Coach Morris Post Spring Game Interview

TheReal_jayD

7 hours ago, Chuck4334 said:

Shorter did not play.

I don’t think Shorter has participated at all this spring. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember this being reported due to injury. I hope he has at least been in position meetings and Kaiser not participating in actual practices. I think he was misused by the previous staff where it was basically go long and nothing else. Too much talent to not fully utilize him. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Well other than completion percentage (which apparently is the main driver here) his stats (other than rushing obviously) are similar or worse than Austin Aune’s who was the bane to many of our fans existence. He led his team to a 4-8 record despite that amazing completion percentage so many are high on. Makes no sense other than the typical guaranteed gig if you transfer.

I think the only guarantee given transfers is they will be given a shot.  Aune transferred from Arkansas and was put behind Fine and Bean.  Then Ruder transferred in and was given a few starts before Aune took over the starting job.  I expect Morris to give the best producer in Fall camp the job until it isn't working, like most coaches would do.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Because our insider has said it has been his job to lose from the start despite the fantastic play of Ruder and Earle this spring.

Them having a good spring doesn’t mean Rogers didn’t have a good spring. I promise coaches will role with who they think gives them the best shot at winning. Unlike us, they see them everyday.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Well other than completion percentage (which apparently is the main driver here) his stats (other than rushing obviously) are similar or worse than Austin Aune’s who was the bane to many of our fans existence. He led his team to a 4-8 record despite that amazing completion percentage so many are high on. Makes no sense other than the typical guaranteed gig if you transfer.

Honestly, that's a fair response.  And I feel Aune was overly criticized for not being Mason Fine.  But he wasn't as consistently accurate as I would prefer, and I believe Rogers is an upgrade in that department.  I don't necessarily need a QB to carry the offense on his shoulders, but I need one who can keep drives alive.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Honestly, that's a fair response.  And I feel Aune was overly criticized for not being Mason Fine.  But he wasn't as consistently accurate as I would prefer, and I believe Rogers is an upgrade in that department.  I don't necessarily need a QB to carry the offense on his shoulders, but I need one who can keep drives alive.

It is true Aune didn’t complete as high a percentage as Rogers did but despite that, Aune averaged more than a yard per attempt more on his passes than Rogers.

Additionally, their touchdown to interception ratio was almost identical with Aune being a hair better. 

Rogers might be great but I just hate when we hand transfers the job just because they are transfers or what they did at some other school.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

It is true Aune didn’t complete as high a percentage as Rogers did but despite that, Aune averaged more than a yard per attempt more on his passes than Rogers.

Additionally, their touchdown to interception ratio was almost identical with Aune being a hair better. 

Rogers might be great but I just hate when we hand transfers the job just because they are transfers or what they did at some other school.

Rogers isn’t getting handed the job… he earned it well on Saturday, if that’s what it came to. It’s also April, there is still a few months until fall camp and maybe something changes.

From the scrimmages and practices I’ve watched this spring, I think Rogers has edged out Earle and Ruder. But it’s nice to know we have good talent behind just in case.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

I think a lot of people are assuming Ruder has turned a corner just based on him looking good in a few controlled scrimmages. Let's remember, he looked great in fall camp of 2021 and won the starting job. But once the bright lights came on he played like crap. Compare that to Rogers, who has a lot of solid game tape, while playing on a really bad team. IMO, their prior on-field performance plays a bigger role in who starts next year than most realize. 

Unless he completely shit the bed, I don't think Rogers was ever going to lose the job. Though it does make me feel a lot better that he came out and all but ended the competition on Saturday.  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

What makes you feel so confident about this? I’ve seen enough in Apogee alone to know it isn’t always the case.

I just don't believe coaches are intentionally playing guys they don't think give them the best shot at winning. In all of this coaches and ADs are the only ones with their job on the line every game. You may disagree with who they played, but I don't think they intentionally said, "This guy gives us a better chance at winning, but we should play this other guy."

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think a lot of people are assuming Ruder has turned a corner just based on him looking good in a few controlled scrimmages. Let's remember, he looked great in fall camp of 2021 and won the starting job. But once the bright lights came on he played like crap. Compare that to Rogers, who has a lot of solid game tape, while playing on a really bad team. IMO, their prior on-field performance plays a bigger role in who starts next year than most realize. 

Unless he completely shit the bed, I don't think Rogers was ever going to lose the job. Though it does make me feel a lot better that he came out and all but ended the competition on Saturday.  

Riley Dodge had solid game tape while playing on a really bad team too. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

And won’t until fall ball, wanted to recover fully and be ready for the summer workouts.

Exactly. This seems to be the historic pattern for Shorter. No spring ball, and then work through the summer to get ready for fall camp. Excited to see what he, Trey Cleveland, Maclin, Horton, and Burns can do in this offense!

• Upvote 3