T5 wishes going into 2023

greenminer

20 minutes ago, greenminer said:

In no particular order...

1) Win 7+ games.  If we are challenging for a conference 'ship, that would make me very happy for the long term.

That seems possible no?

2) Find a QB.  Directly tied to the success of #1

I agree but not sure we have found what we are looking for yet.

3) Jyaire Shorter (sp?).  I pray to football Jesus this guy gets a full year.  What a weapon, historically limited by awful injuries.  He has remained loyal to us.

100%

4) Apogee sellout

I know some will question me but I think Cal could be the one.

5) Defensive identity and leadership.  Playmakers need to emerge.  Cohesiveness/togetherness is a must.  I always liked what McCasland said: Believe.  Serve.  Compete.  Can I wish for that here?

I disagree here.  Morris is an offensive first coach for the most part.  I do think he will instill cohesiveness and togetherness at a very high level.  Perhaps higher than Mac who could be very critical of his players.

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

1) Win 7+ games.  If we are challenging for a conference 'ship, that would make me very happy for the long term.

3) Jyaire Shorter (sp?).  I pray to football Jesus this guy gets a full year.  What a weapon, historically limited by awful injuries.  He has remained loyal to us.

4) Apogee sellout

5) Defensive identity and leadership.  Playmakers need to emerge.  Cohesiveness/togetherness is a must.  I always liked what McCasland said: Believe.  Serve.  Compete.  Can I wish for that here?

1. Happened last season so we should expect more than 7.

2. This would be the bar for the new quarterback. 

2022: Third Team All-CUSA (Phil Steele) … Honorable Mention All-CUSA (Coaches, PFN) … Burlsworth Trophy Nominee … HM Tyler Rose Player of the Week (9/13, 10/31, 11/7) … Manning Award Star of the Week (11/7/22) … C-USA Offensive Player of the Week (8/29/22) … started all 14 games at quarterback for UNT … threw for 3547 yards and 33 touchdowns on the year … finished first in Division I with 15.29 passing yards per completion … set a single-season school record with 33 passing touchdowns 

3. That pretty much happened last season. He only missed trip to UTEP as a precaution. 

2022: Honorable Mention All-CUSA (Coaches) … Comeback Player of the Year Semi-Finalist … PFF National Team of the Week (9/24/22) … Played in 13 games with 11 starts

4. That would be amazing but it hasn’t happened in the 12 years Apogee has existed so I wouldn’t get my hopes up unless we go on a 2018-level run to start the season. 

5. We had playmakers last season. These are the ones returning 

2022: First Team All-CUSA (PFF) … Second Team All-CUSA (Coaches, PFN, Phil Steele) … DCTF Second Team All-Texas College 

2022: Played in 14 games with 12 starts … First Team All-CUSA (Coaches, PFN) … Third Team All-CUSA (PFF, Phil Steele) … PFN Cornerback of the Year … C-USA Defensive Player of the Week (10/3/22) 

2022: First Team All-CUSA (PFN) … Fourth Team All-CUSA (Phil Steele) … DCTF Second Team All-Texas College

2022: Second Team All-CUSA (PFN) 

2022: Played in 14 games with 11 starts … Conference USA All-Freshman team 

2022: Honorable mention All-CUSA (Coaches) … named C-USA Defensive Player of the Week (10/31/22) 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@Cr1028 do you feel like I'm attacking the accomplishments of last season and you feel a need to defend them?  Getting some weird vibes out of your post.

1. Happened last season so we should expect more than 7.

How often does a new coach inherit a bowl team and win more than 7 games? That's probably more appropriate.  Bonus for filtering through results and looking at the new regimes that share the same tree as the previous staff.

4. That would be amazing but it hasn’t happened in the 12 years Apogee has existed so I wouldn’t get my hopes up unless we go on a 2018-level run to start the season.

I don't care of it's not likely.  I want a sellout.  We all should, and we should all be vocal about it.

This list wasn't necessarily specific to expectations or realistic goals.   This is a wishlist.  It's what I want/would like to see.

Our defense was blasted in some big games.  Root for better, friends.  I would like to see more consistency.  Leadership guys like Trice should not be in Denton once in a generation.  Am I wrong?  Seems like the great programs have 1 or 2 guys like that on the field every year.

3. That pretty much happened last season. He only missed trip to UTEP as a precaution. 

correct. My statement and wish still stands.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

@Cr1028 do you feel like I'm attacking the accomplishments of last season and you feel a need to defend them?  Getting some weird vibes out of your post.

I feel many around here either attack, dismiss, or forget the accomplishments of our former staff. I wasn’t completely convinced Littrell needed to go but I like what I’ve seen of Morris so far mostly because of his energy level. I want Morris to prove that Littrell really was the problem by getting above the .500/bowl appearance/every4 year title appearance hump. I don’t want stagnation and dang sure don’t want regression so for me 2022 is the floor and 2023 absolutely needs to be better.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I feel many around here either attack, dismiss, or forget the accomplishments of our former staff. I wasn’t completely convinced Littrell needed to go but I like what I’ve seen of Morris so far mostly because of his energy level. I want Morris to prove that Littrell really was the problem by getting above the .500/bowl appearance/every4 year title appearance hump. I don’t want stagnation and dang sure don’t want regression so for me 2022 is the floor and 2023 absolutely needs to be better.

The argument there would be that’s in Year 7 of a program in Conference USA vs Year 1 of a new program in a better conference.  I agree in the expectations of 7+ wins but I think it’s important to point out that distinction here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

The argument there would be that’s in Year 7 of a program in Conference USA vs Year 1 of a new program in a better conference.  I agree in the expectations of 7+ wins but I think it’s important to point out that distinction here. 

We beat 3 and lost to 4 of the teams on this season’s schedule. The other opponents are Cal (4-8 last year), ACU (FCS), Navy (4-8 last year), Temple (3-9 last year), Tulane (fantastic last year), and Tulsa (5-7 last year). I fail to see the major hurdle outside of Tulane. Don’t be giving Morris a crutch before he has even coached a game.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

We beat 3 and lost to 4 of the teams on this season’s schedule. The other opponents are Cal (4-8 last year), ACU (FCS), Navy (4-8 last year), Temple (3-9 last year), Tulane (fantastic last year), and Tulsa (5-7 last year). I fail to see the major hurdle outside of Tulane. Don’t be giving Morris a crutch before he has even coached a game.

Lolz, okay bud.  Good luck to your heart this year.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:00 PM, Cr1028 said:

The records you shared were teams playing against higher competition.  (AAC > CUSA)  You didn’t include ACU because they played against lesser competition?  They were 7-4.  If we aren’t considering strength of schedule, is ACU a greater hurdle than Cal, Navy, Temple and Tulsa?

On 4/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, greenminer said:

4) Apogee sellout

I don't know about an AAC championship; that may be asking a little too much but I do believe that 7 wins are possible as well as an Apogee sellout if we are running neck and neck with UTSA.  But, if we don't get the sellout I'm thinking and hoping for an average of 25,000 for the season.  Sadly, one of your wishes won't come true.  Jyaire Shorter is in the Transfer Portal.  I think that the defense is going to take to this new formation big time.

• Upvote 1