percent of his passes in 2009 while leading us to a 2 win season.

Since we're comparing two teams playing in completely different leagues with different coaching staffs and different rosters, why not make other irrelevant comparisons? When the New England Patriots when 16-0, Tom Brady posted a career best 68.9% completion percentage yet they couldn't even win the Super Bowl! Just more evidence a high completion percentage means nothing!

Completion percentage is one of the most important QB stats there is. If a coaching staff can't figure out how to take advantage of an accurate passing attack, that's on them.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Because our defense gave up an average of 35.58 points per game.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Since we're comparing two teams playing in completely different leagues with different coaching staffs and different rosters, why not make other irrelevant comparisons? When the New England Patriots when 16-0, Tom Brady posted a career best 68.9% completion percentage yet they couldn't even win the Super Bowl! Just more evidence a high completion percentage means nothing!

Completion percentage is one of the most important QB stats there is. If a coaching staff can't figure out how to take advantage of an accurate passing attack, that's on them.

It doesn’t mean “nothing” but it isn’t the end all statistic for quarterbacks, especially those playing in an offense built on low percentage big yardage plays.

By your logic there should be no comparing any quarterbacks that aren’t on the same roster at the same time who have played snaps against similar competition at similarly competitive points within the games.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

I'm rooting for Aune to make it.  I really am.  Seems like a genuinely good dude and agree that he was always a classy ambassador for UNT.  However...

Stats are great, but why so many have a negative memory of him has more to do with watching the games and knowing that WHEN he threw an interception it very often cost us ball games; or turned games around in the other team's favor that we had been winning.  What we can't say, at least those of us that are mere spectators, is whether all of those interceptions were his fault or the receiver's.  Many looked like he just flat out missed accounting for a defender sitting on routes and threw balls right to them.  I don't know that because I don't study the tape...but I think most casual fans see those kinds of plays and just blame the QB. 

At the end of the day, the team was a few plays away from being a 9+ win team last year and a multiple bowl game champ the last couple years...and the most memorable of those plays were bad interceptions.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

It doesn’t mean “nothing” but it isn’t the end all statistic for quarterbacks, especially those playing in an offense built on low percentage big yardage plays.

By your logic there should be no comparing any quarterbacks that aren’t on the same roster at the same time who have played snaps against similar competition at similarly competitive points within the games.

If we're going to compare QBs lets look at other QBs in the system (Briles Veer and Shoot). Here's Aune

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/austin-aune-1.htm

Here's Briles at Baylor post RGIII

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/baylor/2012.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/baylor/2013.html

Rk Player G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1 Bryce Petty 13 250 403 62.0 4200 10.4 11.7 32 3 174.3
2 Seth Russell 7 26 43 60.5 427 9.9 8.2 3 3 152.9
3 Levi Norwood 13 1 1 100.0 41 41.0 41.0 0 0 444.4
4 Brody Trahan 12 0 1 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/baylor/2014.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/baylor/2015.html

Same offense, better QB play, better coaching. It's a chicken and egg situation. Littrell and Bloesch by extension did not run the offense well, and Aune did not execute to the level that leads to success

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If we're going to compare QBs lets look at other QBs in the system (Briles Veer and Shoot). Here's Aune

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/austin-aune-1.htm

Here's Briles at Baylor post RGIII

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/baylor/2012.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/baylor/2013.html

1 Bryce Petty 13 250 403 62.0 4200 10.4 11.7 32 3 174.3
2 Seth Russell 7 26 43 60.5 427 9.9 8.2 3 3 152.9
3 Levi Norwood 13 1 1 100.0 41 41.0 41.0 0 0 444.4
4 Brody Trahan 12 0 1 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/baylor/2014.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/baylor/2015.html

Same offense, better QB play, better coaching. It's a chicken and egg situation. Littrell and Bloesch by extension did not run the offense well, and Aune did not execute to the level that leads to success

Maybe having first team All-Big12 receivers would have helped.

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Maybe having first team All-Big12 receivers would have helped.

Alright I'll play. 2006 Houston Cougars in CUSA also led by Briles:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/houston/2006.html

1 Kevin Kolb 14 292 432 67.6 3809 8.8 9.8 30 4 162.7
2 Blake Joseph 3 6 8 75.0 56 7.0 1.4 0 1 108.8
3 Vincent Marshall 14 1 1 100.0 18 18.0 18.0 0 0 251.2
4 Anthony Alridge 14 1 1 100.0 6 6.0 6.0 0 0 150.4
5 Roshawn Pope 14 0 1 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0

In my opinion it falls more on the coaching. Our offensive staff and head coach failed Aune, and frankly, Aune did himself no favors.

If Kevin Kolb can complete 68% of his passes with a 7.5 TD/Int ratio with a similar Y/A, why couldn't Aune do the same?

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

In my opinion it falls more on the coaching. Our offensive staff and head coach failed Aune, and frankly, Aune did himself no favors.

If Kevin Kolb can complete 68% of his passes with a 7.5 TD/Int ratio with a similar Y/A, why couldn't Aune do the same?

Kevin Kolb played 6 years in the NFL and was a starter at times. That's a hell of a bar. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

By the time the season began in which Kolb completed 68% of his passes with a 7.5 TD/Int ratio, he was on his 37th consecutive start and had thrown 1,133 passes. Before this season Aune had played in (not all starts, 2 were as 3rd string as a freshman) 23 games and attempted 485 passes.

In Kolb’s junior season he had 19 TDs and 15 Ints. He came into that season with 24 consecutive starts and 713 pass attempts. Aune had one full season as a starter, not 4. These are not the same scenarios.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Because our defense gave up an average of 35.58 points per game.

Probably my biggest complaint with Seth is that you have a defense that struggles he made minimal effort to use up the clock when we had the ball, unlike many teams who try to slow it down when your defense struggles.

• Upvote 2

I'm happy for Aune and wish him the best. Anytime a UNT QB gets a shot at the NFL, I'm going to support him. I hope he makes a team and has a long successful NFL career. If he does it will certainly be a massive indictment on Littrell's ability to develop QB's, because if Aune makes it in the NFL, he probably should have been way more productive at UNT. 

• Upvote 2