Why does SMU always come after our players

17 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I feel like we may need to report this crap to the NCAA.  It’s very frustrating to have them combing through our roster and tampering with out best players every year.  I absolutely despise SMU and think they are probably  cheating again.  

First, no school can tamper if the athlete or their family/"people" do not respond. It's not just SMU; tampering is rampant. No matter how well intended, the entire NIL is a corrupted process. The Collectives working independently of the schools? Bullshit. The system was put in place, or forced into place, by Judges and Politicians who could care less about the game of college football. There seems to be such a fear of being blacklisted by naming names that it makes you wonder if the first coach or player who does it well must enter witness protection. The NCAA is spineless and has no way to control it. Their (NCAAs) main concern is staying a relevant figurehead and keeping their salaries.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

Going by reports on the board here, Siggers left because he was going to be a backup, Robertson entered the portal because of a defensive system change, who else have they come after?

You're missing the point, I believe. Especially with Siggers, there was very little doubt tampering was involved. Entering the portal and tampering are different issues.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, DentonStang said:

So, one was an acceptable transfer because of a scheme change, so you have a whole data set of one player to constitute "always coming after"? 

We have like 6 players that transferred from Miami on the team. Are we out to get them too?

Hey, where did Tanner go?

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

So, one was an acceptable transfer because of a scheme change, so you have a whole data set of one player to constitute "always coming after"? 

We have like 6 players that transferred from Miami on the team. Are we out to get them too?

Regardless of the number you know full well that Samples and/or Mathis convinced Siggers to hop in the portal to go to SMU. That is tampering and supposed to be against NCAA rules.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Regardless of the number you know full well that Samples and/or Mathis convinced Siggers to hop in the portal to go to SMU. That is tampering and supposed to be against NCAA rules.

I can't say I know exactly what happened, and whatever rules exist on tampering seem pretty loose for all programs, but I don't think anyone had to sneak a note to Siggers for him to know we had NIL funds and we really needed an experienced RB.  I'm not sure you need tampering to explain what happened

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

I can't say I know exactly what happened, and whatever rules exist on tampering seem pretty loose for all programs, but I don't think anyone had to sneak a note to Siggers for him to know we had NIL funds and we really needed an experienced RB.  I'm not sure you need tampering to explain what happened

Just coincidentally playing for his high school coach’s son. Got it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

Two questions.

1.  What did Siggers do to earn NIL funds?  Being on the roster doesn't count.  How did he earn that money utilizing his name, image or likeness?

2.  Somebody reached out to him while he was on our active roster from SMU and I call that tampering?  What do you call it?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I feel like we may need to report this crap to the NCAA.  It’s very frustrating to have them combing through our roster and tampering with out best players every year.  I absolutely despise SMU and think they are probably  cheating again.  

I know my question is going to piss some of us off, but I think it is a fair one. Which degree has more value, a degree from SMU or UNT? From TCU or UNT?  Just asking.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, wardly said:

I know my question is going to piss some of us off, but I think it is a fair one. Which degree has more value, a degree from SMU or UNT? From TCU or UNT?  Just asking.

In my experience once you’ve started your career folks almost never consider the institution you graduated from. They only seem to care that you graduated from somewhere and then focus on your experience.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Wisconsin

That's an interesting question, I forgot about Tanner. Last I heard, he was forgoing his final year at SMU and then commits to Wisconsin, 2 minutes after entering the portal. Do you guys think, something was going on behind the scenes with with Wisconsin?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

That's an interesting question, I forgot about Tanner. Last I heard, he was forgoing his final year at SMU and then commits to Wisconsin, 2 minutes after entering the portal. Do you guys think, something was going on behind the scenes with with Wisconsin?

He want to be the next Russel Wilson. Not sure if he will.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

He had it made it clear he was done and was entering the draft, which aligns with our need to play our heir apparent Preston Stone.  Him being done at SMU was a mutual decision.  It seems as if Wisconsin threw some cash at him to fill their QB need, or perhaps Tanner thought it would boost his draft stock. Don't know. But there was no nefarious tampering. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I think my answers may derail the overtly leading questions you are asking.  

In what field is the degree being pursued?  What job is the degree holder seeking?  What market (city/state) will the degree holder be working in?  

Rice is the truly elite academic institution in this state.  The rest are situationally prestigious. 

This. SMU is a good academic school in some areas but not all programs. They have a very different mission than UNT.

• Upvote 1