Tough Times Ahead for San Antonio?

cousin oliver

Not a surprise, and why I’ve scoffed at the idea of us going P5 anytime in the near future. Even after the years we’ve spent in C-USA, we still have our heads under water in most sports there, and now we’re moving up again to an even higher level of competition. The transition would be easier if we already had better infrastructure in place. Nice to be in a large market and have people moving us up in conference every few years, but if that market doesn’t do enough for us in terms of the money we need to be competitive, expect some stormy weather ahead. Our AD has done a terrific job so far, but we can only do so much at a time.

Link:  http://www.rowdytalk.com/showthread.php/12002-Can-we-keep-up

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Sounds vaguely familiar.

Edit: Eyeroll all you want, but if it wasn't for Seth's stupid contract we would have canned his ass last year.

Yet, our present and future still seem fine. So i don’t see how it’s familiar.

(no eye rolls from me)

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

27 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Oh man, you pulled some stuff I said from 5 years ago. Congrats.

Well seeing as the contract (that you think was stupid) was signed the summer after your comments were made “5 years ago” then I think it is relevant. Seth‘s last extension was signed after his second 9 win season and flirtation with KState. There were VERY few people against that contract at the time, you and I were not in that group.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

I learned from the Seth Littrell contract extension. UTSA did not. Others won’t either. 

I will always ALWAYS look through the prism of “who did they beat” from now on when it comes to thinking we should extend a coach or not. Same will go for Morris, Hodge, etc. 

If a coach can parlay beating up mediocre teams into P5 offers. Good luck to them. Littrell would’ve more than likely already been fired by KState and probably be an offensive analyst at OU by now. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Well seeing as the contract (that you think was stupid) was signed the summer after your comments were made “5 years ago” then I think it is relevant. Seth‘s last extension was signed after his second 9 win season and flirtation with KState. There were VERY few people against that contract at the time, you and I were not in that group.

Yeah I know, I changed my mind. It was 5 years ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2023 at 10:37 AM, cousin oliver said:

If I were a UTSA fan, or even a part of the admin there, I would be very disappointed in this charlatan.  He wants more everything and basically admits is cause he wants to cover his own ass.  Here’s an idea, why doesn’t he donate some of his 2 million a year salary to the cause?  I mean, if he truly cares like he says he does?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

If I were a UTSA fan, or even a part of the admin there, I would be very disappointed in this charlatan.  He wants more everything and basically admits is cause he wants to cover his own ass.  Here’s an idea, why doesn’t he donate some of his 2 million a year salary to the cause?  I mean, if he truly cares like he says he does?

Snake oil salesman. As soon as the last of Frank Wilson’s recruits finish their eligibility after the 2023 season UTSA is going to rue the day they made that ridiculous deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I was against it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I was against it. 

And you were right when so many of us were wrong. You have every right to ridicule the contract as much as you want. You are one of a select few that had the right foresight.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 7:58 PM, peanuts104 said:

Sounds vaguely familiar.

Edit: Eyeroll all you want, but if it wasn't for Seth's stupid contract we would have canned his ass last year.

You mean November 2021 maybe?  Anyways when you compare Traylor's resigning to Seth’s it is an order of magnitude worse decision by UNT leadership.  Chiefly because out football trophy case has a lot of trophies and none of them due to Seth’s leadership.  Without Traylor the UTSA trophy case is empty.  I don’t know why more of us here didn’t share @97and03's opinion on the second resigning.  We acted like we were the program with an empty trophy case, no history,and renting a subpar pro stadium (even when it was brand new 30 years ago) that a basketball team never wanted and vacated it in less than 10 years.  How much does UTSA pay to play there?   UTSA leadership had a lot of reasons to be excited and desperate to hold on Traylor.   

Traylor is simultaneously tempering expectations in the new conference and backhandedly fund raising.  I think as long as they don’t have an on campus stadium generating revenue and AAC level athletic facilities the deck is stacked against them.  And the primary reason that the PAC 12 wouldn’t consider UTSA is their lack academic prestige.  You put Rice academics with UTSA’s recent football success and their status as San Antonio’s D1 Football team, they are mentioned in PAC 12 expansion rumors before SMU, Rice and Tulane*.  

*Yes, before downvote or eye roll SMU, Rice and Tulane have be listed as possible Pac 12 expansion candidates from reputable sports news sources.  🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 5

On 4/11/2023 at 10:37 AM, cousin oliver said:

I loved the first minute of this video! Did anyone else catch what he said about the weather? He talks about one game in his time there that the team didn’t perform very well in bad weather. I remember that game, and I loved every drop of rain that fell at Apogee that day and was proud to stand in it and cheer on our Mean Green!

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Moobs said:

I loved the first minute of this video! Did anyone else catch what he said about the weather? He talks about one game in his time there that the team didn’t perform very well in bad weather. I remember that game, and I loved every drop of rain that fell at Apogee that day and was proud to stand in it and cheer on our Mean Green!

Those were Roadrunner tears.

• Haha 2