Grant Gunnell Enters Portal

TheReal_jayD

50 minutes ago, untbowler said:

bye, hope the grass is greener the 4th time. 

Poor advice being given to him

37 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Saw this coming from a mile away. His dad probably got on his ear again 

How do we know he wasn’t asked to leave to free up a scholarship?

• Upvote 7

49 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Because I'd bet you a nice shiny dollar Gunnell would air that out about a coach that he has no real loyalty to. 

And that Morris isn't that type of coach. They may wish it so, but coaches don't go "asking guys to clear up scholarship space." They take them off scholarship. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

4 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

Because I'd bet you a nice shiny dollar Gunnell would air that out about a coach that he has no real loyalty to. 

And that Morris isn't that type of coach. They may wish it so, but coaches don't go "asking guys to clear up scholarship space." They take them off scholarship. 

I don't believe Coach Morris would do it, but some would....

Coach Prime told players when he arrived at Colorado, in his intro meeting with them, to "hit the portal".  Some left then, but in just the last 9 days 28 CU players have entered the portal, including the star receiver from the recent spring game, lol.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/36280712/montana-lemonious-craig-4-colorado-players-enter-portal

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, NT80 said:

Coach Prime told players when he arrived at Colorado, in his intro meeting with them, to "hit the portal".  Some left then, but in just the last 9 days 28 CU players have entered the portal, including the star receiver from the recent spring game, lol.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/36280712/montana-lemonious-craig-4-colorado-players-enter-portal

Lol, it’s clear you have an axe to grind and Deion makes you BIG MAD. I remember back in December, you predicted Deion was in for a culture shock at Colorado. Since then…

“Sanders has indeed added players through the portal, with 247Sports ranking Colorado's class as the best in college football this season. It features several Jackson State transfers, including former No. 1 overall player Travis Hunter, and Alabama linebacker Demouy Kennedy, a fringe five-star recruit from the Class of 2020.”

In less than 6 months, the “Prime Effect” has shocked Colorado out of their complacency. CU just sold out their 2023 home games the first time in 27 years and last week they sold out their spring game. Deion has turned CU Football into a must-see event attracting recruits, fans, donors, and of course… a few haters.

Like it or not, none of this would have happened without Deion. He’s not worried about losing players to the portal because, as you’ve pointed out on numerous occasions, he encouraged it.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

16 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Basically making cuts after the spring game is going to be in the standard for College Football. Sanders has stated, before spring game the players make the decision, after the game he will have a greater influence on the decision. I believe a lot of coaches are also doing the same, as usual Sanders is more vocal.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, C Rod said:

Lol, it’s clear you have an axe to grind and Deion makes you BIG MAD. I remember back in December, you predicted Deion was in for a culture shock at Colorado. Since then…

“Sanders has indeed added players through the portal, with 247Sports ranking Colorado's class as the best in college football this season. It features several Jackson State transfers, including former No. 1 overall player Travis Hunter, and Alabama linebacker Demouy Kennedy, a fringe five-star recruit from the Class of 2020.”

In less than 6 months, the “Prime Effect” has shocked Colorado out of their complacency. CU just sold out their 2023 home games the first time in 27 years and last week they sold out their spring game. Deion has turned CU Football into a must-see event attracting recruits, fans, donors, and of course… a few haters.

Like it or not, none of this would have happened without Deion. He’s not worried about losing players to the portal because, as you’ve pointed out on numerous occasions, he encouraged it.

Not just that, his son produces YouTube videos every day that get a ton of views. He has 285,000 followers on YouTube. His videos average 250-500k views. Like it or not, Deion is here and changing the game.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

What purpose would Gunnell saying he was asked to leave serve? His dad would be the mouthpiece anyhow. The only thing I recall Gunnell saying is that he wouldn’t be transferring again, yet new coach and here we are.

15 hours ago, NT80 said:

I believe he would. He wouldn’t do it in a cruel manner but would simply say something like “we feel you’d be better served at another university”. I imagine that is why Coach Gary is helping Johnson find a new home. Free up a roster spot while also having the player’s best interest in mind.

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

Lol, he added his son as QB and his son's friends.  Deion doesn't actually coach you know, he leaves that work for his assistants.  Neon is just the new Col. Parker of the Elvis Show.   CU hasn't won anything yet with his "Entertainers".  It's all marketing.   Let's see how marketing plays against P5 teams.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

On 4/24/2023 at 3:24 PM, NT80 said:

Actually, what Prime did is exactly the norm across this entire sport, you just don’t usually have it broadcast with a continuously running camera crew as he does. There were a lot in the coaching and media world that were impressed with the transparency and candor therein.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Actually, what Prime did is exactly the norm across this entire sport, you just don’t usually have it broadcast with a continuously running camera crew as he does. There were a lot in the coaching and media world that were impressed with the transparency and candor therein.

You do realize that most of the players innthe portal never find a home.  He wasn’t doing them any favors.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Unless Grant gets his injured leg completely rehabbed he won't play again at the Division 1 level and possibly not at any level.  I really feel bad for him.  I had hoped that he would have been able to do that here but it's obvious that he is a shadow of his former self.  I hope that he can sit out a year, rehab the leg and hit the portal next year with video improvement in tow.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

You do realize that most of the players innthe portal never find a home.  He wasn’t doing them any favors.

Absolutely, and neither does almost every other coaching staff that does this. I’m just pointing out the slant when it’s “oh look at flashy Prime” doing something that’s absolutely standard practice.

Which makes things like what our coaches are doing for that grad transfer DLineman Johnson a pleasant surprise.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Absolutely, and neither does almost every other coaching staff that does this. I’m just pointing out the slant when it’s “oh look at flashy Prime” doing something that’s absolutely standard practice.

Which makes things like what our coaches are doing for that grad transfer DLineman Johnson a pleasant surprise.

I'm sure it goes on many places, probably in a coaching office, not with a camera pointed at kids faces to see their reactions being told to leave the program.   "flashy Prime" wanted it filmed and televised, because that's what his show is all about...being a show.  It's not classy.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I'm sure it goes on many places, probably in a coaching office, not with a camera pointed at kids faces to see their reactions being told to leave the program.   "flashy Prime" wanted it filmed and televised, because that's what his show is all about...being a show.  It's not classy.

Never said it was classy. Did say it was honest and truer to how collegiate sports operates; that of an entertainment business in most every respect except that it clings to a false veneer of something more noble or loyal because College™. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

In the back of my mind, I have wanted to believe what you're saying, but then I saw this.  I don't think I'm seeing these kind of numbers anywhere else.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4