Austin Aune- Atlanta Falcons Camp Invite

jtm0097

12 hours ago, THOR said:

i am going to assume you never made it to an NFL camp....

You assume incorrectly, sir.

Rojomojo made the Chiefs practice squad as a long snapper back in twenty aught four. Had to retire after he began dating a cheerleader and tore his sacroiliac during a disastrous first attempt at tantric lovemaking.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

Seriously?   Unless you're an established star quality QB by age 30, the term NFL means "Not For Long" on your expected playing career.

Aune still has a shot to make it as a backup and some of those guys stick around for years.

Chad Henne just retired at 37 and led a scoring drive in a playoff game last season when Mahomes got hurt.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

45 minutes ago, rcade said:

You assume incorrectly, sir.

Rojomojo made the Chiefs practice squad as a long snapper back in twenty aught four. Had to retire after he began dating a cheerleader and tore his sacroiliac during a disastrous first attempt at tantric lovemaking.

Will Ferrell Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If Aune makes the 53 and especially if he has some success it'll be an indictment on SL and Co's coaching ability. 

This! If he can make an NFL roster, it points more to the fact that he was not used correctly here with the play calling and the impact of not having an FBS-caliber QB coach

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

Reading the article, it talks more of AA than anybody, it mentions him 1st on the list.  I think this bodes well for him. 

believe it or not, I have noted in multiple articles about players, those mentioned 1st seem to have the upper hand in some way. 

anyway, I hope is makes the team. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This! If he can make an NFL roster, it points more to the fact that he was not used correctly here with the play calling and the impact of not having an FBS-caliber QB coach

Play calling that made him the single season record holder for passing touchdowns while leading the nation in yards per completion? Yes I know yards per completion, well what about all of those incompletions. Good point, he finished 18th in the NATION in yards per attempt right between 17th ranked Dylan Gabriel of OU and 19th ranked Frank Harris of Bexar County CC.

3 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I’m skeptical but rooting for him. If he does make the 53, yet another reason we were right to get rid of Littrell

Because he played a (what would be in this scenario) NFL quarterback over all the guys on here wanting anybody but Aune?

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If Aune makes the 53 and especially if he has some success it'll be an indictment on SL and Co's coaching ability. 

Ability to recognize his talent and play him?

We played a high risk/high reward type of offense which is why Aune’s completion percentage was low and interceptions were high. His touchdowns were also very high. Many of you are super high on Chandler Rogers and his 67.5% completion percentage and just get disgusted at Aune’s 56.4% last season. Did you know that even with a much higher completion rate Rogers averaged a full 1.1 yards per attempt less than Aune. Their touchdown to interception ratio was almost identical yet Aune threw for a touchdown every 12.5 attempts while Rogers threw one every 21 attempts. Aune was not anywhere close to as bad as some of you made him out to be.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

My sister’s grandson signed with the Minnesota Vikings; their top free agent  target.  Had over 30 college offers before UNT offered late. Exciting times for Aune and many other families going through the process. 

Edited by Cooley
Addition
  • Upvote 6

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

We played a high risk/high reward type of offense which is why Aune’s completion percentage was low and interceptions were high.

No. AUNE played the high risk/reward. He didn't have to. He could have made better decisions even if the coaches were being dumb. That's part of the QB schtick. Good ones navigate the decisions they have to make on the field and go against the coaches when necessary.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

57 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Play calling that made him the single season record holder for passing touchdowns while leading the nation in yards per completion? Yes I know yards per completion, well what about all of those incompletions. Good point, he finished 18th in the NATION in yards per attempt right between 17th ranked Dylan Gabriel of OU and 19th ranked Frank Harris of Bexar County CC.

Because he played a (what would be in this scenario) NFL quarterback over all the guys on here wanting anybody but Aune?

We played a high risk/high reward type of offense which is why Aune’s completion percentage was low and interceptions were high. His touchdowns were also very high. Many of you are super high on Chandler Rogers and his 67.5% completion percentage and just get disgusted at Aune’s 56.4% last season. Did you know that even with a much higher completion rate Rogers averaged a full 1.1 yards per attempt less than Aune. Their touchdown to interception ratio was almost identical yet Aune threw for a touchdown every 12.5 attempts while Rogers threw one every 21 attempts. Aune was not anywhere close to as bad as some of you made him out to be.

I wanted to make a fair post that had nuance, but I also really wanted to be pedantic. What a ridiculous take.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Good ones navigate the decisions they have to make on the field and go against the coaches when necessary.

No, the ones that go against the coaches are not the good ones. They are the ones that get benched. Anyone that has played team sports knows this.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Interesting stats.  Now let’s take a deeper dive.  

Aune threw 411 passes last season with a completion percentage of 56.4% and 15 interceptions.  

Chandler Rogers attempted 319 passes for a completion percentage of 67.7% and 7 interceptions.  

So, Austin Aune threw an interception every 27.4 pass attempts….compared to Rogers’ interception every 45.57 attempts.  

So, Aune played in a more pass heavy offense where he was roughly TWICE as likely to throw the ball to the opposition on a given pass and 10 percentage points less likely to complete a pass to his teammate.  

I simply cannot imagine why some are eager to see where we could go with a guy under center who performs better when asked to throw the ball.   

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Interesting stats.  Now let’s take a deeper dive.  

Aune threw 411 passes last season with a completion percentage of 56.4% and 15 interceptions.  

Chandler Rogers attempted 319 passes for a completion percentage of 67.7% and 7 interceptions.  

So, Austin Aune threw an interception every 27.4 pass attempts….compared to Rogers’ interception every 45.57 attempts.  

So, Aune played in a more pass heavy offense where he was roughly TWICE as likely to throw the ball to the opposition on a given pass and 10 percentage points less likely to complete a pass to his teammate.  

I simply cannot imagine why some are eager to see where we could go with a guy under center who performs better when asked to throw the ball.   

Aune passed the ball just over 29 times per game while Rogers passed in just under 27 times per game. I wouldn’t say one was significantly more pass heavy than the other. 

Yes Aune was nearly twice as likely to throw a touchdown or an interception than Rogers. Both are true. 

Even with completing ten percentage points fewer, he still averaged over a yard more per attempt. Simply stated, despite some inefficiencies, he was more productive with the football in his hand. His passer rating and QBR were also both higher than Rogers despite those ten percentage points of completions.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2