Breaking News: Jyaire Shorter and Larry Nixon Both Enter Transfer Portal

Uncle

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

So what's your argument here?  Are you suggesting the UNT strategy is better than the SMU strategy?

Based on post season success and the rumored amount smu has paid for their roster, I would suggest our strategy is better at least from a financial perspective.  Looks to me like smu has blown a lot of money with little to show for it.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Based on post season success and the rumored amount smu has paid for their roster, I would suggest our strategy is better at least from a financial perspective.  Looks to me like smu has blown a lot of money with little to show for it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This will be the first year where NIL was truly part of building our roster. We blew our initial load keeping Sonny from stealing our current players after he departed, and we didn't really get organized with the big money until after summer last year. Thus, small impact last year i.e 7-6 instead of 4 or less wins if Sonny poaches the best players, and we will hopefully see a larger impact this year. Post-spring reports have been good. We will see how it plays out this season.  

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This is the second recruiting class of the NIL era. We've had one season with any effect. Would you like to compare transfer classes?  Let's see how this season goes. If we don't blast through the AAC, then yes, it's wasted funds. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

This is the second recruiting class of the NIL era. We've had one season with any effect. Would you like to compare transfer classes?  Let's see how this season goes. If we don't blast through the AAC, then yes, it's wasted funds. 

Comparing transfer classes is like comparing recruiting classes. They haven’t done anything yet.  A&M had a great class and most of them transferred out. The proof will be in the results. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Comparing transfer classes is like comparing recruiting classes. They haven’t done anything yet.  A&M had a great class and most of them transferred out. The proof will be in the results. 

I agree. We have the tools.  If we don't have a really good year then we have a coaching issue.  There is nobody in the conference who should be able to complete with our talent level, as it looks on paper. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/12/2023 at 6:32 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Not saying Arnold is like this, but sadly many players, be it listening to family members or this crap with the national media, seems to think that being "on the team" at a top program is better than getting on the field and playing at a G5. For some, the "prestige" of P5 is more important.

This...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He certainly has the ability to play there when healthy.   Hopefully he can, and has a great finish to his career.

I certainly hope so as well. He's putting a ton of faith in Hugh Freeze and the new staff to work magic with that QB room though. I don't follow Auburn closely but I believe their returning QBs threw for a combined 8 TDs and 11 interceptions, 2000 total yards, and a tad above 51% completion last season. One barely played so there's some unknown there. Seems to be blindly chasing a dream.

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I certainly hope so as well. He's putting a ton of faith in Hugh Freeze and the new staff to work magic with that QB room though. I don't follow Auburn closely but I believe their returning QBs threw for a combined 8 TDs and 11 interceptions, 2000 total yards, and a tad above 51% completion last season. One barely played so there's some unknown there. Seems to be blindly chasing a dream.

51% completion is something Shorter is used to

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I believe Shorter earned his degree prior to last year.  I wish him well, but find it odd that he hasn't really tweeted anything out to North Texas.  I guess he would rather finish middle to bottom of the pack in the SEC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

51% completion is something Shorter is used to

Man, I thought the same. Shorter really said "this incoming Chandler Rogers guy completed nearly 68% of his passes? That's way too high! Let me go somewhere where the QB is closer to 50% like I'm used to."

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1