Reason For No Interlocking NT Logo

UNTcrazy727

I've often heard rumors this was the case, but this tweet pretty much confirms the North Texas Alumni Association blocks UNT and the Athletics Department from using the interlocking NT as a logo. This is really disappointing because I know a lot of fans would love to see the interlocking NT come back as part of our branding.

• Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I've often heard rumors this was the case, but this tweet pretty much confirms the North Texas Alumni Association blocks UNT and the Athletics Department from using the interlocking NT as a logo. This is really disappointing because I know a lot of fans would love to see the interlocking NT come back as part of our branding.

I don’t mind the Alumni association having its own logo. I also like the diving eagle.  I don’t love the diving eagle connected to UNT for sports, but I understand the use of it for academics. Thanks for sharing the info. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I don’t mind the Alumni association having its own logo. I also like the diving eagle.  I don’t love the diving eagle connected to UNT for sports, but I understand the use of it for academics. Thanks for sharing the info. 

I mind that they block athletics from using any version of an interlocking NT logo. I get wanting to protect their own version, but the university/athletic dept should be able to create their own. They used it long before the alumni association. 

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, drex said:

Alumni Association is funded by the university...hence, one big happy family...logos should be easily interchanged for university purposes.

Not true…per the tweet, the alumni association owns the logo as a separate entity (nonprofit) from the university. 

• Upvote 1

The Alumni Association has never “blocked” the University from incorporating their interlocked NT. URCM leadership has kept the current UNT branding under an iron first ever since the last big redesign that created current marks. Simply no desire to partner, license, or promote anything outside their scope of control.

That’s also why our “throwback” merchandise has been a struggle over the years. They fought the Flying Worm thing for literally years. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1

25 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

The Alumni Association has never “blocked” the University from incorporating their interlocked NT. URCM leadership has kept the current UNT branding under an iron first ever since the last big redesign that created current marks. Simply no desire to partner, license, or promote anything outside their scope of control.

That’s also why our “throwback” merchandise has been a struggle over the years. They fought the Flying Worm thing for literally years. 

Mark Miller told me a different story but I can believe what you are saying is true.  Which is a shame!

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Just to clarify, we are talking about Athletics not being able to use the specific Alumni interlocking NT logo with star, not to be confused with plain interlocking NT letters or within another logo, correct?   

Because obviously you can't trademark just interlocked letters, and Athletics has used NT in logos before on uniforms...

1967 North Texas

North Texas Mean Green Primary Logo | SPORTS LOGO HISTORY

North Texas Mean Green 1968-1971 Primary Logo custom decal  [SKT-NCAA-NTMG-P1968-01] - $1.00 : diytransfers.com

327184472_1672270669856010_7986229077008635179_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=tPm4KnXa39UAX-bVQT0&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=00_AfDbIJIyOvrplgKCVKL_DXSGNVvsIamxpefDa-BdGBavqQ&oe=643CA97F

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Just to clarify, we are talking about Athletics not being able to use the specific Alumni interlocking NT logo with star, not to be confused with plain interlocking NT letters or within another logo, correct?   Because obviously you can't trademark just interlocked letters, and Athletics has used NT in logos before on uniforms...

1967 North Texas

North Texas Mean Green Primary Logo | SPORTS LOGO HISTORY

North Texas Mean Green 1968-1971 Primary Logo custom decal  [SKT-NCAA-NTMG-P1968-01] - $1.00 : diytransfers.com

327184472_1672270669856010_7986229077008635179_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=tPm4KnXa39UAX-bVQT0&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=00_AfDbIJIyOvrplgKCVKL_DXSGNVvsIamxpefDa-BdGBavqQ&oe=643CA97F

I asked Brandon Buzbee a similar question and did not get a response. I suggested they could use the same font from the current university script so the Athletics “NT” differentiates from the Alumni Association “NT”. 

But if you remember, the throwback gear released in concert with the Mean Joe Greene game did not include an interlocking “NT” like the logo on the helmets. All the merch for sale had the “NT” separated. There was obviously some kind of legal issue preventing them from selling their own logo. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

On 4/13/2023 at 6:19 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

I mind that they block athletics from using any version of an interlocking NT logo. I get wanting to protect their own version, but the university/athletic dept should be able to create their own. They used it long before the alumni association. 

The interlocking NT is also used by the UNT Letterwinners Association, which is not part of the Alumni Association, but affiliated with UNT Athletics. I’m partial to the 3D star on the Alumni Association logo, but if it’s just the interlocking NT that people want to see on helmets, I don’t think the Alumni Association is the obstacle. 

https://meangreensports.com/sports/2020/3/17/meangreenforlife
image.png.d0bbba40d76749f74a6d4eba838fe5b8.png

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Just stick with the SOW. stop trying to change things every 10 years

No one is suggesting getting rid of the SOW. But its the only logo we have and that's a problem. The interlocking NT would just be bringing back an old logo that should have never been dropped from our branding. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

No one is suggesting getting rid of the SOW. But its the only logo we have and that's a problem. The interlocking NT would just be bringing back an old logo that should have never been dropped from our branding. 

So I could make the same argument about the original "stylized eagle"?

image.png.a605a92d0dc21936c4d7c6915005005c.png

If that were the guideline, then every single logo would by open game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

So I could make the same argument about the original "stylized eagle"?

If that were the guideline, then every single logo would by open game.

I don't think there's any demand for it to be brought back full time. People outside of UNT can't even tell what it is. Hence, the nickname "Flying Worm."  It's a quirky 70s logo that needs to be kept as a throwback only. 

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don't think there's any demand for it to be brought back full time. People outside of UNT can't even tell what it is. Hence, the nickname "Flying Worm."  It's a quirky 70s logo that needs to be kept as a throwback only. 

But you reasoning for the interlocking NT was that it was a logo that should have never been dropped.  Many share the same opinion regarding the flying worm, and I would argue that if it had not been replaced, it would be iconic today.

I am not arguing against the interlocking NT, in fact, I bought a fitted cap at Voertman's back in my college days that had an interlocking NT on it.  I received many positive comments and never saw another one, so I guess I was just lucky to get it when I did.  I find the comment that the alumni association/lettermen's association owns it, so the teams can't to be ridiculous.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

But you reasoning for the interlocking NT was that it was a logo that should have never been dropped.  Many share the same opinion regarding the flying worm, and I would argue that if it had not been replaced, it would be iconic today.

But it was dropped and is now regarded as a dated 70's logo that would confuse anyone outside the UNT community. I think the way its used a a throwback is perfect. Interlocking letters are a classic look that never look dated. 

And I would argue it was brought back in spirit with the SOW. There's no need to have multiple eagle logos. The interlocking NT would diversify our branding and merch. Right now, all you see is the SOW packaged in different ways and is a reason why our merch all looks similar and generic. 

On 4/14/2023 at 6:50 PM, ScreamingEaglesFan said:

I guess coach Delong didn't get the memo because he's wearing a interlocking letters hat at today's game.

And Ross Hodge's daughter was repping it at his introductory press conference. There are obviously people in the athletic department that want to use it. I just want them to figure out whatever legal issues there might be with the the alumni association so they can start selling it to fans. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not arguing against the interlocking NT, in fact, I bought a fitted cap at Voertman's back in my college days that had an interlocking NT on it.  I received many positive comments and never saw another one, so I guess I was just lucky to get it when I did.  I find the comment that the alumni association/lettermen's association owns it, so the teams can't to be ridiculous.

The Stylized Eagle fits better on a football helmet than the SOW does.  It is ours alone, not borrowed from clipart or another country's air force like SOW.

Interlocked letters are boring and mean different things to different people...

Northern Tool + Equipment Improves Space Management Practices - Delaney  Consulting and Creative

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1