Another good argument for UNT baseball

Jonnyeagle

19 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

The good argument is that UNT is in DFW?

In a way, YES.  DFW is a hotbed for high school baseball players, as well as other sports....

We just WON the Division I Men's Championships in Polo!!   Beat Texas A&M and Virginia....

DIVISION I MEN'S NATIONAL INTERCOLLEGIATE CHAMPIONSHIP | U.S. POLO ASSN.  (en-US)

NATIONAL TOURNAMENT
ii-logo-weboriginaloriginal.large.png

Tuesday, April 11, 2023 - Saturday, April 15, 2023

DIVISION I MEN'S NATIONAL INTERCOLLEGIATE CHAMPIONSHIP

Virginia Polo Inc. | Charlottesville, VA

Livestreaming on USPA-Polo-Network_Scoreboard.png
APRIL 11

Final

Division I Men's National Intercollegiate Championship

Virginia Polo Inc.

SMU logo

SMU (0-1)

Texas A&M logo

Texas A&M (1-1)

APRIL 13

Final

Virginia Polo Inc.

Cornell University (Cornell) logo

Cornell University (Cornell) (0-1)

UVA logo

UVA (1-1)

Semifinal
APRIL 13

Final

Virginia Polo Inc.

UNT logo

UNT (2-0)

Texas A&M logo

Texas A&M (1-1)

Semifinal
APRIL 15

Final

Virginia Polo Inc.

UVA logo

UVA (1-1)

UNT logo

UNT (2-0)

Final
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NT80 said:

In a way, YES.  DFW is a hotbed for high school baseball players, as well as other sports....

But it’s not an argument at all, much less a good one. I’ve seen lots of reasons to not add Baseball yet at UNT and I’ve never seen anyone say it shouldn’t be added because UNT is in DFW.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

But it’s not an argument at all, much less a good one. I’ve seen lots of reasons to not add Baseball yet at UNT and I’ve never seen anyone say it shouldn’t be added because UNT is in DFW.

Dallas Baptist has an outstanding baseball program with many years of postseason success.

Hope to see baseball at UNT in my lifetime. Low expectations though. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Bring it back. Baseball is highly popular in the state. There is 3-5a talent in droves* just an hour away from Denton in every direction. 

*Yes, in football too, I understand. But most baseball players are partly schollied and stay close to home far more than football players due to this. We can truly rake in the baseball talent and be uberly competitive very quickly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, wardly said:

So which one of us is going to write the $10 million +check to create a venue for a sport that will draw 10's of 10's? Being in DFW hasn't helped attendance in any of our other ports so why does anyone think baseball will?

Sure, great question. 

If the powers that be wanted it to be it would be. College athletics has turned into vying for positioning. Smu has no baseball program and we don't either. A baseball team puts us in a better position. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sure, great question. 

If the powers that be wanted it to be it would be. College athletics has turned into vying for positioning. Smu has no baseball program and we don't either. A baseball team puts us in a better position. 

Actually their location in Dallas puts them in a better position, as our being 30 miles from both Dallas and FT. Worth hasn't equated to fans in the stands for our sports nor a ton of media coverage. I would compare the UTA program as a benchmark for comparison as to the success or failure of one at North Texas. Both T.C.U. and T.T. are in the top 25 with average attendance of 4,000. I have been unable to find DBU's or UTA's. However with DBU's small enrollment and location I doubt that its much regardless of their on the field success. Also UTA doesn't support basketball so I guess there probably isn't much interest in baseball. I would like to think "build it and they will come" but that hasn't worked out for our football program. I also would like to think having a highly successful men's basketball program would increase our average attendance of 4,000 but it didn't. In summary, for the size of our student body and the thousands of graduates in DFW our athletic programs don't garner much interest by either.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Actually their location in Dallas puts them in a better position, as our being 30 miles from both Dallas and FT. Worth hasn't equated to fans in the stands for our sports nor a ton of media coverage. I would compare the UTA program as a benchmark for comparison as to the success or failure of one at North Texas. Both T.C.U. and T.T. are in the top 25 with average attendance of 4,000. I have been unable to find DBU's or UTA's. However with DBU's small enrollment and location I doubt that its much regardless of their on the field success. Also UTA doesn't support basketball so I guess there probably isn't much interest in baseball. I would like to think "build it and they will come" but that hasn't worked out for our football program. I also would like to think having a highly successful men's basketball program would increase our average attendance of 4,000 but it didn't. In summary, for the size of our student body and the thousands of graduates in DFW our athletic programs don't garner much interest by either.

We are not UTA, and as good as DBU has been in baseball we are not them either. I am making a debate for progressing our University and you are rebuttling it with let's hold serve. 

And us having baseball over smu makes us the well-rounded athletic program. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Where would they play?  It doesn’t look like they have the real estate to add a baseball facility.  They would have to take a wrecking ball to something.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ftworth said:

Dallas Baptist has an outstanding baseball program with many years of postseason success.

My point is the argument lacks teeth. No one is disputing that being in DFW would be good when it comes to starting and running a baseball program.

The arguments I’ve seen and heard about baseball center around where it lands on our priority list. From a facilities perspective, it’s below AC expansion, new basketball facility with state of the art amenities and practice facilities, etc. in my opinion. I think we still need to show a lot of commitment to current sports before we start talking about adding more.

From a general athletics support perspective, we need to sell a lot more season tickets across the board and bring in a lot more donations before we start adding more sports.

I’m all for adding baseball when the time is right. We just have some things we need to get right before we go there.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

My point is the argument lacks teeth. No one is disputing that being in DFW would be good when it comes to starting and running a baseball program.

The arguments I’ve seen and heard about baseball center around where it lands on our priority list. From a facilities perspective, it’s below AC expansion, new basketball facility with state of the art amenities and practice facilities, etc. in my opinion. I think we still need to show a lot of commitment to current sports before we start talking about adding more.

From a general athletics support perspective, we need to sell a lot more season tickets across the board and bring in a lot more donations before we start adding more sports.

I’m all for adding baseball when the time is right. We just have some things we need to get right before we go there.

Getting things perfectly right will never happen. Getting things right all simultaneously with consistency will never happen. There will be ebbs and flows to success in everything across the board for as long as sports exist, ever moreso at UNT. 

We are either going to attempt to make ourselves as marketable as possible when the next inevitable shift happens or we'll continue just being what we are. 

I love football. Love it. But, we could be a legitimate basketball and baseball power for a variety of reasons. In football, there are just so many things stacked against us. Also, in football our history of success plateaus us in Albuquerque, New Mexico with a 9-3 record playing a MWC school on a Wednesday afternoon 4 days before Christmas. As for now, and we have no other reason to believe otherwise, that's as good as it gets.  

Baseball and basketball presents opportunities for us. Real ones. Financially manageable ones. To me, it's a no brainer as to which direction to go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not expecting that things will be absolutely perfect before Baseball, but we have to address the AC being undersized for our current needs (especially if we are going to add sports), a new basketball arena is a necessity for this program, and our general lack of financial support makes me wonder where the millions for a stadium and $1.5-3M per year to fund the program is going to come from.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Getting things perfectly right will never happen. Getting things right all simultaneously with consistency will never happen. There will be ebbs and flows to success in everything across the board for as long as sports exist, ever moreso at UNT. 

We are either going to attempt to make ourselves as marketable as possible when the next inevitable shift happens or we'll continue just being what we are. 

I love football. Love it. But, we could be a legitimate basketball and baseball power for a variety of reasons. In football, there are just so many things stacked against us. Also, in football our history of success plateaus us in Albuquerque, New Mexico with a 9-3 record playing a MWC school on a Wednesday afternoon 4 days before Christmas. As for now, and we have no other reason to believe otherwise, that's as good as it gets.  

Baseball and basketball presents opportunities for us. Real ones. Financially manageable ones. To me, it's a no brainer as to which direction to go. 

Agree completely with this thought process. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, wardly said:

So which one of us is going to write the $10 million +check to create a venue for a sport that will draw 10's of 10's?

6BAC92B0-7E14-426D-9753-3D939431E39B.gif.a793115a1add218f41a84be4861d2e01.gif

Correctomundo.  

And baseball wouldn’t be filling a gap in DFW area College Baseball with DBU in commuting distance.  Gymnastics would be game changer for the school.  So if we were to start a new program I would want us to break into market not served in most of the state.  A North Texas Gymnastics program could take OU’s place in the Big 12.  Even if they don’t go to the Big 12 they could regularly have meets with the biggest brands in the SEC and Big 10.   On the flip side look at DBU’s program they are dominate but region hasn’t flocked to their games.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

6BAC92B0-7E14-426D-9753-3D939431E39B.gif.a793115a1add218f41a84be4861d2e01.gif

Correctomundo.  

And baseball wouldn’t be filling a gap in DFW area College Baseball with DBU in commuting distance.  Gymnastics would be game changer for the school.  So if we were to start a new program I would want us to break into market not served in most of the state.  A North Texas Gymnastics program could take OU’s place in the Big 12.  Even if they don’t go to the Big 12 they could regularly have meets with the biggest brands in the SEC and Big 10.   On the flip side look at DBU’s program they are dominate but region hasn’t flocked to their games.  

Tell me when DBU plays?  Show me their schedule?  They don't market, at least not to the DFW market and neither does UTA or TCU.

This is what bothers me the most about our department, we market poorly.

• Upvote 1