GMG Report: GCU Transfer Kobe Knox on OV with North Texas

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

Just guessing... it's slow due to having to interview and refill all the staff and assistants?

Probably. I remember us worrying about Morris for a while because he was busy finding the right staff and now we're all excited about what guys like Coach O and Coach Gilbert are doing.

I expect Hodge will find some quality players in due time

• Upvote 4

On 4/25/2023 at 10:54 PM, NT80 said:

Just guessing... it's slow due to having to interview and refill all the staff and assistants?

The Head Coach/former Associate Head Coach (Ross Hodge) has been on the job for the past 5-6 years. The Director of Scouting has been in the role for 2 years. The new women's coach was hired about the same time and has staff in place and 3 signed recruits. Albeit bringing everyone but the cheerleaders with him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, Cooley said:

The Head Coach/former Associate Head Coach (Ross Hodge) has been on the job for the past 5-6 years. The Director of Scouting has been in the role for 2 years. The new women's coach was hired about the same time and has staff in place and 3 signed recruits. Albeit bringing everyone but the cheerleaders with him. 

While we're sleeping.....UAB has signed Yaxel Landeborg . He's the 9th ranked juco player in the nation. They already had signed Chris Coleman (#6) and Alejandro Vasquez (#2).....so they have signed 3 of the top 10 jucos in the nation. 

Looks to me like we've whiffed on the three portal guys (Wells for sure, Knox and Buggs III sure haven't committed and were here for visits days ago). 

I hope things are going better than they look like they are. 

• Upvote 5

Yeah, this is not good. 

But one can assume after our best season in school history, we are not going to strike when the iron is hot. Are we still 156th in the nation in basketball budgeting? Probably. Did we push more money into recruiting? Probably not. Coaching pool? Probably not. Any plans to break ground on a new arena this decade? Probably not. 

Football will continue to consume egregious amounts of resources to maintain their mediocrity. Basketball can't punch above their funding level forever. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

Yeah, this is not good. 

But one can assume after our best season in school history, we are not going to strike when the iron is hot. Are we still 156th in the nation in basketball budgeting? Probably. Did we push more money into recruiting? Probably not. Coaching pool? Probably not. Any plans to break ground on a new arena this decade? Probably not. 

Football will continue to consume egregious amounts of resources to maintain their mediocrity. Basketball can't punch above their funding level forever. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Cooley said:

2 of those 3 are following Burton from their previous school. Not really an apples to apples comparison. Y’all starting to sound like those whiny Texas Tech fans that want instant gratification. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Is the recruiting (or lack of gets) potentially a problem?  Sure.

Of course that was a constant theme about McCasland  too.  I feel as though just about every off season we thought the recruiting was underwhelming...until the guys stepped on the court.  The previous staff, of which Hodge was the 2nd in command, always seemed to find undervalued guys.

I'm not gonna worry quite yet.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

Is the recruiting (or lack of gets) potentially a problem?  Sure.

Of course that was a constant theme about McCasland  too.  I feel as though just about every off season we thought the recruiting was underwhelming...until the guys stepped on the court.  The previous staff, of which Hodge was the 2nd in command, always seemed to find undervalued guys.

I'm not gonna worry quite yet.

IMO, with Grant, and now with Hodge, they might take a little longer to make sure they get a player who will fit into their systems compared to JUCO or transfers who will say whatever they think needs to be said to get the offer even if they don't buy-in to it.

• Upvote 3

Was just told that Buggs III will commit......but he wants to make a commitment video. FWIW. And we had at least one visitor this weekend that I know of....but don't know a name. 

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 2

Just now, SUMG said:

Was just told that Buggs III will commit......but he wants to make a commitment video. FWIW. And we add at least one visitor this weekend that I know of....but don't know a name. 

Basketball needs to borrow from Football and step up its social media game!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2