Mean Green land new kicker Mikaeli Nguma

He was on the preferred walk on list, I am wondering if he got a scholarship offer due to the kicking struggles this spring. Here is what I wrote about him a few months ago.

Mikaeli Nguma Sharyland HS (Mission, Tx) 5’10 150 K/P

Mikaeli has a strong leg. I’m not sure if they will use him as a kicker or punter. He had a career long field goal of 53 yards as a Junior. He received walk on offers from McNeese State, UTEP, and North Texas.

2022 Stats: 45/46 PAT 11/17 FGs Long Distance of 44; 36 Punts 38 yard average Long Distance of 56 yards;14 were within the 20 yard line

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Was the spring game kicker on scholarship too?   Plus the BU transfer coming in on scholarship?  

Spring kicker isn’t but why sign a high school kid if we have a transfer coming in? Vito said he will have a story on it so I guess we will see. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Spring kicker isn’t but why sign a high school kid if we have a transfer coming in? Vito said he will have a story on it so I guess we will see. 

I think Vito said he was a preferred walk on as well. I haven't seen an official announcement from the team either.

• Upvote 1

It appears that he will be our punter for sure.  Sawyer Evans was released.  I am a little confused... wasn't Nguma also on a video where they said that he was the #8 kicker in the country?  I thought that he didn't sign then because he wasn't offered a scholarship.  Now, I think that it's possible because he likely may become both the kicker and the punter and Rauschenberg might be just handling kickoffs as he did at Baylor.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

It appears that he will be our punter for sure.  Sawyer Evans was released.  I am a little confused... wasn't Nguma also on a video where they said that he was the #8 kicker in the country?  I thought that he didn't sign then because he wasn't offered a scholarship.  Now, I think that it's possible because he likely may become both the kicker and the punter and Rauschenberg might be just handling kickoffs as he did at Baylor.

Remind me who Sawyer Evans was?   The spring game kicker or punter?   So, how many kickers will we have on scholarship when they all show up?   I'm a little concerned with a high school kicker showing up to fall camp and expected to be our main FBS kicker and punter with just 3 weeks of practice. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2023 at 8:25 PM, NT80 said:

Remind me who Sawyer Evans was?   The spring game kicker or punter?   So, how many kickers will we have on scholarship when they all show up?   I'm a little concerned with a high school kicker showing up to fall camp and expected to be our main FBS kicker and punter with just 3 weeks of practice. 

Sawyer was a punter (the only one) on the spring roster.  He was not on scholarship but he was the punter at Texas Southern who I believe was a walk-on or PWO for this spring.  He was pretty impressive when we played them.

Edit:  Evans is still on the squad as a non-scholarship walk-on.  He is just a punter; not a kicker.  Not sure how, or if, he'll be used.

Edited by GrayEagle

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

My bad about the video.  I remember that the #8 kicker in the country was a kicker  from Lawton, Oklahoma.  There was some similarity in their names.