The 2023/24 UNT Basketball Transfer/Recruiting Tracker

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I like Stone’s defense.  Hope he finds his shot.

How much longer will it take to find his shot? You can either shoot or you can't. From what I've seen, he can't shoot. 

STATS
2022-23
2021-22

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
38 15.5 39.4 24.6 72.7 2.2 0.8 0.0 0.3 1.2 0.5 2.5
13 4.8 20.0 9.1 33.3 1.5 0.3 0.0 0.1 0.4 0.0 0.6
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

maybe? I mean, I think Edwards is better than Stone, but...and I can never seem to reiterate this enough...you don't always start your five best players. not sure why that seems so hard to grasp for some. 

You need to get realDR+PHIL+LOGO.png

There's a reason Tylor Perry could only muster 6MOTY in 21-22 pal.   It's because JJ is, and forever will be, the GOAT.
Murray.jpg&height=1100&type=webp

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Cooley said:

How much longer will it take to find his shot? You can either shoot or you can't. From what I've seen, he can't shoot. 

STATS
2022-23
2021-22

I would think Forte would be able assist in this part of his game…or any other player that wants to improve their shooting.  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You need to get realDR+PHIL+LOGO.png

There's a reason Tylor Perry could only muster 6MOTY in 21-22 pal.   It's because JJ is, and forever will be, the GOAT.
Murray.jpg&height=1100&type=webp

I think Stone would do well as the 2020-2021 version of JJ. Lockdown defender that is a utility 6M. Murray proved you don't need to score a lot to be an impact role player. Rubin could also fill that role, but he's way to important offensively not to start/ be the main ball handler.

That no look pass to Sissoko in the championship game was Magic-esque and absolutely filthy

Whatever Ross decides, this is the best UNT basketball has been in a very long time(probably ever), and for that I'm freaking pumped. 

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 3:00 PM, Cooley said:

STATS
2022-23
2021-22

thank god singing GIF by WE tv

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Don't think you mean that a shooter can't improve because it should be obvious they can.

Stone was a good scorer in high school and I believe he can be at NT.   I think it is a confidence issue more than talent. 

"Good scorer in high school" and good shooter in a D1 college program are  2 different things. Yes, I often see improvement in shooting but mainly in the NBA; over the course of a player's professional career. NBA basketball is their full time job where they receive a substantial bag to perfect their craft with the best coaches and training there is to offer. Many play in the league well over 10 years.

Phil Forte's HS and college teammate, Marcus Smart, is a good example. Shooting was Smart's weakness when he came into the league.

The question I posed was how long should it take a 4-5 year college player when they have already been in the program 2 years? I saw Stone play 3 full games in high schools on NFHS. He did not appear to be a lights out shooter that we want him to be. Their top player, Bijan Cortes, was a 4-Star kid that signed with OU. (just entered the portal). Stone was more of a facilitator at a forward position garnering many layups in the process (and occasional outside shots). 

A college coach today can't afford to wait on a kid to find and/or improve his shot with competition as fierce as it is. Wonder why the transfer portal is so ridiculously high every year? These kids were that dude or a co-dude in high school.

Lack of confidence and/or skills at the next level should have a certain shelf life. This team is coming off an NCAA tournament win, NIT championship and moving to an overall better basketball conference.

The question remain, how long should a college program wait on a kid?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Cooley said:

If we were solely relying on Stone to be a shooter, I would support your point. We’re not solely relying on his shooting, though. He plays defense, rebounds, and hustles.
If he earns playing time with those attributes while continuously working on his shot/game, then we’re in good shape. We don’t need him to be lights out, we need him to play hard and be able to hit a shot from time to time.  He’s not our primary scorer and that’s okay.  I hope Stone continues to develop and ends up finishing his career here. 

• Upvote 4

My take on Stone is that he plays offense with the same energy and urgency as he does defense and you can’t do that. On the offensive end he just needs to slow down and let the game come to him. He looks rushed many times which negatively effects his shot. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cooley said:

"Good scorer in high school" and good shooter in a D1 college program are  2 different things. Yes, I often see improvement in shooting but mainly in the NBA; over the course of a player's professional career. NBA basketball is their full time job where they receive a substantial bag to perfect their craft with the best coaches and training there is to offer. Many play in the league well over 10 years.

Phil Forte's HS and college teammate, Marcus Smart, is a good example. Shooting was Smart's weakness when he came into the league.

The question I posed was how long should it take a 4-5 year college player when they have already been in the program 2 years? I saw Stone play 3 full games in high schools on NFHS. He did not appear to be a lights out shooter that we want him to be. Their top player, Bijan Cortes, was a 4-Star kid that signed with OU. (just entered the portal). Stone was more of a facilitator at a forward position garnering many layups in the process (and occasional outside shots). 

A college coach today can't afford to wait on a kid to find and/or improve his shot with competition as fierce as it is. Wonder why the transfer portal is so ridiculously high every year? These kids were that dude or a co-dude in high school.

Lack of confidence and/or skills at the next level should have a certain shelf life. This team is coming off an NCAA tournament win, NIT championship and moving to an overall better basketball conference.

Cooley I agree with what you're saying about coaches today,but I remember player(Furmia Nealy) sp. that really worked on his shooting over the summer sophomore going Into his junior year. He became an outside threat and contributor, I'm not saying Stone will but maybe there's hope!

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2023 at 12:42 PM, Green Otaku said:

I thought I'd make a catch-all thread to keep track of the roster as well as who UNT is targeting in the portal/recruiting. 

Expected to return:

Rubin Jone

Aaron Scott

Moulaye Sissoko

Matthew Stone

Christian Moore

Arsh Mattu

Grayson Allo

Transferring:

Tylor Perry

Abou Ousmane

Chris Morgan (maybe?)

Out of Eligibility: 

Tyree Eady

Rasheed Browne

Jayden Martinez

Kai Huntsberry

Commits:

Alex Cotton

https://247sports.com/player/alex-cotton-46127654/

So we have 5 and possibly 6 scholarships left depending on what Chris Morgan decides to do.

Why not redo this and include the transfers in...Noland, Buggs, Allen and Edwards so that we have it all on one post?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Why not redo this and include the transfers in...Noland, Buggs, Allen and Edwards so that we have it all on one post?

Do you mean of the 1st page? @MGNation92 has the updated list a few posts up. 

On 6/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, MGNation92 said:

Updated List as of 6/5/23:

Expected to return:

Rubin Jones

Aaron Scott

Moulaye Sissoko

Matthew Stone

Christian Moore

Arsh Mattu

Grayson Allo

Chrisdon Morgan 

Transfers Signed: