UNT Athletics Strategic Plan Update- 2023

DentonLurker

Vice President and Director of Athletics Jared Mosley unveiled Monday UNT Athletics' new TAKE FLIGHT strategic plan that will guide the department over the next five years including this summer's transition to the American Athletic Conference.

"This is an exciting time to be a part of UNT Athletics and the upcoming transition into the American Athletic Conference," Mosley said.  "I appreciate every one of our staff and constituents who participated in this process to help us identify the most strategic path forward to ensure the success of our student-athletes and ultimately each of our 16 sport programs.  We have a significant amount of momentum across our department and feel our commitment to our core values of people and their growth, integrity and success are cemented throughout this plan and will fuel our ability to TAKE FLIGHT in this new era of athletics here at UNT."

UNT Athletics Strategic Plan

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I really like all of these

• Work to enhance both the quantity and quality of apparel items available across DFW to more consistently enhance the UNT Athletics brand.
  • Update departmental brand/style guide to ensure greater consistency in departmental branding efforts and to strengthen the UNT Athletics brand across DFW and Texas. 
  • Evaluate the rewards programs for students to assist with increasing attendance and engagement at ticketed events. 
  • Increase coach and student-athlete involvement in stewardship and community engagement/service efforts.
  • Create marketing plan to increase average student attendance at football to 7,000 for non-holiday games and at basketball to 1,500 for non-holiday games by 2027. 
  • Secure $35,000,000 in major gift commitments by 2027, with $10,000,000 in major gifts in both 2023 and 2024.
  • Increase revenue from outside concerts and events to $500,000/annually by 2025.
  • Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Reads like word salad. 

I plan on doubling my personal income by 2026. How, you might ask? I have no idea. But THAT'S THE PLAN! 

Im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they don't need to lay it out step by step. I guess we will see in 5 years,

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Didn't see anything about straying away from wearing black jerseys. Should have Ubered to work today so my car could be safe from the #AdlerRiots.

If you look at the pictures of the athletes featured, they are all wearing Green or White!

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

• Harry featured this topic

Well, this looks more of a wish list than a strategic plan. For example, secure $35 million in gifts in four year with $10 million coming in both 2023 and 2024 seems more like spitballs on a wall so I assume there is a written marketing plan that is measurable with time lines .Goals and objectives must be reasonable and obtainable with a little pie in the sky. UNT has defined "where are we now" and"where are we going" [or want to go]. The hard part is "how are we going to get there, " which is the hard part and isn't shared in this communication. I would think that implementing a plan such as this is a big bite to chew and can only applaud the university for their efforts and wish them [actually us] well.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 5

I agree, it's word salad.  "Strategic Plans" sounds like a military operation.   Management talk for fans.  But really, has there been discussion with fans, alumni and students...the customers?   Like apparel merchandise:   what caused the issues and who decides the fixes?

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Since this Plan relates to branding also, how much push does NT Administration put on Athletics to conform to the University branding and wordmarks vs having Athletics own?   

There seems to have been a quiet push? towards Athletics using UNT recently over North Texas.   Are we trying to market and be like UCF and UAB, instead of East Carolina and South Florida, name-wise?   is there an advantage?

Has there been a National image consultant study done on the marketability of UNT vs North Texas?   I have always preferred North Texas, mainly because I graduated from NTSU.   UNT doesn't cover all eras of alums, but North Texas does.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Since this Plan relates to branding also, how much push does NT Administration put on Athletics to conform to the University branding and wordmarks vs having Athletics own?   

There seems to have been a quiet push? towards Athletics using UNT recently over North Texas.   Are we trying to market and be like UCF and UAB, instead of East Carolina and South Florida, name-wise?   is there an advantage?

Has there been a National image consultant study done on the marketability of UNT vs North Texas?   I have always preferred North Texas, mainly because I graduated from NTSU.   UNT doesn't cover all eras of alums, but North Texas does.  

Pick one and move forward. I also would hope it would be North Texas.

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Pick one and move forward. I also would hope it would be North Texas.

Even better, lets make sure to put it on the side of the helmet so everyone knows who we are 🙄

UNT for academic branding, SOW for athletic. Should be that across the board.

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Well, this looks more of a wish list than a strategic plan. For example, secure $35 million in gifts in four year with $10 million coming in both 2023 and 2024 seems more like spitballs on a wall so I assume there is a written marketing plan that is measurable with time lines 

Given that we are almost one-third into 2023 I would assume (again my assumption) that we may already have or be near the objective for this year. If so, then it should make it easier to attain the future objectives (success breeds success).

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Even better, lets make sure to put it on the side of the helmet so everyone knows who we are 🙄

I have had conversations with others on this board about naming. Directional schools get a bad rep, just the way it is. We, as alum/fans, can call us whatever we individually like. I'm of the group that believes we need to nationally refer to ourselves as UNT in a subtle attempt to hide the fact that we are a directional school. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Agreed. The UNT script should only be used for academic purposes. When people see the "logo" below they think of the university/academics, not athletics. I hate the push that's been happening the last 3-4 years to brand athletics under "UNT". I fear part of the strategic plan will be to officially drop "North Texas" from our branding and adopt "UNT". 

University Marks (Logos) | UNT Identity Guide

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Just now, UNTcrazy727 said:

Agreed. The UNT script should only be used for academic purposes. When people see the "logo" below they think of the university/academics, not athletics. I hate the push that's been happening the last 3-4 years to brand athletics under "UNT". I fear part of the strategic plan will to be officially drop "North Texas" from our branding and adopt "UNT". 

University Marks (Logos) | UNT Identity Guide

And it's a fantastic idea. 

Let me list some of the name of schools that brand themselves with full directional name... then I want you to order them in respect you personally give them...

Eastern Michigan

Western Michigan 

Central Michigan 

South Florida 

Middle

North Florida

Northern Arizona

East Carolina

Eastern Washington

Northern Colorado 

Southern Illinois

Etc

Now let me name some that abbreviate...

USC 

UCF 

TCU

SMU

SEMO

WCU

UIW

Etc

If I have a choice, put me in the latter group. And UNT just rolls off the tongue better as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

21 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Really wish we were just North Texas University... Would make things so much easier

It was all Hayden Fry's fault.  He vowed that he would never coach at a college that didn't have "University" at the beginning of the college's name.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1