Where's Tylor Perry This Weekend?

SUMG

Ousmane didn't leave over money given he seemed to have issues with the staff.  That said, I'm sure the money he'll get at Xavier will be decent.  Money obviously played into Perry's decision, but I think most of us were aware of that from the start.  That's why I figured he'd go overseas, since I thought he could potentially make more over there.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No.
It's just that those of us who are OK with it are able to put ourselves in these kids' shoes, and not trash them simply because they chose to pursue opportunities outside of our beloved UNT.   They're actual people.   Not pawns for UNT's advancement.   

No one trashes guys like Jalen Jackson when he leaves to play at A&M-CC, but as soon as a real difference-making player like Abou or Tylor happen to leave to play elsewhere, y'all's feelings get hurt and you wish him "well", while actually wishing him ill.  And you even get faux-righteous posts like Andrew's saying he would not allow his son to advance himself... yeah right.

They are literal pawns for UNTs advancement. Players come and go, UNT is forever. Seems pretty pawn-ish to me. 

And for the record, I don't wish any of them well. You're either with us or against us. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They are literal pawns for UNTs advancement. Players come and go, UNT is forever. Seems pretty pawn-ish to me. 

And for the record, I don't wish any of them well. You're either with us or against us. 

My man,
These guys get 5 years to play college b-ball.  Again, put yourself in these guys' position.   What would you do?

And these guys sure seemed to be "with us" when they were busy earning All-conference honors and winning games wearing Green.  I'm sure glad they were "with us" while they were.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have a NIT banner-hanging ceremony next season.

• Upvote 7
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My man,
These guys get 5 years to play college b-ball.  Again, put yourself in these guys' position.   What would you do?

And these guys sure seemed to be "with us" when they were busy earning All-conference honors and winning games wearing Green.  I'm sure glad they were "with us" while they were.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have a NIT banner-hanging ceremony next season.

Yes, they were with us. They decided to leave us. They are no longer with us. They, themselves (college athletes in all sports), are proving more and more they're replaceable. Interchangeable pawns. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But no-one has anything bad to say about Kai Huntsberry's loyalty in coming to UNT from a D-2 school.  According to some, he should have just stayed there.   Lucky for us, he felt that UNT was a better opportunity for him.

And good for him. He chose us. Elevated his entire divisional platform, will graduate from UNT and is going out on top WITH UNT. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yes, they were with us. They decided to leave us. They are no longer with us. They, themselves (college athletes in all sports), are proving more and more they're replaceable. Interchangeable pawns. 

Gimme an answer to that bolded question.  Put yourself in Tylor's shoes.   What would you do?

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Gimme an answer to that bolded question.  Put yourself in Tylor's shoes.   What would you do?

I can't put myself in Tylor's shoes. I don't know Tylor or his situation. 

I can put myself in my shoes. A few things for me to consider...

1. What kind of team can we have with me at UNT?

2. What kind of monetary interest am I receiving? 

3. Can UNT get close to the figures I'm hearing? 

4. Is money > legacy? Is receiving 15-30-50k more from elsewhere greater than being a legitimate legend at UNT? 

Let's be real, from just us fan perspectives, is cementing himself at UNT better than 40k more in NIL money? He's not getting lifetime money, let's be honest about that. So, IOW, he's chasing peanuts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I can't put myself in Tylor's shoes. I don't know Tylor or his situation. 

I can put myself in my shoes. A few things for me to consider...

1. What kind of team can we have with me at UNT?

2. What kind of monetary interest am I receiving? 

3. Can UNT get close to the figures I'm hearing? 

4. Is money > legacy? Is receiving 15-30-50k more from elsewhere greater than being a legitimate legend at UNT? 

Let's be real, from just us fan perspectives, is cementing himself at UNT better than 40k more in NIL money? He's not getting lifetime money, let's be honest about that. So, IOW, he's chasing peanuts. 

Oh dude, No.   
You're greatly underestimating some of these P5 NIL collectives.   These guys are playing with toy money.  ...Especially after Ole Miss makes an offer.   He can play that game with KSSt's starting point, but sadly, he can't play that game with NT.

EDIT:  Heck, let's hypothetical:
NT offers something like $50k NIL.  Probably pretty rich for RV & his group.   Maybe GBR decides he really wants to try and keep Tylor and throws in another $25k-$50k himself to get him up around $100k.  That's the best we could hope for.
KS St. probably starts around $100k, and could easily bump to $150k - $200k.   That's a ton of money.
Ole Miss starts at $400k, and the second they see hesitation, simply bumps to $500k.  From there, if they have TP's ear, their collective can likely go bug some other donors for another $50k-100k.

I dunno about your situation, but $400k difference between UNT & Ole Miss is "Life changing money" for most.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But no-one has anything bad to say about Kai Huntsberry's loyalty in coming to UNT from a D-2 school.  According to some, he should have just stayed there.   Lucky for us, he felt that UNT was a better opportunity for him.

That's because he was coming to us, which is a wise decision, not leaving, which exhibits poor critical thinking skills.  Plus, I'm hypocritical when it comes to this.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Perry only even has this option because of Covid, right?  He will be a graduate of here, which is actually more than we can say of some folks who played here multiple seasons (sometimes four!) over numerous sports but never got their degree.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh dude, No.   
You're greatly underestimating some of these P5 NIL collectives.   These guys are playing with toy money.  ...Especially after Ole Miss makes an offer.   He can play that game with KSSt's starting point, but sadly, he can't play that game with NT.

NT offers something like $50k NIL.  Probably pretty rich for RV & his group.   Maybe GBR decides he really wants to try and keep Tylor and throws in another $25k-$50k himself to get him up around $100k.  That's the best we could hope for.
KS St. probably starts around $100k, and could easily bump to $150k - $200k.   That's a ton of money.
Ole Miss starts at $400k, and the second they see hesitation, simply bumps to $500k.  From there, if they have TP's ear, their collective can likely go bug some other donors for another $50k-100k.

I dunno about your situation, but $400k difference between UNT & Ole Miss is "Life changing money" for most.

Thanks for laying it out. For a young man potentially entering the workforce in a couple years if he doesn't go pro, that extra $300k-$400k could be a house, money used to jump-start a business, take care of other needs, or a mix of all of the above. Anybody saying they wouldn't have benefited from starting post-graduate life with $400k in the bank is either lying or has a family that's well-off available to support them.

One thing Perry hopefully is considering is state income taxes. Out of the schools he's considering, only Florida and Texas Tech are in states with no state income tax. Hopefully our NIL is explaining that to prospects when discussing potential deals.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

59 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh dude, No.   

Again, he is not getting 400k. That would put him in financial elite status with surefire lottery picks and 1st round NFL talent. That is not happening. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

One thing Perry hopefully is considering is state income taxes. Out of the schools he's considering, only Florida and Texas Tech are in states with no state income tax. Hopefully our NIL is explaining that to prospects when discussing potential deals.

I hope Perry is considering potential state income taxes.  But what about Uncle Sam.  He'll want his cut of Perry's money.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

So every time we get solid, productive players to Denton, and they are all-everything, shoot lights out, and are instrumental in getting us another super season or two, y’all are OK with them moving on to another school for money because that’s how the game is now played?  Am I correct?

Well I’m not OK with it!  Long-term NT will never survive.

It makes sense... I mean dude the sign outside the Super Pit hasn't been working fully in about 6 months... What does that tell you about UNT?

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

That means the lower conferences are our farm system along with P5's that want to play. This is one of the reasons I think HS players are going to be the last line in the pecking order.

HS players and coaches complain about how the portal is hurting them, and then many of these same players complaining jump into the portal if they play well at the school that gave them a chance. And rumor has it some of these same coaches act as go-betweens when their former players have not yet entered the portals. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

So every time we get solid, productive players to Denton, and they are all-everything, shoot lights out, and are instrumental in getting us another super season or two, y’all are OK with them moving on to another school for money because that’s how the game is now played?  Am I correct?

Well I’m not OK with it!  Long-term NT will never survive.

If it means getting that caliber of player in the first place then I am absolutely ok with it.

Why are we ok with being used by rising coaches to have a few great seasons on their way to the P5 but not feel the same about players?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh dude, No.   

Do you know for a fact that these are the amounts these programs are offering or are these just assumptions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1