Triple Option Obsolete?

MCMLXXX

It's finally got too hard for the NCAA to allow this to continue and then to say they were concerned about player safety. With the new rules, I would hope when we go against any school with a history of using them, the staff would be all in the referees' ears from the time they step on the field. 

• Upvote 1

I believe that the service academies are the only ones in Division I that still use it.  The coach that is now at Tulane used it when he was at Georgia Tech but I don't believe that he is using it at Tulane. 

The service academies have usually been over .500 with that formation over the last 10-15 years.  It seems to work for them and I'm a little surprised that Army is trying to change it.  It's too early yet to know if it will be abandoned totally.  

• Upvote 1

Very few teams actually read the triple option anymore and most of the concepts can be run from the spread.  The midline from the spread is still a lethal play.  If you are willing to play a two back spread, you can still do most of what you want.

It was a good fit for the service academies for the type of athletes they have to play.  Spreading the field and matching athletes with others will not work out well for them.

• Upvote 2