Breaking News: Jyaire Shorter and Larry Nixon Both Enter Transfer Portal

Uncle

50 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Businesses, for the most part, have rules that are in place. This has become a freaking unregulated mess. If players want the ability to come and go as they please, schools should have the ability to cut them loose. Also, a one-time transfer without sitting should mean just that, one time. Players transferring multiple times without sitting is crap.

• Schools should be obligated to the first two years. At the end of the second year, if the player commits to completing their eligibility at that school, their scholarship is covered until they complete their eligibility. If they do not commit, then from that point on, they can be cut at any time. The player has the ability to ensure their education is covered.
  • Players should have to complete two seasons before they can transfer without sitting out. If you want to transfer before that, you sit out.
  • If you are a Grad transfer and have already transferred without sitting out, you have to sit out.
  • If a coach is caught tampering, they should lose their on-the-field coaching ability for one year, off the field coaches out for one year.

Though I like these all (especially the tampering rule you have there), I think it's too lenient. 

Transfer, you sit. 

Graduate and you transfer, you sit.  

Only waiver for immediate eligibility should be a verifiable and factual hardship waiver. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

Times have changed, if players can leave any time during the portal then coaches should absolutely be allowed to recruit replacements and cut scholarships/NIL. 

1 rule change that would bring this mess to a screeching halt is transfer teams must compensate NIL funds for the last year and total price of education cost unless the player is graduated. That way you at least get some compensation for developing a player and you can use that money to invest in current/future players. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I really hope we're not selling our program as a JUCO 2-year type product.

But I would rather have a bunch of salty 4-year kids ready to knock heads. The reason is simple, sustainability. It's great to land those type of players, but  building a program off the back of known future transfers implies that the progran will ALWAYS land that quality every recruiting cycle. That's not sustainable or realistic, and that sets up the program for mass turnover year over year in an era of already turnover. 

We can't keep 4-year kids.   High school recruits get one portal option to leave, otherwise they must sit a year on transfer a second time.   Thus, get them after their one-time portal transfer.

I would recruit only RS freshman or sophomores from JCs or P5s in the portals now.   They have no portal option left after they transfer to NT.  Fixed!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Businesses, for the most part, have rules that are in place. This has become a freaking unregulated mess. If players want the ability to come and go as they please, schools should have the ability to cut them loose. Also, a one-time transfer without sitting should mean just that, one time. Players transferring multiple times without sitting is crap.

• Schools should be obligated to the first two years. At the end of the second year, if the player commits to completing their eligibility at that school, their scholarship is covered until they complete their eligibility. If they do not commit, then from that point on, they can be cut at any time. The player has the ability to ensure their education is covered.
  • Players should have to complete two seasons before they can transfer without sitting out. If you want to transfer before that, you sit out.
  • If you are a Grad transfer and have already transferred without sitting out, you have to sit out.
  • If a coach is caught tampering, they should lose their on-the-field coaching ability for one year, off the field coaches out for one year.

I work as a regulatory consultant in the Financial Services world. Just because there are rules in place, it doesn't mean that the businesses will follow them. The regulators (NCAA) need to establish better rules and come down hard (fines/loss of scholarishps) on the ones that abuse them. However, the media checks are clearing so they (NCAA) could careless.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Isn’t that what is happening now and why so many are upset with Deion?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

The problem a lot of these recommendations are going to run into, in my opinion, is that any rules that make it harder on players to sign NIL deals or transfer are probably going to end up in the courts. After the last court case, I don’t think the schools or NCAA are going to be excited about leaving this stuff to the courts to decide.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Personally I would rather have the version where schools and players agree to how many years (between 1 and 4) the players get a guaranteed scholly. Then players cannot transfer and play elsewhere during that time and coaches cannot cut them. In an ideal world their scholarship would also not free up again towards the limit even if they do leave / get pushed out. That would stop coaches from pushing players out. Everybody would know where they are at, and it would still be a free market. Some players may prefer a 4 year scholly at a less powerfull (sportswise) school over the 2 year offer, while others may only want one year to then jump (i.e. betting on themselves but not betting on their school).

Alas even that (same as El Paso eagles proposition above) is probably tricky to get past the courts, even if you still allow NIL along with it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Isn’t that what is happening now and why so many are upset with Deion?

I did not care for how he was doing it (releasing videos of meetings that probably should have been kept private), but I am changing my mind about cutting players based on how players are walking away. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I did not care for how he was doing it (releasing videos of meetings that probably should have been kept private), but I am changing my mind about cutting players based on how players are walking away. 

I agree completely.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 4/29/2023 at 4:17 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

Its is going to take a decade of winning. I also think having a charismatic coach is going to help as well. This is not the same Athletic Department that was there a decade ago. I think Wren and Jared have assemble a young hungry group that sees North Texas potential. I am not going to judge on past mistakes. 

Well if this is the case, then we should see much more money in terms of donors giving.  We certainly have not seen it reflected yet in the NIL collective.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Just caught this little nugget... 

Players that are legitimately playing at their dream school don't leave, period. I'm not sure how one would be so gullible to take that at face value then repeat it. 

itś called a dream...and when you fulfill that dream, you move to another dream.  not hard to understand.

i have had mulitple dreams in my life.   he probably does too.  guess you do not so you are stuck chasing your one dream

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Everything is changed. Rooting has changed. Can’t get connected to any player anymore. I loved my boys when they were little saying “Mason Fine is the best QB ever” and I loved Patrick Cobbs and Booger Kennedy and had a connection to them. 

Those days are gone. I can’t even follow recruiting anymore. What difference does it make. 

When the first game happens in early September, I’ll root for the 22 out there in our uniform. Who cares who the individuals are. it goes both ways. Shorter, Nixon…..I can’t really care about you as people. I mean I hope you find what you’re looking for. But don’t care about you….anymore than I care for any other college player that plays anywhere but Denton.  I root for North Texas. 

kind of sad but that’s where we are. Gotta adjust what it means to be a fan. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Everything is changed. Rooting has changed. Can’t get connected to any player anymore. I loved my boys when they were little saying “Mason Fine is the best QB ever” and I loved Patrick Cobbs and Booger Kennedy and had a connection to them. 

Those days are gone. I can’t even follow recruiting anymore. What difference does it make. 

When the first game happens in early September, I’ll root for the 22 out there in our uniform. Who cares who the individuals are. it goes both ways. Shorter, Nixon…..I can’t really care about you as people. I mean I hope you find what you’re looking for. But don’t care about you….anymore than I care for any other college player that plays anywhere but Denton.  I root for North Texas. 

For all of us worried about building a fanbase and increasing attendance, let me ask this. How much harder will it be now with players coming and going? If your teams have no loyalty to the school, why should fans, and worse other students?

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For all of us worried about building a fanbase and increasing attendance, let me ask this. How much harder will it be now with players coming and going? If your teams have no loyalty to the school, why should fans, and worse other students?

I don’t think we’re going through anything other schools aren’t going through. 

I have loyalty to NT. Coaches have to navigate this new world and make the best of it. Hopefully they win 

• Upvote 2

With this NIL going on and the way college sports is now, they should treat it like the military. You sign that contract and you are tied to that school. You don't get to leave the Army after one year and transfer to the Marine Corps. You are contracted to the Army for those four years. Of course the Army has to pay you for those four years. We pay them in the form of scholarships. The only guys I can see being allowed to transfer are non scholarship players. If you want to transfer as a grad transfer, I am cool, but that needs to be put in writing within 30 days of the season ending your last season.

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 2

This is how a Tre Siggers goes from being a potential superstar at an FBS school to a school that kicks him to the curb as soon as a better deal comes along to a little FCS school where he’ll eventually never be heard of again. 

It’s just the truth. Goes both ways. It’s  gonna get worse and the players will end up in worse shape long term. Be careful what you ask for. You want to use the system great but the system will eventually use you. 

• Upvote 7

Y'all are crazy. You should be benefiting from the easy transfers far more than you are losing, even without a strong NIL program. There are a billion players sitting #2 on the depth chart at better programs who will transfer to get playing time.  Go look at the portal history of the best G5 programs. And most of them don't have more NIL available than you should be able to pull together. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Y'all are crazy. You should be benefiting from the easy transfers far more than you are losing, even without a strong NIL program. There are a billion players sitting #2 on the depth chart at better programs who will transfer to get playing time.  Go look at the portal history of the best G5 programs. And most of them don't have more NIL available than you should be able to pull together. 

I hate to agree here but he’s right. 

the P5 back up to G5 should be a no brainer. The G5 starter to P5 doesn’t seem like it works out for the player. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

IMG_0949.gif.39f1bbf84bfae7bdb148213f486434eb.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

As much as I hate to admit it, he is right.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

As soon as coaches and schools decided they would just buy their way out of any contract, you had to know the day was coming for athletes to do the same. Why have a higher standard for athletes than the schools and coaches they play for?

So are you saying there should be a buyout clause in Football scholarships? I like it. If a player leaves, they or the new school owe UNT money; if we cut them, we pay.

13 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So are you saying there should be a buyout clause in Football scholarships? I like it. If a player leaves, they or the new school owe UNT money; if we cut them, we pay.

If schools start signing players to more than 1 year at a time, I think it should be on the table. Right now (in the 1 year scholarship world) what would you even be buying out?

• Upvote 1