Softball series versus Charlotte

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We let a lot of balls go by without swinging for called first and second strikes, only to take a swipe at poor pitches for the out. 

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! We seem to have a strategy where we hope to walk first and then swing if we must. We are way too passive at the plate.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

Wow, 0-14 when behind after four. No way around it, but at least up to this point, this season has been awful. Based on preseason expectations, a disaster. Lack of aggressiveness at the plate, poor fielding, bad base running, and too many walks and wild pitches. This has been a lousy year for Rodney and his staff. Hopefully, he can right the ship. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Wow, 0-14 when behind after four. No way around it, but at least up to this point, this season has been awful. Based on preseason expectations, a disaster. Lack of aggressiveness at the plate, poor fielding, bad base running, and too many walks and wild pitches. This has been a lousy year for Rodney and his staff. Hopefully, he can right the ship. 

Two bad cases of "sophomore Jinx" would be Skylar Savage and Cierra Simon. Both were phenomenal last year as true freshmen. Lot of season left. And quite frankly....we're at the point where the only way we make the NCAAs is by winning the CUSA tournament. So that's still doable.....just gotta play a lot better than we have.

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Two bad cases of "sophomore Jinx" would be Skylar Savage and Cierra Simon. Both were phenomenal last year as true freshmen. Lot of season left. And quite frankly....we're at the point where the only way we make the NCAAs is by winning the CUSA tournament. So that's still doable.....just gotta play a lot better than we have.

I hope you are right and we can win the tournament. However, don't feel too confident unless Rodney shakes some things up and changes how we approach our at-bats. 

• Upvote 4

That was hard to watch. The errors and wild pitches cost us the game last night. Mental mistakes are killing this season. These girls have to get a lot tougher. 

On a side note.... I'm not one to complain about uniforms, but when the visiting team is wearing more green than we are on our home field, I have a problem. We need to see more Green from this team. More Mean too.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

That was hard to watch. The errors and wild pitches cost us the game last night. Mental mistakes are killing this season. These girls have to get a lot tougher. 

On a side note.... I'm not one to complain about uniforms, but when the visiting team is wearing more green than we are on our home field, I have a problem. We need to see more Green from this team. More Mean too.

I would really like to see someone interview Jared and ask him his thoughts on teams not wearing green.Really tired of the Softball team wearing black and white almost every game. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would really like to see someone interview Jared and ask him his thoughts on teams not wearing green.Really tired of the Softball team wearing black and white almost every game. 

We’ve been through this before. Wren explained to a group of us that the kids are the ones who ask for the black anf tuink it looks cool.  Not saying we should let the players call the shots but that is what has been driving it historically.

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

We’ve been through this before. Wren explained to a group of us that the kids are the ones who ask for the black anf tuink it looks cool.  Not saying we should let the players call the shots but that is what has been driving it historically.

I understand that but with all dur respect it's total bullsshi+. It's one thing that they occasionally wear a different color but in the case of the softball team they wear black-and-white 90% of the time.

We keep talking about our school being identified as the Mean Green and we don't even try and maximize on that. It seems when it comes to marketing we are very low level. With the softball team I go back to the game on ESPN Saint Patrick's day. Before the teams came out the announcers were playing up where here else would you want to be on Saint Patrick's day except for the home of the Mean  Green. We came out in black. Then they sort of walked around the fact and sort of joked about the fact that well we actually do have green as our color. Sometimes it's hard to believe how many people could care less if we have traditions or a focused identity.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

I followed today’s game online and it appeared that we played much better. This game had a similar feel to last year when they got on a run in conference. I hope Saturday’s 7th inning come from behind rally was the defining moment in turning this season around. This is a good ball club that has the ability to be great. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT did a great job of winning Game 3 to take the series. This was the first time Charlotte has lost a conference series this season. 

Charlotte 2

UNT 6

Final

Best game of the series, by far and we wore green. Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Eagle71 said:

Ashley Peters better be C-USA "pitcher of the Week" or there's going to be trouble.  Two straight days of outstanding pitching!  Outstanding team effort.

Charlotte victory 04162023 341460556_558731812828184_2292961211725747921_n.jpg

Oooh.  What are you going to do.  The brainiacs in the CUSA office picked a pitcher from FAU that pitched two complete game wins over UTEP over Peters who swept the leading team in the conference.  Love to hear their justification.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Oooh.  What are you going to do.  The brainiacs in the CUSA office picked a pitcher from FAU that pitched two complete game wins over UTEP over Peters who swept the leading team in the conference.  Love to hear their justification.

Definitely agree with you on Peters but it could be FAU now is in first place with a three game lead. Who knows!

On 4/14/2023 at 9:04 PM, SUMG said:

Got to disagree about Simon's numbers for this year.  She is up over last year in almost all of her hitting categories.  Her K's are also way down from '22.  Several players aren't having the year that they had in 2022, but Cierra is not one of them.  We got used to Lexi hitting around the .400 mark last year, so lack of production from the #1 and #2 spots is the biggest part of the run production problem.  But you are right Skylar not having the kind of year that she had.  Good to see Peters really coming on as we approach the home stretch.  Sparks' .461 average over the last ten games, raising her average by nearly 100 points is a welcome relief from earlier this season.  Hey, maybe we'll get it all together at the same time heading into the tournament.

Cierra 2 year stats Untitled (2).png

Edited by Eagle71

2 hours ago, blurbeard said:

Definitely agree with you on Peters but it could be FAU now is in first place with a three game lead. Who knows!

This is the pitcher of the week, not season-to-date. It should have been Peters based on the level of competition and importance. 

• Upvote 1