Would you prefer we focus all of our resources towards basketball now?

Would you prefer we focus all of our resources towards basketball now?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer we focus all of our resources towards basketball now?

• Yes, winning NIT proves it
    • No, UNT will always need football
    • Undecided / Other

41 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm not saying drop football. I'm saying give a little extra love to basketball in favor of football moving forward.

We agree on this, but that's not what the question asked... The poll asks "Would you prefer we focus all of our resources towards basketball now?" If we focus all of our resources on basketball, that means we leave football out to wither on the vine. Not a smart move. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Basketball. A final 4 run amongst the top programs while beating several of the biggest names is much better than a single bowl game between opponents set by a mix of contract requirements and ESPN's viewership needs. One is a postseason tournament with the best players giving their all and the other is a postseason scrimmage that top players sit out of. Not even a question for me.

Re-read the question.  
If you still choose FAU over TCU/UCF in that hypothetical, I don’t know what to say.   You’re either really myopic, or you really love basketball. 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Re-read the question.  
If you still choose FAU over TCU/UCF in that hypothetical, I don’t know what to say.   You’re either really myopic, or you really love basketball. 😂

My bad. Misread that last part of your question. Didn't see you set TCU/UCF as the goal. Hard to compare since both TCU and UCF ended up going P5. I'm going off the premise we're not going to the Big 12 in 5 years. I'm looking at Boise State as the best a G5 football program can reach without moving up in conference. An incredible 20 years. One of the best in college football yet outside of a few seasons in the late 2000s, no seat at the table because they're still G5.

Look at March Madness bracketologists in recent years. Gonzaga and Houston were not considered mid-majors despite conference affiliation. THAT is getting a seat at the big boy table.

That said, to answer your question I'd take either one. Had this question been posed 5 years ago with Fine at QB my answer would be different. Right now, basketball is our strength. Ride the wave!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

We agree on this, but that's not what the question asked... The poll asks "Would you prefer we focus all of our resources towards basketball now?" If we focus all of our resources on basketball, that means we leave football out to wither on the vine. Not a smart move. 

Fair point. I didn't read the question in that level of an absolute. I read it more as all of our extra resources moving forward. So NIL would primarily be reserved for basketball, upcoming facility upgrades is primarily for basketball, marketing focused on basketball, and so on.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

So NIL would primarily be reserved for basketball, upcoming facility upgrades is primarily for basketball, marketing focused on basketball, and so on.

I'm sure the generous donors will have their say as to where their money goes. Texas is a football state first and foremost and money talks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

My bad. Misread that last part of your question. Didn't see you set TCU/UCF as the goal. Hard to compare since both TCU and UCF ended up going P5. I'm going off the premise we're not going to the Big 12 in 5 years. I'm looking at Boise State as the best a G5 football program can reach without moving up in conference. An incredible 20 years. One of the best in college football yet outside of a few seasons in the late 2000s, no seat at the table because they're still G5.

Look at March Madness bracketologists in recent years. Gonzaga and Houston were not considered mid-majors despite conference affiliation. THAT is getting a seat at the big boy table.

That said, to answer your question I'd take either one. Had this question been posed 5 years ago with Fine at QB my answer would be different. Right now, basketball is our strength. Ride the wave!

I think the difference between us and Boise St. is location.   
Again, I think UNT and UCF are very, very similar.  The only difference is that UCF doesn't have an existing P5 private school, and a P5-thirsty private school with money to blow within a 40 mile radius.   Otherwise, both are large "directional" schools in large metro areas in football-talented hotbeds.   Boise St. is none of those things, so they were never going to move up anyway.

The problem for UNT is that UCF got serious about football in 2004, hiring George O'Leary.  Meanwhile, UNT's leadership decided they were not going to pay a real football coach, and hired Todd Dodge, then Dan McCarney.    So, by the time President Smatresk arrived in 2014, and UNT finally got serious, we were already 10 years behind UCF's climb.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Thanks for proving my point.  It took them 33 years to recover.  When they dropped football, they realized an immediate drop in enrollment.

Not to belabor the point, but it appears UTA has had a higher enrollment than us for a number of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_universities_in_Texas_by_enrollment

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Not to belabor the point, but it appears UTA has had a higher enrollment than us for a number of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_universities_in_Texas_by_enrollment

Not to belabor the point, but when they dropped their football program in 1985, it was reported that they experienced a drop in enrollment at that time.  Even if you take that out of the equation, the lack of school spirit and caring is glaring.  It is a true commuter school that people rarely talk or care about.