Interesting Tweet From AAC Fansite....Telling UTSA To Step Up (facilities)

SUMG

Good find.  I have been preaching this for some time, UTSA will always have a big flaw that they will not ever overcome which is they are a satellite campus for the flagship of UT in Austin.  Any major donors who might be interested in supporting UTSA (very few) will always be encouraged to put their resources with the flagship.   Also, their contract with Traylor was way beyond what it should have been and now all of their other sports are struggling and cannot make any changes because they have no money.  Their facilities are a dump and they have to practice at high schools when the weather is inclimate or if the Alamodome is booked.  They have had some incredible luck and won some very close games primarily due to having QB Frank Harris (recruited by Wilson not Traylor btw) who seems to have had 10 years of eligibility. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

See I want to feel bad, but I can’t. Traylor decided, in his specs of his contract, to not take on recruiting folks in his staff and other things around their coaching tree. That’s not even mentioning they don’t pull in enough revenue from ticket sales and in general from sales within their poor athletic department to be able to fund more contract money and renovations on facilities. I just don’t understand how they have a higher season ticket numbers than us, but can’t fund buying out their horrible MBB coach. I mean we aren’t a rich school in any means, but it just doesn’t make sense.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

While I don't like UTSA, they are NOT a satellite campus of UT Austin. They are a separate university with a common governing board. There are lots of examples of this including Kansas and Kansas State, and UC Berkley and UCLA. 

UTSA is no different than UTA, except UTSA has football and UTA has a better basketball facility.  Otherwise they are both commuter schools with little fan support outside football.   I totally believe UTSA was only invited to the AAC because of location in San Antonio.  Certainly not because of facilities!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

On 4/21/2023 at 9:08 AM, SUMG said:

Rice, always seems to get a pass. But for the money they have.....they don't seem to put much into facilities either. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this....

You are correct but I think that it think that their expenditures have to do with the conference.  They have the money and I believe that they will spend more in the AAC than they did in CUSA.  Furthermore, if they get a P5 admittance, I believe that you will see even greater dollars poured into that conference.  It is a matter of audience.  The AAC attendance should be exponentially greater than was their CUSA attendance.  

They didn't update their facilities either.  I don't know if Rice has an IPF but if they don't you will likely see one built during AAC conference.  Rice will get a larger cut in a few years that they received while in CUSA.  Other facilities will get updates or at least a new coat of paint.  

Rice has almost doubled their student body from 4,000+ to 7,000+ so there will be greater interest and attendance in the coming years.  They will align with Tulane, SMU, Tulsa and Navy making a third of the conference non-state universities.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Rice, always seems to get a pass. But for the money they have.....they don't seem to put much into facilities either. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this....

I live close to Rice and have grown to love the university but frankly it makes no sense for them to play D1 football.  They have a tiny undergrad enrollment.  They need to focus on being the states “Ivy level” academic institution and sports is an outlier. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

You are correct but I think that it think that their expenditures have to do with the conference.  They have the money and I believe that they will spend more in the AAC than they did in CUSA.  Furthermore, if they get a P5 admittance, I believe that you will see even greater dollars poured into that conference.  It is a matter of audience.  The AAC attendance should be exponentially greater than was their CUSA attendance.  

They didn't update their facilities either.  I don't know if Rice has an IPF but if they don't you will likely see one built during AAC conference.  Rice will get a larger cut in a few years that they received while in CUSA.  Other facilities will get updates or at least a new coat of paint.  

Rice has almost doubled their student body from 4,000+ to 7,000+ so there will be greater interest and attendance in the coming years.  They will align with Tulane, SMU, Tulsa and Navy making a third of the conference non-state universities.

Rice has never really invested in athletics even during their SWC days. They have an inflatable bubble as an IPF. They have always done just enough to get by.  They aren’t changing their spots at this point. 99% of their students don’t care about athletics.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Man, you can see what is headed UTSA's way and it could be ugly. They seem to be a house of cards....they seriously have to keep winning 10+ games every year in football to keep what little credibility they have. What happens if they have back to back 6 win seasons? What if Traylor turns out to be a bust? They can't afford to buy him out. 

If there are 10 possible outcomes for UTSA in the coming years, it seems 8 of them are bad. What a risky situation.

UTSA is like a college athletics ponzi scheme....the crash is gonna be painful.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Man, you can see what is headed UTSA's way and it could be ugly. They seem to be a house of cards....they seriously have to keep winning 10+ games every year in football to keep what little credibility they have. What happens if they have back to back 6 win seasons? What if Traylor turns out to be a bust? They can't afford to buy him out. 

If there are 10 possible outcomes for UTSA in the coming years, it seems 8 of them are bad. What a risky situation.

And we will sit back and laugh when it does derail!

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

You're not wrong. Nothing screams awesome about any facility at Rice. I live in Houston and have watched soccer, baseball, basketball, and football.  Bsaeball was great 30 years ago, but it is good enough. The diamond dimensions are identical to all ncaa diamonds. Same with basketball. Soccer? it's just like all high school fields. Football? Rice stadium sucks compared to modern stadiums. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, LitMedallion said:

You're not wrong. Nothing screams awesome about any facility at Rice. I live in Houston and have watched soccer, baseball, basketball, and football.  Bsaeball was great 30 years ago, but it is good enough. The diamond dimensions are identical to all ncaa diamonds. Same with basketball. Soccer? it's just like all high school fields. Football? Rice stadium sucks compared to modern stadiums. 

The irony is Rice has one of the biggest endowments the nation, they just refuse to spend any of it on athletics.

• Upvote 2

On 4/24/2023 at 2:22 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

Interesting take. There's a saying, "give it the ol' college try". Seems fitting. 

Continual conference realignment really caught us off guard. We were supposed to stay FCS for 5 years, then look for an FBS home. We couldn't ignore the WAC offer when they came calling, but it disbanded after one year. Fortunately CUSA came calling, then the AAC. It's been a blur for a 13 year old program that services mostly lower socioeconomic peoples. 

UNT endowment 217.8M FY2020

UTSA endowment 277M FY2021

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I have no idea how endowments work: can they spend that money on athletics...directly?

I've always looked at endowments as a reflection of 2 things: 1) alumni success and, 2) alumni giving back.  I have no idea how it is used, like an account or something you can just pull money from.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LitMedallion said:

The Rice Administration seems to enjoy their status as irrelevant in sports.