Dear Players, per your request it Business, not Personal.

I’ve been saying this for years. Stop with the “student” athlete charade.

Stop giving athletic scholarships. Give academic only. 

Don’t want to go to class? Don’t. 

good enough athlete? Pay them fair market price. Pay their health insurance like an employee.  They get hurt? Give them workers comp. 60% of their pay. Put  requirements on them. 

they don’t perform? Fire them. Replace them with someone better. If they were mistreated then another company err program will pick them up. 

If we’re gonna do this. Let’s do this. Football players work for a “billion dollar industry” the same way the student that works for the campus Starbucks. Treat them the same. If they want an education then negotiate it or get a loan like the kid working for the campus Chick-fil-A (another billion dollar company)

Just stop all this already. NCAA can go away then. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/30/2023 at 7:05 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Coaches, too. 

Please add administrators and anyone drawing large 6 figure salaries from college athletics.  Let’s be honest college football has been a cut throat dirty business since before SMU started their road toward the death penalty.  Now players are getting paid above board (90% of players are getting pennies compared it anything compared to the others feeding off the revenue college football generates) and can transfer we are so salty.  🙄🙄🙄.   You know the fans who aren’t bent out of shape over this?  The ones of programs that compete consistently at the highest level.

23 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If we’re gonna do this. Let’s do this. Football players work for a “billion dollar industry” the same way the student that works for the campus Starbucks. Treat them the same.

Watching those employees do their job isn’t a significant reason why you buy a cup of coffee.  Horrible comparison.  And I notice how limiting coaches salaries to more in line with professors and academic administrators wasn’t mentioned.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2023 at 7:41 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

I’ve been saying this for years. Stop with the “student” athlete charade.

Stop giving athletic scholarships. Give academic only. 

Don’t want to go to class? Don’t. 

good enough athlete? Pay them fair market price. Pay their health insurance like an employee.  They get hurt? Give them workers comp. 60% of their pay. Put  requirements on them. 

they don’t perform? Fire them. Replace them with someone better. If they were mistreated then another company err program will pick them up. 

If we’re gonna do this. Let’s do this. Football players work for a “billion dollar industry” the same way the student that works for the campus Starbucks. Treat them the same. If they want an education then negotiate it or get a loan like the kid working for the campus Chick-fil-A (another billion dollar company)

Just stop all this already. NCAA can go away then. 

This will happen with elite high school athletes too, NIL contracts while in high school.  They already have "basketball" and "baseball" focused high schools for elite athletes.   It's no different from kids in elite gymnastics or acting, etc.  Or just keep them home, hire a tutor and take online classes, and play club sports until they get that scholarship.  Can they quit attending high school class and just play high school sports only?  How about elite band members?   Pay everyone!  Where will it stop?

15 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Watching those employees do their job isn’t a significant reason why you buy a cup of coffee.  Horrible comparison.  And I notice how limiting coaches salaries to more in line with professors and academic administrators wasn’t mentioned.  🤷🏽‍♂️

Why is it a horrible comparison?

The argument seems to be “these kids need to be paid because college football is a billion dollar industry it’s not fair”

Agree

So treat them as employees. Stop with the “student athlete” charade. Just like the kid that works at Starbucks or Chick-fil-A or the groundskeeper or anyone that works on campus. Not sure what “watching them do their job” has to do with anything. 

As for professors vs coaches, if the market dictated that professors be paid what coaches do then they would.  Also, last time I checked, Coaches don’t have tenure. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Why is it a horrible comparison?

The argument seems to be “these kids need to be paid because college football is a billion dollar industry it’s not fair”

Agree

So treat them as employees. Stop with the “student athlete” charade. Just like the kid that works at Starbucks or Chick-fil-A or the groundskeeper or anyone that works on campus. Not sure what “watching them do their job” has to do with anything. 

As for professors vs coaches, if the market dictated that professors be paid what coaches do then they would.  Also, last time I checked, Coaches don’t have tenure. 

Well the coaches don't and around half of the professors don't. It has been steadily declining for decades. 

Coaches are professionals.  They have worked their way up the “corporate ladder” to get one of the very few head coaching jobs in America.  But you’re telling me a bunch of 20 year olds are supposed to make what a coach makes???  That’s ridiculous 

Do the players make more than the custodians, the concession workers, the kids working in the fan shop?  I bet the cost of that full scholarship is waaaay more.  

Plus, nobody is making you play college football.  If you feel like the system is somehow screwing you, don’t play.  There are plenty of others who would gladly take your place.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

“The Market” is an utter bullshit excuse to do a lot of duplicitous things that are morally ambiguous.  The problem with ambiguity is that it often counter to the public good.  The Market says Tik Tok is great and documentaries are almost worthless.  So yeah “the market” is a great way to make all big decisions 🙄.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I find this a straw man argument NOBODY proposed utter idiocy.   But I love the C-Suite “free market” mentality.  So when a profitable company announcing a great quarter before layoffs I want to hear praise from all College Football fans.  🤣

11 hours ago, NT93 said:

But you’re telling me a bunch of 20 year olds are supposed to make what a coach makes???  That’s ridiculous

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

19 hours ago, untphd said:

. It has been steadily declining for decades. 

Are you referring to tenure?  I assume you are.  

And we should mention coaches have guaranteed multi-year contracts professors don’t.  And coaches like Seth can retire off of one FBS head coach contract.  Professors can’t retire in their mid 40s tenured or not.  Tenure is not retirement and while it hard to get it taken away it can be.  This whole discussion to me is a microcosm of irony.  The work class people dumping on other young working class people trying to make a living defending the graft of system.  

Edited by Mike Jackson

11 hours ago, NT93 said:

Coaches are professionals.  They have worked their way up the “corporate ladder” to get one of the very few head coaching jobs in America.  But you’re telling me a bunch of 20 year olds are supposed to make what a coach makes???  That’s ridiculous 

Do the players make more than the custodians, the concession workers, the kids working in the fan shop?  I bet the cost of that full scholarship is waaaay more.  

Plus, nobody is making you play college football.  If you feel like the system is somehow screwing you, don’t play.  There are plenty of others who would gladly take your place.

right...100K people show up every saturday just to see what kinda moves Nick Saban has on the sideline. dude puts on a show...I mean I jump outta my seat every time he holds the play cards up to his mouth so no one can read his lips. pure entertainment.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NT93 said:

But you’re telling me a bunch of 20 year olds are supposed to make what a coach makes???

I mean, most pro athletes (many of them 20 year olds) make more than their coaches who have “climbed the corporate ladder.” I don’t think it’s that far fetched to envision a day where at least some college athletes make as much or more than their coaches.

10 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

You need to specify you are referring to tenure.  And coaches have guaranteed multi-year contracts professors don’t.  And coaches like Seth can retire off of one FBS head coach contract.  Professors can’t retire in their mid 40s tenured or not.  Tenure is not retirement and while it hard to get it taken away it can be.  This whole discussion to me is a microcosm of irony.  The work class people dumping on other young working class people trying to make a living defending the graft of system.  

Tell me what I need again.

4 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I mean, most pro athletes (many of them 20 year olds) make more than their coaches who have “climbed the corporate ladder.” I don’t think it’s that far fetched to envision a day where at least some college athletes make as much or more than their coaches.

That day is kind of already here.  Bijan Robinson supposedly was making over $2 million a year at UT.  That’s not more than his coach, but it’s more than many head coaches at the FBS level.

10 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

right...100K people show up every saturday just to see what kinda moves Nick Saban has on the sideline. dude puts on a show...I mean I jump outta my seat every time he holds the play cards up to his mouth so no one can read his lips. pure entertainment.

No, they show up to watch Alabama win which they do a lot with Saban as coach.

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

No, they show up to watch Alabama win which they do a lot with Saban as coach.

no one shows up to watch Saban. the players are the product, the talent and the entertainment, and as such, they deserve a piece of the pie. 

I'd much rather this flawed system than the exploitative one of the past. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

no one shows up to watch Saban. the players are the product, the talent and the entertainment, and as such, they deserve a piece of the pie. 

And those players would be that successful nor put in a position to win without Saban.  Just ask the talented kids that played at Alabama under Mike Shula.

45 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

And those players would be that successful nor put in a position to win without Saban.  Just ask the talented kids that played at Alabama under Mike Shula.

and Saban isn't winning national championships with UTSA's roster of 20 year olds. 

I'm not arguing that coaching doesn't have value. 

On 5/5/2023 at 8:58 AM, Censored by Laurie said:

I sure wish I was exploited like much of these players have been in the past. 

• Upvote 1