GMG Report: Hearing Dane Jackson Headed to the Portal

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

This is deeply saddening news.  A starter on the oline?  And this late in the cycle? Wow what is going on up there?

Not starting and I don’t think he was in the two deep. I was always curious about him being a random recruit out of KY. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not starting and I don’t think he was in the two deep. I was always curious about him being a random recruit out of KY. 

I think Mainord coached his brother at Kentucky. JD probably knows better, but I think that was the connection.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think Colorado is up to 55 in the portal now? This includes guys Deion brought with him from Jackson State. I'm sure there will be plenty to choose from to fill in roster spots if needed.

You have to wonder when the NCAA modified the rule to allow additional signings up to the 85 limits if they even imagined that someone would take it to this extreme in a worst-case scenario. I wonder if there will be any changes coming up?

I wonder if his size played a role in not making the 2 deep. I mean look at Jett Duncan. He started every game at right tackle last year and is now at center.

All of our lineman outside of Daizion Carroll are 6'2" plus. This staff might be valuing that length/frame more than Littrell's

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You have to wonder when the NCAA modified the rule to allow additional signings up to the 85 limits if they even imagined that someone would take it to this extreme in a worst-case scenario. I wonder if there will be any changes coming up?

It's a business now. Until the 2023 season starts in a few months, Deion and the circus in Boulder will continue to demand media coverage. I'm sure the powers don't mind that at all even at the expense of kids trying to parlay years of work into a free education. If he succeeds, there won't be any changes. It's a damn shame. I'm all for kids transferring and coaches having more control over their rosters but the way Deion is doing things is just plain wrong.

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm all for kids transferring and coaches having more control over their rosters but the way Deion is doing things is just plain wrong.

Preach!!!!  I can’t believe there are those who defend the way he’s going things.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's a business now. Until the 2023 season starts in a few months, Deion and the circus in Boulder will continue to demand media coverage. I'm sure the powers don't mind that at all even at the expense of kids trying to parlay years of work into a free education. If he succeeds, there won't be any changes. It's a damn shame. I'm all for kids transferring and coaches having more control over their rosters but the way Deion is doing things is just plain wrong.

I agree with you.  He is treating these young men like cattle.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

All of our lineman outside of Daizion Carroll are 6'2" plus. This staff might be valuing that length/frame more than Littrell's

I seem to recall Coach Littrell saying he wasn't worried about recruiting grades or size.  He felt like his group of coaches would be able to "coach them up."

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

Preach!!!!  I can’t believe there are those who defend the way he’s going things.  

Well hold on now, it is ok for kids to leave rosters to chase $$ and leave gaps in the depth chart at inopportune recruiting times but not ok for coaches to take advantage of that same system? This is the new college athletics. Good players will be bought off by the highest bidders and unsuccessful players will be sent off to look for success elsewhere.  You are telling me if you were coaching here, it wouldn’t bother you at all to have a Josh Greer type occupying one of your scholarships for 4 years while knowing he will never make a meaningful positive impact on your football program?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Well hold on now, it is ok for kids to leave rosters to chase $$ and leave gaps in the depth chart at inopportune recruiting times but not ok for coaches to take advantage of that same system?

I was thinking the same thing. If it's okay for the players to walk away, why shouldn't the coach be able to release them? I would prefer that if coaches are cutting them, it should be before the Spring semester starts or within 30 days of hiring a new head coach.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Well hold on now, it is ok for kids to leave rosters to chase $$ and leave gaps in the depth chart at inopportune recruiting times but not ok for coaches to take advantage of that same system? This is the new college athletics. Good players will be bought off by the highest bidders and unsuccessful players will be sent off to look for success elsewhere.  You are telling me if you were coaching here, it wouldn’t bother you at all to have a Josh Greer type occupying one of your scholarships for 4 years while knowing he will never make a meaningful positive impact on your football program?

The way he’s doing it is wrong.  I have no doubt that Coach Morris has had hard conversations with kids about where they fit in at UNT moving forward.  Couple of big differences:  1) He didn’t come here during his first meeting with the team telling players they needed to leave…and filming it to be broadcast.  2) He had these conversations after being here and having a chance to get to know the players and seeing where they might fit in…and he did it behind closed doors.

I’m anti-portal for the most part.  Bottom line is there seems to be very few rules regarding the portal.  

Good Lord what a hypothetical you threw out there.  I’ll have Josh Greer nightmares tonight.🤣🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You are telling me if you were coaching here, it wouldn’t bother you at all to have a Josh Greer type occupying one of your scholarships for 4 years while knowing he will never make a meaningful positive impact on your football program?

I even forgot who Josh Greer is or was?

• 2 weeks later...