#1 UNT scrimmage video re-cap

Jonnyeagle

17 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Hype videos have taken over.  Gone are the days of full-recaps, where you can watch even a single replay from pre-snap to whistle, from a birds-eye view.

And thus, ironically, in this era of connectivity and cameras-everywhere, I know less about my team(s) then ever.

Preach on!  While I appreciate the artistry, "recap" is a misnomer.

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

Hype videos have taken over.  Gone are the days of full-recaps, where you can watch even a single replay from pre-snap to whistle, from a birds-eye view.

And thus, ironically, in this era of connectivity and cameras-everywhere, I know less about my team(s) then ever.

I try to avoid talking about up/down votes, but I felt like responding to the eye rolls and confusion.

If you will, let me assert my position: I LOVE the hype videos! I think there's a place for them.  But the football nerd in me is eager to see things such as:

1) what will our offense look like?
2) How does RB XYZ look in terms of speed/timing?
3) Does our QB fit our offense?
4) Who looks good on defense?
5) How does our defense move? Blitzes? Pre-snap deception/reaction?

...you do not get any of this with eye-level camera work that is meant to match a sound track.  Editing that equates to 2-3 seconds of only 1-4 players in frame.

I am completely on board with giving fans what they want, so if fans want these videos, make them.  But is there no more demand for any of the above answers?  I feel like there is an an opportunity and resource available that can satisfy all audiences and demands, and we are dropping the ball on some of them.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Couldn't find a better forum topic to post this, so here goes:

“There was good and bad,” UNT coach Eric Morris said. “The defense was better than the offense. We were a little sloppy on offense. We made a couple of big plays but were really bad in the red area and couldn’t punch the ball in.”

I LOVE that Morris is willing to be so open and honest with BV regarding his thoughts on the team. For 7 years (and really longer than that because McCarney wasn't a treat either), we had bland coach speak that never really resulted in encouraging information. Even here where he's openly criticizing the team, it shows that he's not wearing green-tinted glasses and sets expectations. I don't know, I just really like his style of communication.

• Upvote 2

On 4/9/2023 at 5:01 PM, greenminer said:

I try to avoid talking about up/down votes, but I felt like responding to the eye rolls and confusion.

If you will, let me assert my position: I LOVE the hype videos! I think there's a place for them.  But the football nerd in me is eager to see things such as:

...you do not get any of this with eye-level camera work that is meant to match a sound track.  Editing that equates to 2-3 seconds of only 1-4 players in frame.

I am completely on board with giving fans what they want, so if fans want these videos, make them.  But is there no more demand for any of the above answers?  I feel like there is an an opportunity and resource available that can satisfy all audiences and demands, and we are dropping the ball on some of them.

Not so sure the target audience for these is UNT fans as much as something HS players and the players like. I think many fans would like to see the information you listed.

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2023 at 6:01 PM, greenminer said:

I hear you and I too would love a detailed look behind the scenes. But it's a double-edge sword. All of that in-depth content can be used against us by our competition. Player evaluations, sideline & audible hand signals, formations, trick plays, etc would all be out in the open for other teams to scout. Imagine if we discover a rising star in spring practice only for SMU to catch wind by watching our tape, and then they decide to lure him away in May with $36K in NIL money.

If I'm a head coach, the last thing I want is for detailed practice film of my team to be online for the world to see. The risk isn't worth the reward.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, C Rod said:

I hear you and I too would love a detailed look behind the scenes. But it's a double-edge sword. All of that in-depth content can be used against us by our competition. Player evaluations, sideline & audible hand signals, formations, trick plays, etc would all be out in the open for other teams to scout. Imagine if we discover a rising star in spring practice only for SMU to catch wind by watching our tape, and then they decide to lure him away in May with $36K in NIL money.

If I'm a head coach, the last thing I want is for detailed practice film of my team to be online for the world to see. The risk isn't worth the reward.

I do not agree.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, C Rod said:

Which part? Did we not learn anything from Spygate and the lengths teams will go to gain a competitive advantage? 

I think a ton of game-deciding plans are implemented game week.  This "it will be used against us" is over-played in the spring.

In this hyper- competitive world, there are still coaches that have open practices, scrimmages, spring games.  Generations of coaches had no problem with being open.  It's not like cameras and local news coverage is something new.  What am I missing? 

If you have some game-changing idea that you do not want others to know about it, don't show it.  Otherwise, we know what formations a staff is going to run.

Is there something I am not thinking of?  Tell me why we need to have Spring practice in the IPF and lock it down from the outside world.