Breaking News: Jyaire Shorter and Larry Nixon Both Enter Transfer Portal

Uncle

17 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Many here have envied the Arkansas State’s and Boise State’s of the world as being stair steps for successful head coaches, what if we could be that for both players and coaches? If we could win the AAC every year while still having the retention of a JUCO, would that be acceptable to most? It would be acceptable to me. My loyalty is to the program, not the player.

There is a 0.00000000001% of this program winning the "AAC every year while still having the retention of a JUCO."  

My loyalty is to the program too, which is why I am deeply concerned about the movement of players. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

There is a 0.00000000001% of this program winning the "AAC every year while still having the retention of a JUCO."  

My loyalty is to the program too, which is why I am deeply concerned about the movement of players. 

I just figured if Kentucky can make waves with young players in basketball, we could too if we accept that we only have these star players for a brief time period. Maybe a guy that would spend a year or two on the bench at Texas or A&M comes here to star for us those first two years instead.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

On 5/3/2023 at 11:18 AM, UNTLifer said:

Considering our coaching change and the improvement in recruiting and 5 of our players heading out after spring practice, I don't think this is as dire as some of you.

I agree with this completely. With new coaches and new systems, some of these guys may be seeing the writing on the wall when it comes to their roles at UNT. My guess is some of them are reacting to what they're hearing and learning about from the new staff.

• Upvote 5

North Texas LB Larry Nixon pays visit to Auburn

After hauling in four key players from the transfer portal over the last two weeks, Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze mentioned that he would like to add another linebacker before the 2023 season begins.

He may be well on his way to making that dream a reality, as one of the top defensive players has recently paid a visit to campus.

Larry Nixon, the second-leading tackler for North Texas during the 2022 season, visited Auburn on Thursday and is expected to stay until Friday according to a report by Christian Clemente of Auburn Undercover.

read more:  https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/2023/05/12/auburn-football-north-texas-linebacker-larry-nixon-visits-transfer-portal-hugh-freeze/

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:25 AM, Cr1028 said:

I just figured if Kentucky can make waves with young players in basketball, we could too if we accept that we only have these star players for a brief time period. Maybe a guy that would spend a year or two on the bench at Texas or A&M comes here to star for us those first two years instead.

Yeah, all those benchwarmers from the "big" schools are destined to be stars at NT. 

Fail to see that Kentucky getting the best college freshmen in the country and then losing them to the pros has anything at all to do with NT.   

I don't see how lower level conference teams developing players and than losing them to teams higher on the food chain, is a good thing for those teams or sports in general. 

Hopefully, this transfer stuff will be less a factor without the free year due to the covid virus. 

54 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yeah, all those benchwarmers from the "big" schools are destined to be stars at NT. 

Fail to see that Kentucky getting the best college freshmen in the country and then losing them to the pros has anything at all to do with NT.   

I don't see how lower level conference teams developing players and than losing them to teams higher on the food chain, is a good thing for those teams or sports in general. 

Hopefully, this transfer stuff will be less a factor without the free year due to the covid virus. 

I’m not talking about scrubs here. I’m talking about getting players like 5-star quarterback Jackson Arnold from Denton Guyer to stay home and play for UNT for a year or two rather than going to OU and backing up Dillon Gabriel for that same time period.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not talking about scrubs here. I’m talking about getting players like 5-star quarterback Jackson Arnold from Denton Guyer to stay home and play for UNT for a year or two rather than going to OU and backing up Dillon Gabriel for that same time period.

Not saying Arnold is like this, but sadly many players, be it listening to family members or this crap with the national media, seems to think that being "on the team" at a top program is better than getting on the field and playing at a G5. For some, the "prestige" of P5 is more important.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not saying Arnold is like this, but sadly many players, be it listening to family members or this crap with the national media, seems to think that being "on the team" at a top program is better than getting on the field and playing at a G5. For some, the "prestige" of P5 is more important.

That’s fair. I recognize the sentiment from many “big school” fans. They typically have a “bless your heart” attitude about UNT.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

I can understand to some extent why Shorter might leave.  When he can stay injury free he is a talent.  We do have an influx of good receivers but he would have played, possibly started.  What I do not understand is Nixon leaving.  He came here as a two-star athlete and I think worked himself to a three-star.  However, few will look deeper than the fact that he left high school a two-star.  He might get an offer from a lower rated FBS team who cannot afford NIL.  I believe that he would've been better off to have stayed.  Maybe he'll return if he gets no offers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

I can understand to some extent why Shorter might leave.  When he can stay injury free he is a talent.  We do have an influx of good receivers but he would have played, possibly started.  What I do not understand is Nixon leaving.  He came here as a two-star athlete and I think worked himself to a three-star.  However, few will look deeper than the fact that he left high school a two-star.  He might get an offer from a lower rated FBS team who cannot afford NIL.  I believe that he would've been better off to have stayed.  Maybe he'll return if he gets no offers.

I’m pretty sure they announced he had an Auburn offer which most wouldn’t consider “a lower rated FBS team who cannot afford NIL”.

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

My guess he had several offers before he entered the portal.

I believe it is really rare that a starter leaves for the portal unless he already has assurances that he is going to a higher ranked school and/or is going to receive more NIL money.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

My guess he had several offers before he entered the portal.

I believe it is really rare that a starter leaves for the portal unless he already has assurances that he is going to a higher ranked school and/or is going to receive more NIL money.  

Yep. Tampering is an accepted practice by the ball-less NCAA

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

On the opposite end, look at Spencer Sanders. He transfers to Ole Miss and, at least through the Spring, is the backup. Also, I noticed Ole Miss is still bringing in Transfer QBs for a visit. It would have been nice to see him come home to finish off his college career in Denton.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Cam hit it on the head .....

• Upvote 1

I understand if Nixon is getting dollars but he did not destroy CUSA and the SEC is bigger and faster.  Might be situational LB or on kickoff teams but I dont see him being a starter at Auburn.

I really hope it does work out for him and I hope I am wrong and he does start for Auburn.   He was a solid player us and will be missed/

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1

On 5/12/2023 at 6:09 PM, Cr1028 said:

This is insanely backwards. Let's say you are a 5-star player. Here's your options:

1. Go to an OU or Alabama, collect NIL, train under the best coaches, with the best culture from high performing teammates, learn from the best in your position ahead of you, learn the system you hope to start in, then earn your spot or transfer down if you can't. 

Or

2.  Go to UNT, get no NIL, train under lesser coaches, with a weaker culture from midling non-NFL bound teammates, be the best at that position without better players to learn from, start day 1 before you are fully ready and hope your lesser teammates don't make you look bad or get you injured, and if you survive, hope there is a place for you to transfer up to.

#2 makes no sense. This is why most transfers are to a lower level. The blueprint is right down I-35.  There are more than enough players interested in coming down for playing time, already developed and ready. Your staff simply isn't taking full advantage or your boosters and admin are not supporting him sufficiently.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

39 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

This is insanely backwards. Let's say you are a 5-star player. Here's your options:

1. Go to an OU or Alabama, collect NIL, train under the best coaches, with the best culture from high performing teammates, learn from the best in your position ahead of you, learn the system you hope to start in, then earn your spot or transfer down if you can't. 

Or

2.  Go to UNT, get no NIL, train under lesser coaches, with a weaker culture from midling non-NFL bound teammates, be the best at that position without better players to learn from, start day 1 before you are fully ready and hope your lesser teammates don't make you look bad or get you injured, and if you survive, hope there is a place for you to transfer up to.

#2 makes no sense. This is why most transfers are to a lower level. The blueprint is right down I-35.  There are more than enough players interested in coming down for playing time, already developed and ready. Your staff simply isn't taking full advantage or your boosters and admin are not supporting him sufficiently.

Please help me clarify - In the last 2-3 years where SMU has paid for players, how many championships and Bowl games have you won?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1