No more clock stopping on 1st downs?

El Paso Eagle

The vote is expected to pass today

Also - 

• Teams be prohibited from calling consecutive timeouts
  • Penalties at the end of the first and third quarters are enforced on the first play of the next quarter.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-transfer-quarterback-tiers-playoff-hopefuls-breakout-candidates-and-more-in-2023-season/

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If your team is ahead, you will like it, but if they are behind, it will probably make comebacks a little harder

It'll be similar to the pros....except one big difference: Pros have the two-minute warning. 

7 hours ago, NT93 said:

I don’t think I’m going to be a fan of this rule.  I always preferred the college rule to the NFL rule.  

This rule change will still stop the clock on first downs only in the last 2 minutes of each half.

Edited by NT80
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Why? There's no reason to stop the clock outside the last few minutes of each half. All it does is make the game longer. 

“The Drive” doesn’t happen under this rule.

Edited by NT93
Deleted incorrect info

6 minutes ago, NT93 said:

“The Drive” doesn’t happen under this rules.  

If I’m watching a game that is is effected by this rule, it’s a great game and I want it to last longer.

Yes it does because the clock stops in the last 2 minutes. And even if it didn’t the drive still would have happened. We got out of bounds on both first downs. Nothing would have been different. 

And if you think games dragging past 3:30 hours is great then we’re going to have to agree to disagree. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Yes it does because the clock stops in the last 2 minutes. And even if it didn’t the drive still would have happened. We got out of bounds on both first downs. Nothing would have been different. 

And if you think games dragging past 3:30 hours is great then we’re going to have to agree to disagree. 

I edited my post regarding the part about it extending “great” games.  I misspoke because all games would be extended, not just close ones.  

I’ll defer to you regarding “The Drive.”  I thought/assumed we benefited from a stopped clock after a first down.  Even more incredible if we didn’t.

I agree with you that 3:30 games are too long in general.  

Final point, and I’m sure many will disagree, but I’m not a fan of different rules at different points in the game.  If the rules are the same for the entire game, the final 2 minutes might not matter.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I’d also like them to put a time limit on instant replay reviews. If it takes more than a minute or two to decide one way or the other, the call on the field should stand.

This.  This.  This.

9 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I’d also like them to put a time limit on instant replay reviews. If it takes more than a minute or two to decide one way or the other, the call on the field should stand.

I’d rather them take whatever time they need to get it right

my 0.02: let this new clock stoppage rule play out. I imagine it could shorten them game a lot, and you won’t feel the need to squeeze out extra minutes from play reviews.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I’d rather them take whatever time they need to get it right

my 0.02: let this new clock stoppage rule play out. I imagine it could shorten them game a lot, and you won’t feel the need to squeeze out extra minutes from play reviews.

My big issue is that they spend extra time and still get it wrong.

My opinion is that instant replay wasn't designed to break down film frame by frame to get the "correct" call.  It was designed to be able to correct an obvious wrong call.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

My big issue is that they spend extra time and still get it wrong.

Sure, but that's so rare, I don't think it's extending games into unreasonable lengths.

My opinion is that instant replay wasn't designed to break down film frame by frame to get the "correct" call.  It was designed to be able to correct an obvious wrong call.  

100%.  You might even say, the video review is unnecessary.  Just the stoppage, so that refs can discuss and be given an opportunity to reverse the wrong call.

Edited by greenminer

28 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Sure, but that's so rare, I don't think it's extending games regularly into unreasonable lengths.

I don’t know that it’s extending games into unreasonable lengths, but it causes my blood pressure to rise🤣🤣 It’s odd, because I’m really a very laid-back person that doesn’t let much bother me.  But instant replay in college football…my gosh it drives me nuts.

On 4/21/2023 at 7:25 PM, meanrob said:

I read somewhere this would be the case 

Clock changes: The NCAA approved three changes today Ross Dellenger reports. The clock will not stop after a first down is gained except inside of two minutes in either half. Further, penalties occurring at the end of the first or third quarter will now be affected on the 1st play of the 2nd or 4th quarter and teams can no longer call consecutive timeouts. These rule changes affect Divisions I and II;

• Upvote 1