2023-2024 Men's B-Ball Schedule News

SUMG

We have the aforementioned Charleston tournament.....Nov. 16, 17 and 19.

And per our pal NT03......we're hosting Omaha on Nov. 11. Played them here last season too. (at least they're Div. 1)

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

• SUMG changed the title to 2023-2024 Men's B-Ball Schedule News
1 hour ago, SUMG said:

We have the aforementioned Charleston tournament.....Nov. 16, 17 and 19.

And per our pal NT03......we're hosting Omaha on Nov. 11. Played them here last season too. (at least they're Div. 1)

Good info.  I am also hoping Coach Mac does us a solid and gives us a home and home with Tech.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Ran from the team…. Scared to play the team…. Makes sense….. may he lose every game this season. 

Established a dynasty at old team, knows the new team cannot yet handle what he established at the old one.

...makes sense...but you keep picking logic that fits your anti-change narrative.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 4/15/2023 at 5:11 PM, greenminer said:

Established a dynasty at old team, knows the new team cannot yet handle what he established at the old one.

...makes sense...but you keep picking logic that fits your anti-change narrative.

On 4/15/2023 at 4:02 PM, Andrew said:

Ran from the team…. Scared to play the team…. Makes sense….. may he lose every game this season. 

I am sure McCasland is scared to death to play NT, are you kidding.  My guess is that he doesn't want to go up against his chief assistant, at least this early in his D1 head coaching career.

I doubt there is anyway that Tech will ever travel to Denton for a game.  It is very rare that a team from a higher tier conference is ever going to play an away game against a team from a perceived lesser league.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

??  We have already hosted Texas Tech in Denton before. 

Plus LSU, Texas, Okla St, Baylor, DePaul, Arkansas, OU, Alabama, Colorado, Arizona, Indiana, etc.....

Also Marquette when they were number one in the nation, only that was in Dallas I think.

Just because you have done something before, doesn't  mean it will happen anytime soon again.   There was a time when few teams took the game seriously in Texas.  UH and NT were the best programs in the state. 

A few times every year a power basketball program will play an away game against a lesser conference, so it is obviously possible.   I just do not think it occurs enough to logically believe that NT will get a game like this more than once a decade. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Used to.....some teams would try to give their great players.....a game at "home." 

Pretty sure that's how JJ got Indiana here. As I recall.....they had a great player from Lewisville. 

And I believe we got a home game with Arizona State that way. 

Anyway....that's one way to get games here. And there are loads of good D-FW players spread out all over the country. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, SUMG said:

Used to.....some teams would try to give their great players.....a game at "home." 

Pretty sure that's how JJ got Indiana here. As I recall.....they had a great player from Lewisville. 

Bracey Wright. he was an absolute baller...we did home and home with Indiana, 02-03 in Bloomington; 03-04 in Denton...Wright dropped 21 at home and an unguardable 39 in the Pit. I have a memory of him banking in a three...just couldn't miss...we only lost 79-70, though...it was a solid accounting for where JJ was moving the program. 

IU box score says 6100 in attendance in Denton. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Bracey Wright. he was an absolute baller...we did home and home with Indiana, 02-03 in Bloomington; 03-04 in Denton...Wright dropped 21 at home and an unguardable 39 in the Pit. I have a memory of him banking in a three...just couldn't miss...we only lost 79-70, though...it was a solid accounting for where JJ was moving the program. 

Teammate of Deron Williams at The Colony 

• Upvote 2

damn...the names on this Denton box score got me spun...

Shawnson Johnson went for 21 and 11, probably made everyone think he was sane and he'd play a legit 5 
Leonard Hopkins was the star this season...he had 9
Jerome Rodgers had 9 as well

then how about this hodge-podge of awesome UNT role player names that imma bet a lot of you already forgot about:
Michael DeGrate
Will Smith
Ty Thomas
Marqus Mitchell
Michael Jones
Ron Harris

those were some dudes right there. I'd take a Ron Harris or Ty Thomas on this team right now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Thank you. Couldn't remember his name....

• Upvote 3

A current example of giving a great D-FW player a game back home:

One of the top Metroplex players the last few years.....Finley Bizjack of Byron Nelson High (about 14 miles from UNT). 

He lead D-FW in scoring this past year....about 30 ppg a game. We recruited him.

He signed with Butler.

Would Butler give us a home and home? Not sure coaches do this kind of thinking when it comes to scheduling any more. But they should. 

• Upvote 2

I suspect we will soon see an inclusion of UNT-Dallas on the schedule.  Sort of feels like we "Owe" it to them due to the fact we are part of the same system.

Josh Howard

https://untdathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule?path=mbball

https://untdathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/joshua-howard/52

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 4

14 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I suspect we will soon see an inclusion of UNT-Dallas on the schedule.  Sort of feels like we "Owe" it to them due to the fact we are part of the same system.

Josh Howard

https://untdathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule?path=mbball

https://untdathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/joshua-howard/52

Wouldn’t mind that, better than an LSU Alexandria or random schools not D1

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1