Breaking News: Jyaire Shorter and Larry Nixon Both Enter Transfer Portal

Uncle

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Breaking News: Jyaire Shorter and Larry Nixon Both Enter Transfer Portal

Well this sucks ass. More worried about the loss of Nixon than Shorter. We need that leadership on defense.

I am hopeful, however, that Morris and staff have a contingency plan in place. Luckily I feel like they get recruiting now better than Littrell so there’s some silver lining.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

44 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I just wish we went through these inevitable new coach challenges last season instead this season.   Transfer portal loses and gains are particularly hard to nagivate for new G5 head coaches without successful runs at a P5 on their resume.  

I do think last year would have been more ideal for coaching change. I disagree with a coach needing P5 on their resume. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

🎯 Shorter is going to get a good amount of money where ever he goes. His explosiveness and play making ability will be missed.

Nixon is only a big loss because he had a lot of experience and leadership, other than that it’s not as significant.

Morris is building toward the future y’all, we need to let him build with his guys and see what happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

51 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I do think last year would have been more ideal for coaching change. I disagree with a coach needing P5 on their resume. 

I am not the one who eyerolled your comment but I didn't suggest P5 head coaching experience is a requirement for success here.  But the bigger the named coach coming to a struggling G5 program the better they will be able to retain talent and gain talent through the portal.  That is why if you aren't prepared to overpay a big name to come coach a program stepping up to tougher competition, you shouldn't retain a 90% lame duck coach (base on performance) for the last season in a lower conference.  If we weren't stepping up to the AAC till 2024 or 2025, I wouldn't have been so upset with them retaining Seth for 2022.  Under those circumstances giving Seth an opportunity to save his job would had been fair for all parties and not hurting fans, athletes, and coaches already committed to the program.  Maybe coach Morris can overcome all this.  But far too often poor leadership puts head football coaches at unnecessary disadvantages and we are far too critical of those coaches imo.  Seth was probably the first fairly paid coach and supported given way too much rope to hang himself here to the detriment of the program. 

The overall point is that I can't be mad at any of these players for leaving.   If I weren't an alumni I would hang up my football fan hat and focus on only the other D1 sports our school sponsors. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I am not the one who eyerolled your comment but I didn't suggest P5 head coaching experience is a requirement for success here.  But the bigger the named coach coming to a struggling G5 program the better they will be able to retain talent and gain talent through the portal.  That is why if you aren't prepared to overpay a big name to come coach a program stepping up to tougher competition, you shouldn't retain a 90% lame duck coach (base on performance) for the last season in a lower conference.  If we weren't stepping up to the AAC till 2024 or 2025, I wouldn't have been so upset with them retaining Seth for 2022.  Under those circumstances giving Seth an opportunity to save his job would had been fair for all parties and not hurting fans, athletes, and coaches already committed to the program.  Maybe coach Morris can overcome all this.  But far too often poor leadership puts head football coaches at unnecessary disadvantages and we are far too critical of those coaches imo.  Seth was probably the first fairly paid coach and supported given way too much rope to hang himself here to the detriment of the program. 

The overall point is that I can't be mad at any of these players for leaving.   If I weren't an alumni I would hang up my football fan hat and focus on only the other D1 sports our school sponsors. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I def think seth should have been canned when we were 1-6. We are in a completly different spot at this point. That is 100% on wren not having juevos.. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

16 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I know I said you gotta get used to rooting for the shirt only and expect this kind of crap to happen…but it freaking sucks.

Screw college sports right now.  Like actually Eff off.

Ditto. I feel the same way. Is there anything that can be done to change this?

• Upvote 1