UNT Helmet History

El Paso Eagle

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

It's still a ripoff of their idea.   They look too similar...and not a good look anyway, but the players seem to like it.   What do they know?, lol.

I mean ours is more unique and it fits us. We are eagles with wings, duck feathers are silly.  I think it was an idea that we developed into something cool, not as much as a ripoff. That would be Texas HS logos ripping off college logos.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

50 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Looks great.  I could support this!   

Fits well on the helmet; better than the SOW.

I just don’t like that interlocking NT. I feel like we should be using more eagle SOW/State of Texas or something logos than that. Creating and building a better brand that people will remember should be the goal 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I just don’t like that interlocking NT. I feel like we should be using more eagle SOW/State of Texas or something logos than that. Creating and building a better brand that people will remember should be the goal 

I don't think doubling down on a trend (TX Outline) is a way to build a better brand that stands out. It's an overused look that dozens and dozens of Texas high school and colleges use. I don't mind it as an alternative logo for merch, but we're leaning too hard on it, IMO. 

• Upvote 5

43 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don't think doubling down on a trend (TX Outline) is a way to build a better brand that stands out. It's an overused look that dozens and dozens of Texas high school and colleges use. I don't mind it as an alternative logo for merch, but we're leaning too hard on it, IMO. 

I couldn't agree more.  That's a cheap look + on helmets, the SOW inside the Texas shape is so small you can't tell what it is on TV or from the stands.

• Upvote 3

I think we can all agree the SOW needs to stick around as our primary logo. That said, we need something else to compliment it within our branding. We can't keep slapping the SOW on different things and calling it a different logo (I.E. TX outline, UNT script, North Texas script, etc.). As someone who loves the interlocking NT, here are some schools who use interlocking letters as a secondary logo. It can be done! 

Oregon State:

image.png.60cf0fd37a16a6f09e7f66959821106f.png

Florida State:

image.png.f1e0fa470751894475da7c3c2a10bfcc.png

Texas State:

image.png.46644de41d49451caa370a2ca8931d1d.png

Arizona State:

image.png.b1a4781eb29c03b1abdfcabe4b5e0bb7.png

South Carolina:

image.png.3e4de9f62343d93571f469d854205b88.png

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think we can all agree the SOW needs to stick around as our primary logo. That said, we need something else to compliment it within our branding. We can't keep slapping the SOW on different things and calling it a different logo (I.E. TX outline, UNT script, North Texas script, etc.). As someone who loves the interlocking NT, here are some schools who use interlocking letters as a secondary logo. It can be done! 

Oregon State:

image.png.60cf0fd37a16a6f09e7f66959821106f.png

Florida State:

image.png.f1e0fa470751894475da7c3c2a10bfcc.png

Texas State:

image.png.46644de41d49451caa370a2ca8931d1d.png

Arizona State:

image.png.b1a4781eb29c03b1abdfcabe4b5e0bb7.png

South Carolina:

image.png.3e4de9f62343d93571f469d854205b88.png

Well said.  And I personally don’t love the interlocking NT, but your list of examples from other schools could go on for pages…and I say that to say, you make an excellent point.  

I've come to realize that we could have the most beloved logo in all of sports history and someone will not like.  Taking that into account, that we will never please everyone, we should just pick one and stick with it.

As long as it is this:

Visual History of the Flying Worm - University of North Texas Athletics

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

Looks great.  I could support this!   

Fits well on the helmet; better than the SOW.

This is not directed at you @NT80 because I’ve seen several people say this about how the SOW fits on the helmet.  My question is this:  Why can’t it be sized to appropriately fit the helmet? 

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

This is not directed at you @NT80 because I’ve seen several people say this about how the SOW fits on the helmet.  My question is this:  Why can’t it be sized to appropriately fit the helmet? 

I think SOW could be sized or moved around to fit on a helmet.  I feel there are two main issues with it:

- size, the wings are very long and extend up, over the top of the helmet out of view, odd looking.

-the eagle head facing forward and down gets overlapped by the chin strap or facemask sidebar, not a good look.

Amazon.com : Riddell North Texas Mean Green NCAA Revolution Speed Mini  Football Helmet : Sports & Outdoors

North Texas Mean Green Schutt Mini Authentic Football Helmet By Schutt product image 1 of 1 slide

An upward eagle head looks and fits better on the helmet, but sometime it's feet get overlapped by the chin strap..

University of North Texas Athletics Auctions | Powered By  meangreensports.com

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1